advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Creating a Strong Bench arch / Getting the feet back to the buttocks ....

bencher001

Newbies
When Flat Bench pressing although I use a slight arch, I don't get anywhere the chest height I could and also my feet I have noticed are too far forward in relation to my buttocks.

Earlier tonight I have been really trying to correct this by getting my feet as far back as possible and my chest as high as possible with as good as arch as I can get right now - the only problem is I find it very uncomfortable and I find it takes a lot of effort and energy getting into the position and holding it tight.

Did anyone else find this at first and does it get easier over time to hold and get into?

What exercises do people tend to do to get the quads and back more flexible to be able to do it more effectively?

Any advice is Greatly appreciated :)

Depends on your body mass IMO, don't think of the back as an arch think of it as a spring board. To get that spring board as elastic as possible you need to pull the slack out, skinny individuals need to arch to do that but for many you need much less. This should allow for more back engagement, you should feel stable when your backs engaged.

Most benches are 17-19 inches high...if you are tall it is almost impossible to get those super arches you see with short lifters...it is a matter of geometry...for the "feet back" arch to be effective your thighs must be pointing down toward the floor...if you are tall there is no way this is possible unless the bench is raised to 22-24 inches high...

When Flat Bench pressing although I use a slight arch, I don't get anywhere the chest height I could and also my feet I have noticed are too far forward in relation to my buttocks.

Earlier tonight I have been really trying to correct this by getting my feet as far back as possible and my chest as high as possible with as good as arch as I can get right now - the only problem is I find it very uncomfortable and I find it takes a lot of effort and energy getting into the position and holding it tight.

Did anyone else find this at first and does it get easier over time to hold and get into?

What exercises do people tend to do to get the quads and back more flexible to be able to do it more effectively?

Any advice is Greatly appreciated :)
i competed once in a powerlifting meet and i'm a lightweight (figuratively and literally) but with my competition style bench and arch, i couldn't do a ton of reps in that fashion. It took too much energy to hold the position. I'm tall and long and used a VERY big arch to compensate for having long arms; it's not for high rep sets, at least for me it wasn't. You also need flexibility in your hips and lower back if using a big arch, not unlike a wrestler's bridge. Of course, practice will help and it took time getting used to; it's almost a completely different movement than a bodybuilding style flat back bench press and that's before you even get into elbow positions. Also, too much arch, you will lose leg drive if that's something you utilize. Not all great benchers use a big arch. It's not for everyone.

You can get a 6" diameter hard foam roller and put in your power back to help develop the ability to develop a big arch...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131