advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Creeping intolerance with Whey (isolate included)?

hawkmoon

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone else get this after several years of shakes? I think it might be age related as well (52 this year for the uninitiated).
It happens irrespective of brands, mostly now using MyProtein isolate for reference.

I feel bloated, but not gassy.
I feel like it all tastes terrible these days somehow, regardless of flavor.
I get a chill/shiver when swallowing it down. No gagging, but quite unpleasant.
Curiously, when in my oats it doesn't make me feel awful, but I still probably get bloated.
One shake a day now is all I can take.
I take enzymes with every meal/shake.

Working from home for over a year now - and it seems as long as I want - I can probably go all-food.
I suspect it could be growing intolerance with age, something something Dante has warned us about.

Congratulations...you lived in japan long enough to actually turn japanese and have milk products kill you!

Seriously though, same thing happened to me due to a possibly dormant autoimmune disease...I woke up one day and could no longer tolerate beer, wine, cauliflower, and a lot of dairy wether it contained lactose or not.

I eventually discovered that there are a few brands I could tolerate though

I refused to acknowledge the fact that whey was causing me problems because it hadn’t for YEARS. I finally dropped it from my diet and replaced it with shakes from whole foods or just meals if I had the time. I feel a LOT better to be off the powder. Less bloating, less gas, and I swear I actually got stronger in my joints (my major problem area because of some pretty serious crashes in my 20s).

PS EAAs and extra leucine peri-workout don’t bother me at all.

I refused to acknowledge the fact that whey was causing me problems because it hadn’t for YEARS. I finally dropped it from my diet and replaced it with shakes from whole foods or just meals if I had the time. I feel a LOT better to be off the powder. Less bloating, less gas, and I swear I actually got stronger in my joints (my major problem area because of some pretty serious crashes in my 20s).

Sounds similar to where I am. Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I can only tolerate TN whey isolate and Dymatize ISO-100 , every other brand gives me bloated stomach and many give me terrible gas.
Since my surgery I've had to incorporate a shake with each meal to get enough Protein in because I can only get down 4oz-5oz at a time and I've been trying alot of different brands.
I've been contemplating trying the pea protein as I've heard it is very easy to digest

Almost all whey gives me atleast a little discomfort, farts, burps, etc

I don't even buy protein powder for that reason, although I did just order 10lbs of ultra cmf from TN

When I mix mine in Greek yogurt it doesn't bloat me??? 🤷

Same age as you Hawkmoon and i had similar issues. When i mix 2 scoops into my COR, seems to be better.

Do you think the artificial sweeteners play any part?

depending on the brand, I had to be very careful with whey. The results would destroy a bathroom.

Anything that slows digestion of whey seems to help, in my experience. I add mine to kefir for that reason

Its strange how much the gut changes when you get older. Im 51. Now I cant eat spicy food or many kinds of nuts because they give me cramps and diarrhea. Foods that were fine with me just 2 years ago now give me bad problems. I am becoming more and more like my parents!

Once I got into my mid 50's I started to notice that many things didn't digest as well as when I was younger,. But that is to be expected for most unfortunately. Most processes don't stay the same no matter how much we wish they would. I have taken probiotic, prebiotics and digestive enzymes for longer then I have had slower digestion. Can't say yogurt, kefir or anything else has gotten me back to where I can eat anything i want with no side effects, which is how it was. But I still take those things to augment the process the best I can. As a paraplegic friend of mine says, you have to be tough to get older.

I only have issues with Whey when I straight out drink it for whatever reason, once I mix it in oatmeal, yogurt or add it to protein pancakes no issues at all. Go figure.

Would you mind sharing some of your whole food shake recipes? I'm 47 and had to have an emergency small bowel resection surgery last year and have had similar digestive issues ever since...

I kind of depend on whey powder since I get indigestion and heartburn from everything, I dont know what would be the solution for me, I cant really eat much whole foods , more liquid egg whites? gag

This is my understanding from years of experience, an industry insider like Dante could probably shed more light on this and correct me if I'm wrong.

Generally, all whey isolate starts out the same, massive cheese processing plants make 90% pure whey isolate using industry-standard techniques. Even though this isolate looks the same on paper I have found differences in digestibility between wholesale brands. When supplement companies buy this protein powder from these big companies, most of them go with whatever is cheapest and most available, since on paper they look exactly the same. But the fact is, there seems to be a difference in quality between these technically identical bulk protein powders. Higher quality companies try to contract with wholesale vendors that produce higher quality isolate, when they can, it seems even the best companies sometimes run short on isolate suppliers and have to shop around.

I personally have good results with grass-fed, soy free, and unflavored whey isolate from a good source. I have tried cheaper companies and had poor results with what should be the exact same protein powder.

BTW I also always add greek yogurt to my shakes, and I only use 35g of whey per shake.

Current shake is:
35g unflavored grass fed why isolate
25g raw oatmeal
30g whole milk greek yogurt
20g peanut butter
30g 'power greens' (spinach, chard, kale mix from Costco, I freeze it)
60g frozen strawberries

Would you mind sharing some of your whole food shake recipes? I'm 47 and had to have an emergency small bowel resection surgery last year and have had similar digestive issues ever since...
They’re super simple.

I do two a day and I always have 4oz orange juice and 4oz baked salmon and add sweet potatoes or kale/spinach or banana or pea starch. The juice is key for the fish because without it the shake tastes fishy but with it you can’t really get that fishy taste.

I take 2g fish oil capsules AM and 2g PM and 1/2lb salmon total per day. Since I started that my digestion improved, my mood is a little better and my joints feel better/less inflammation.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws