over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Critique my diet

bigrig44

Newbies
I'm needing some tips or advice or anything on my diet here. I'm about to start bulking since the summer is pretty much over. Here is what my diet is looking like. I haven't run numbers yet. Might do that today.

Meal 1 - 5egg whites + 3 whole eggs
1cup oatmeal
1 scoop of optimum proteing
2tbsp of natural peanut butter
these ingredients are blended up and then cooked on the stove like a pancake. It makes about 3 good size pancakes.

Meal 2 - Tuna Sandwich
1can tuna
2 slices of wheat bread
2 slices of cheese
some pickles and mustard for taste
1/2cup brown rice
1cup Broccoli
1/2cup cottage cheese

Meal 3 - 2 pieces of steak, not sure what kinda cut. some help here would be good. I don't know about the good and bad cuts of beef. Preferably something that is affordable.
1 yam
1cup Broccoli
3-4 fig newtons or other flavors

Meal 4 - 1cup pasta
8-10oz of ground beef with tomato sauce
1cup broccoli

Meal 5 - Pre-workout
Weight gainer shake
either homemade or cytogainer
homemade will be made with milk
2 scoops optimum protein
2tbsp peanut butter
a little honey
1/2cup of oatmeal

Meal 6 - Post-workout
2 scoops of Nectar protein
2cups of fresh fruit - stawberries, blueberries,
blackberries

Meal 7 - Not sure quite yet. I need a whole food meal though. Going to be something with some meat though. I might make a hamburger or something. Have some more veggies on the side and maybe some macaroni and cheese.

Meal 8 - 2 scoops of muscle milk
1 scoop of optimum whey protein
2tbsp of peanut butter

I may add cottage cheese to my 3 and 4 meals. Let me know what you think. I'm off to run the numbers now.

How about some specific about "you"?!?! Are you currently 150# or 300#? Where's your current body fat. What are your goals - just weight or mainly LBM?

xcel

Where's my manners - Sorry!

Welcome to the board!!

xcel

xcelbeyond said:
How about some specific about "you"?!?! Are you currently 150# or 300#? Where's your current body fat. What are your goals - just weight or mainly LBM?

xcel

Yeah...that might be helpful.
I'm 6'4" and 230lbs right now. Not sure of body fat. My goal is to gain weight right now. I'm not to worried about LBM since it's the end of the summer. I'll be starting a cycle along with this diet as well.
Thank you for the welcome! I thought I had posted here before for some reason. I'll have to check this board out a little bit more.

Looks like you put good thought into this!

I'd say to monitor your BF and if it starts to get out of check, reduce carbs. Simple method to check BF is to use a tape measure around your waist, placed directly over your belly button - that way you're measuring the same spot. Make sure you try and keep the same tension on tape.

xcel

Last edited:
I came up with the final numbers and slightly revised diet.
Meal 1 -
5egg whites + 3 whole eggs
1cup oatmeal
2tbsp of natural peanut butter
these ingredients are blended up and then cooked on the stove like a pancake. It makes about 3 good size pancakes.

Meal 2 - Tuna Sandwich
1can tuna
2 slices of wheat bread
2 slices of cheese
some pickles and mustard for taste
1cup Broccoli
1/2cup cottage cheese
Soy Crisps

Meal 3 -
1/2 pound of beef
1/2 cup brown rice
1cup Broccoli
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Meal 4 -
3/4 cup pasta
1/2 pound ground beef with tomato sauce
1cup broccoli

Meal 5 - Pre-workout
Weight gainer shake
either homemade or cytogainer
homemade will be made with milk
2 scoops optimum protein
2tbsp peanut butter
a little honey
1/2cup of oatmeal

Meal 6 - Post-workout
2 scoops of Nectar protein
1 banana
1 cup of berries
also I have some orange candy slices right after my workout until I get some maltodextrin powder. These total about 50g of carbs

Meal 7 -
1/2 ground beef for a hamburger
1 cup broccoli
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Meal 8 - 2 scoops of muscle milk
1 scoop of optimum whey protein
2tbsp of peanut butter

This totals up to be 5457 calories, 177g fat, 457g carbs and 486g or protein.

I take it you don't like brocolli?!?!

You know you can also have green beans, romain lettuce, spinach (green veggies). I don't count green veggies as carbs (they're simply fiber and water) but can include them in calorie total.

Looks good, just monitor your progress.

xcel

Welcome Bigrig44.

Couple of comments on your diet:

(1) Personally, I think your carbs are too high, at least they would be for me. I'd gain a significant amount of fat and hold more water as a result of the excess carbs. If it were my diet, I'd target about 200g of carbs.

(2) Essential Fatty Acids! I don't see any dedicated sources (although the peanut butter is a start). In place of the carbs I just threw out, I get some EFAs and shoot for 70-100g of EFAs. I like to get mine thru a brand of EFAs made by "Health from the Sun - Total EFA". I buy a bottle weekly and use 4-6 tablespoons every day (1 Tablespoon is about 12g of EFA's). By upping my EFA's and lowering my carbs, I get body adjusted to using fats for fuel instead of carbs.

When I diet I drop carbs down to <100g day and up the EFA's even more. If you follow my recommendation above, total calorie count will be similar as EFA's are 9cal/gram vs. carbs at 4/cal gram.

good luck bro,

DrG

Thanks for the input. I personally need more than 200g of carbs otherwise I feel like crap. Although you are right, the carb number may be to high. I'll have to see how things go and adjust as needed. I didn't actually put that in there but I do have EFAs that I will be taking. I didn't put in any supplements or vitamins or anything like that in my post. I have them all...I just left them out of my diet thread. Thank you for the info and feedback!

BigRig - on a very low carb diet (<50g/day) everybody feels kinda shitty, but what I am recommending, 200g/day is not really that low carb. Also I know from my experience that the initial crappy feelings go away after my body gets use to using fat for energy instead of carbs. Something to consider.

DrG

drgoodbody said:
BigRig - on a very low carb diet (<50g/day) everybody feels kinda shitty, but what I am recommending, 200g/day is not really that low carb. Also I know from my experience that the initial crappy feelings go away after my body gets use to using fat for energy instead of carbs. Something to consider.

DrG

I know exactly what you are saying. I've done the keto style diet before and felt great because my fat intake was so high and my carbs were around 30g a day. I think my body does better on a higher fat diet for energy than it does with carbs. It converts the fat better than it does carbs...at least from what I have experienced. But I've also done a diet that was around 200g of carbs and my workouts suffered greatly. I need more than that for energy. I agree with you on how much better you feel once the body converts fat for energy instead of carbs. I actually feel a lot better and it only took me about 2 days and i was fine.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws