over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

CT Scan help

Big Vin

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
Recently discovered a non painful small bulge in my abdomen (right side). Doctor poked around and thought it could be a hernia or "maybe nothing". Anyway I had a CT scan done (with contrast) and here are the findings...need some help deciphering this:

Impression: Mild symmetric perinephric fat stranding which may be chronic inflammatory or related to a early developing pyelonephritis. Correlation with urinalysis/urine culture as indicated.
Constipation without bowel obstruction or ileus.
Normal appendix
Suspected scattered predominant subcentimeter bilateral renal cyst too small to fully characterize.

What does all mean? No hernia or tear anywhere?

I am...but couldn't get a follow up appointment until 8/24. Came to the board where I hope to find someone that can shed some light on the results before that.

A quick google by me seems to think there is nothing pressing especially in the near term. an hour or 2 with google should give you a pretty good ides. I had a CT last year due to some subcutaneous hematomas that i had on my side. And the list of things that came back from the CT was far more depressing the the ongoing issue i had been dealing with for over a year. I am thinking who ever invented the CT was evil.

Stewie would be the best person to answer this

Recently discovered a non painful small bulge in my abdomen (right side). Doctor poked around and thought it could be a hernia or "maybe nothing". Anyway I had a CT scan done (with contrast) and here are the findings...need some help deciphering this:

Impression: Mild symmetric perinephric fat stranding which may be chronic inflammatory or related to a early developing pyelonephritis. Correlation with urinalysis/urine culture as indicated.
Constipation without bowel obstruction or ileus.
Normal appendix
Suspected scattered predominant subcentimeter bilateral renal cyst too small to fully characterize.

What does all mean? No hernia or tear anywhere?
Based on the interpretation by the radiologist, it doesn't look to be any hernia. The perinepthric fat stranding means that the radiologist is seeing that your kidney is inflammed at the parenchyma (function tissue) level, which is typically consistent with acute pyelonephritis (APN) findings. APN is bacterial infection of the kidney functional tissue, which is why they are suggesting a urinalysis/culture to confirm an infection and to see which type of bacteria is causing it. For the small bulge that you can feel, the doctor may suggest an ultrasound at that location. Also, if you are seeing a General Surgeon who is used to dealing with abdominal herniations and treatment, he may be able to notice something on the images that the radiologist did not recognize or pick up.

For example, my knee MRI did not pick up on me having plica syndrome. However, based on physical findings and the Ortho looking at my MRI, he was able to see a piece of plica that was causing the issues and he did surgery to remove it. I would follow up with your physician and if you are just seeing a PCP, ask for a referral to a General Surgeon who has experience with gastro issues and hernia repairs. He will be able to best guide you on the next course of action.

Keep us updated!

If there is a chance that you have an infection, its a bit strange to me that they are just going to let you sit until the 24th while you could be infected. They must not be concerned too much about the findings and dont want to just throw antibiotics at it when they dont know if youre infected or not.

If there is a chance that you have an infection, its a bit strange to me that they are just going to let you sit until the 24th while you could be infected. They must not be concerned too much about the findings and dont want to just throw antibiotics at it when they dont know if youre infected or not.
Thats what I'm thinking...must not be too concerned. I'm going to follow up though and hope for the best. No pain so far. That bulge concerns me too...will follow up with surgeon on that one as well.

Thats what I'm thinking...must not be too concerned. I'm going to follow up though and hope for the best. No pain so far. That bulge concerns me too...will follow up with surgeon on that one as well.
Try to look at it from the glass is half full perspective. Sounds like it's not serious, because if it were they'd have you on meds right away.

Post up some of the images.

I will , once I get them. Right now I just have the report.

I will , once I get them. Right now I just have the report.

I choose NOT to read the radiologist's report and prefer to first read the imaging studies myself. Then I read what the rad report says and proceed from there.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws