over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cupping for tight muscles and Muscle soreness

Something else that somewhat relates to the topic is ice baths. It used to be kind of standard practise from what I can tell, still is popular in some circles. You could finds thousands and thousands of athletes who will swear it "works." But then you've had newer svience saying it does nothing of benefit and is possibly detrimental. Even icing actute sprains and injuries has been abandoned, even by the guy who coined the "RICE" regimen. What I'm saying is that many of these modalities may feel some way but may not work as we think.

@KillerStack to characterize the current body of the literature, it looks like Graston and Cupping Therapy do worse than myofascial release and often placebo. ART is mostly case studies, no rigorous randomized-controlled trials that I can find. And overall, (compressive) myofascial release seems best (most supported by the most rigorous evidence). Basically what I thought. I might make a post with some references if people would have an interest.

Prevention will always be better than cure.

If you need massage therapy every week, then you are training poorly or having insufficient rest or sleep.

If you are a pro athlete, then, this may be mandatory and needs massages every week.

But for the majority here, it is better to readjust their rest and training than to keep patching.

I've always had shoulder pain, solution was as simple as doing lighter dumbbell in side and rear raises, and swapping the peck deck machine for the crossover with bands.
I have daily massage therapy, RPW (radial pressure wave), dry needling, cupping, ART, chiropractic and scraping done. Not sure where the heck you are coming from mate. Rest has no variance for trigger point release.

Does anybody know if cupping actually helps with tight muscles and soreness? I've seen it done on people, but I don't really know if it works or makes it better. Any opinions?
If lactic acid is purely the issue I highly suggest a set of normatecs. They have various attachments for nearly every body part.

Also 2-3x IV therapy, go with a full liter not 500cc.

@KillerStack to characterize the current body of the literature, it looks like Graston and Cupping Therapy do worse than myofascial release and often placebo. ART is mostly case studies, no rigorous randomized-controlled trials that I can find. And overall, (compressive) myofascial release seems best (most supported by the most rigorous evidence). Basically what I thought. I might make a post with some references if people would have an interest.
My hand is massively in the air for that post mate.

I have daily massage therapy, RPW (radial pressure wave), dry needling, cupping, ART, chiropractic and scraping done. Not sure where the heck you are coming from mate. Rest has no variance for trigger point release.

You must be a pro athlete then, but not even some IFBB pros are in such need of tissue repair.

Rest and nutrition will affect the recovery and repair of tissues, but it is smarter to analyze which parts of the training are causing the disabling aches and pains.

Of course, anyone will have aches and pains if you lift weight and train to failure, but that does not mean that you need to receive a daily massage, of any kind.

You must be a pro athlete then, but not even some IFBB pros are in such need of tissue repair.

Rest and nutrition will affect the recovery and repair of tissues, but it is smarter to analyze which parts of the training are causing the disabling aches and pains.

Of course, anyone will have aches and pains if you lift weight and train to failure, but that does not mean that you need to receive a daily massage, of any kind.
Hey brother, for damaged muscle cells 100%. For trigger points, myo-fascial problems, tendon and ligament issues R/R simply is not enough. Proactive therapy is really the only way here in my opinion.

Not a pro athlete however my career is based upon my ability to perform at a high level physically.

By compressive myofacial release are you referring to body tempering and voodoo floss type therapy?

Always thought it looked pointless but it does make sense that it would be good for pulling the skin away from the muscle. Now what actual benefit that would have for someone whose skin isn't attached the muscle, idk.

Hey brother, for damaged muscle cells 100%. For trigger points, myo-fascial problems, tendon and ligament issues R/R simply is not enough. Proactive therapy is really the only way here in my opinion.

Not a pro athlete however my career is based upon my ability to perform at a high level physically.

I'm probably going to say something no one wants to hear, but the best bodybuilders of the past, from the 90s and 2000s, were they getting all these treatments? Ice baths? The foam to roll? Tissue release?

For any person who does not compete at highest level this is necessary?

I'm probably going to say something no one wants to hear, but the best bodybuilders of the past, from the 90s and 2000s, were they getting all these treatments? Ice baths? The foam to roll? Tissue release?

Same argument could be said that NASA back in the day got guys to the moon using computers the size of rooms…. Why do they need the newest tech for the Artemis launch?

We have new and fantastic resources at our fingertips that can increase athletic output, pain management, and injury prevention leading to a higher quality of life.

How we used to do things doesn’t matter outside of nostalgia. What matters is we continue to adapt and evolve implementing new tech and modalities for all facets of our lives to increase quality of life and make our goals more easily attainable.

I am the first to state a lot of this stuff is complete rubbish and often it just helps people relax (placebo effect) and that in turn makes them think it works. However some of this stuff (art and massage etc) can have a great effect. Your logic is off when you put everything in the same bracket. It's like the guys on here who state all supplements are bullshit which is also nonsense. Some things are bullshit and others work. What difference does it make if someone is a pro athlete or not. Some non pro's destroy their bodies on a daily basis. That could be training, cardio, hiking, skating, boxing, wrestling etc etc. Some guys on here are training to failure daily and doing hours of cardio. Massage and art etc 100% work. Have you actually had any of this stuff done? Pro's in the 90 and 00's didn't do any of this so it must be pointless? That is simply a time factor and most of this stuff didn't exist. Now sure a lot of it is complete crap and people do overcomplicate things at times but that is besides the point. Jay Cutler actually does this (art, massage etc) more than pretty much any pro and he said at one point he was spending $1000 per week on treatments. Now that is obviously overkill but regular massage/therapy sessions can make a massive difference.

Same argument could be said that NASA back in the day got guys to the moon using computers the size of rooms…. Why do they need the newest tech for the Artemis launch?

We have new and fantastic resources at our fingertips that can increase athletic output, pain management, and injury prevention leading to a higher quality of life.

How we used to do things doesn’t matter outside of nostalgia. What matters is we continue to adapt and evolve implementing new tech and modalities for all facets of our lives to increase quality of life and make our goals more easily attainable.

That is a topic of discussion that needs a lot of depth. And this board it is not the place for it. But when technology does everything, the human being will lose the meaning of life, and he will basically be a hedonistic parasite.

Returning to the subject, the guys at NASA are getting better results or knowledge as their technology progresses.

My question is, the guys who are using better recovery treatments, the same amount of food or gear as the athletes of the 90s ... should look the same or better than those guys. So if we can talk about progress.

I'm not even going to mention the people on this board because I have no idea how they look, but if we look at today's pros athletes, everyone agrees that the 90s were the golden age.

More gurus, more recovery techniques, more knowledge of nutrition, more modern drugs, better gyms equipments = Worse bodies on the stage.

I am the first to state a lot of this stuff is complete rubbish and often it just helps people relax (placebo effect) and that in turn makes them think it works. However some of this stuff (art and massage etc) can have a great effect. Your logic is off when you put everything in the same bracket. It's like the guys on here who state all supplements are bullshit which is also nonsense. Some things are bullshit and others work. What difference does it make if someone is a pro athlete or not. Some non pro's destroy their bodies on a daily basis. That could be training, cardio, hiking, skating, boxing, wrestling etc etc. Some guys on here are training to failure daily and doing hours of cardio. Massage and art etc 100% work. Have you actually had any of this stuff done? Pro's in the 90 and 00's didn't do any of this so it must be pointless? That is simply a time factor and most of this stuff didn't exist. Now sure a lot of it is complete crap and people do overcomplicate things at times but that is besides the point. Jay Cutler actually does this (art, massage etc) more than pretty much any pro and he said at one point he was spending $1000 per week on treatments. Now that is obviously overkill but regular massage/therapy sessions can make a massive difference.

I remember Jay's DVDs, was the first time a bodybuilder was shown getting regular massages.

At no time have I said that having massages is not necessary, I said that receiving massages every day is absolutely meaningless. In no known sport that happens.

Professional athletes receive daily therapy when recovering from an injury, otherwise, they will only train and have massages and recovery treatments after a match or competition.

Getting massages every day would be like taking ibuprofen every day. Who thinks that this process of thought and treatment is logical?

Compressive myofascial release is basically massage, e.g., sports massage, and encompasses self-myofascial release (foam rolling).
Are you familiar with body tempering? How do you feel about it? I’ve used voodoo floss enough to be a believer, but haven’t tried tempering

It does hurt, but that’s exactly what your doing. Your skin is held down by adherens junctions which are kind of like little tissue hairs that hold the skin to the facia. This can become scarred and bound up prevent sliding surfaces. The cupping and sliding literally pees this part like Velcro. Derek Farnsworth does amazing works with grastons and stuff

Got work done by Farnsworth one time. Def worth the cost. Justin Compton was off season in his prime and was in right before me. I've met plenty of big guys in person before including Hafthor but I think Justin was the most impressive guy I've met/seen.

Honestly, this is the first I think I've heard of either.
Oh really? Voodoo floss is a compression band that is wrapped around injured areas, especially joints, and then moved through range of motion. Created by Dick Hartzel of jump stretch bands. Popular in sports like the nfl and mlb. The idea is say a guy sprains an ankle, you wrap it with the band over the shoe which reduces pain and move orb through range of motion and it drastically increases healing time. I’ve used it to rid myself of lateral epicondylitis. Body tempering is essentially a heavy steel
Roller used to diffuse tissue of the back, legs, etc popularized by Donnie Thompson

I met Brian Shaw once at a strongman event. I was a pretty big guy at the time. 6’1” and 264 pounds. Didn’t feel small
Next to too many people. I’ve got pretty big hands too. But when I shook his hand his absolutely engulfed mine. It was like shaking a hockey goalies mit. I couldn’t fucking believe how big he was
Got work done by Farnsworth one time. Def worth the cost. Justin Compton was off season in his prime and was in right before me. I've met plenty of big guys in person before including Hafthor but I think Justin was the most impressive guy I've met/seen.

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear