over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

current diet

I'm in the mid 230s now. I think I was 237 that particular morning.

Shelby, You look bigger at 237 then the shots you recently posted up of you at 245!! Arms look huge, back is thick as hell!!

Whats the reason for the weight-loss since you are still bulking?

I'm curious though, how did you arrive at this diet? What I mean is, was this trial and error or something more guided? And what did you find didn't work on your path to get to what you posted above?

I've been doing this stuff for a long time... I'm Captain Trial and Error, lol. I study a lot too though - I don't just try anything out. I know how my body responds to manipulations, and I adjust accordingly.

This diet is MY diet though - none of my clients are using this exact setup. Everyone responds to different variables in different ways... and that response can change over time, too. What worked for you a couple months ago might not work for you this month. Bodybuilding is a moving target.

Shelby , what is the "about" amount of cals in that diet , looks good and pretty easy to follow

I think the training days are roughly 3300 calories or so. The off days are maybe 2700ish?

Shelby, You look bigger at 237 then the shots you recently posted up of you at 245!! Arms look huge, back is thick as hell!!

Whats the reason for the weight-loss since you are still bulking?

I'm not bulking - I'm bodybuilding.

Blood pressure was 118 / 67 this morning.

I think the training days are roughly 3300 calories or so. The off days are maybe 2700ish?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but how does a guy your size grow off just ~3300 calories/day?

Shelby,

Are you concerned with total caloric intake or macronutrient intake more? In this case I see it as high protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs. Is that the route you'd take for carb sensitive people that need to bulk?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but how does a guy your size grow off just ~3300 calories/day?

Because he is not caught up in the calorie is a calorie bullshit. He looks at the nutrition in each meal, what is can do for your body, and loads up on nutrients....

JM

Calories are important but so is nutrient timing, nutrient partitioning, supplementation, training, recovery, etc.
This isn't a plan to add slabs of muscle though - it's more of a maintenance / slow gain plan. I may increase calories for periods of time later this offseason... but I may also decrease them for periods of time. I never stick with a plan 'forever' - I think that's a mistake a lot of guys make... they say "this is my offseason diet" then use it way past the point that they should have used it for. Things need to be monitored and adjusted on a regular basis. We are dynamic organisms.

Shelby,

In this case I see it as high protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs. Is that the route you'd take for carb sensitive people that need to bulk?

Generally speaking, yes. I also use different variations of carb cycling with more 'carb sensitive' individuals.

Will a clean, nutritious, and properly manipulated lower calorie diet be superior for muscle gains than one that's a little dirtier but has more calories for the same person?

Not a lot dirtier, but like cheats 1-2x week and not as cautious in nutrient timing but food is clean 90% of the time. As opposed to no cheating, 100% clean but a significant difference in calories(about 750kcal).

Will a clean, nutritious, and properly manipulated lower calorie diet be superior for muscle gains than one that's a little dirtier but has more calories for the same person?

Not a lot dirtier, but like cheats 1-2x week and not as cautious in nutrient timing but food is clean 90% of the time. As opposed to no cheating, 100% clean but a significant difference in calories(about 750kcal).

There are too many variables missing here - how many calories is the cleaner diet? What's the person's metabolism like? Extra calories above and beyond what are needed to build muscle will just add fat... bloat... higher blood pressure... labored breathing... a higher food bill... lethargy... uncomfort... more time needed to diet when it comes time to...
You need a caloric excess to build muscle, but you don't need gluttony.

You have to do what's comfortable for YOU though - if following a strict plan makes you dread bodybuilding, then you'll never stick to it.

Find what you enjoy and will be consistent with - that's what matters most.

There are too many variables missing here - how many calories is the cleaner diet? What's the person's metabolism like? Extra calories above and beyond what are needed to build muscle will just add fat... bloat... higher blood pressure... labored breathing... a higher food bill... lethargy... uncomfort... more time needed to diet when it comes time to...
You need a caloric excess to build muscle, but you don't need gluttony.

You have to do what's comfortable for YOU though - if following a strict plan makes you dread bodybuilding, then you'll never stick to it.

Find what you enjoy and will be consistent with - that's what matters most.

This is why I think its such a good idea to hire a trainer like Shelby to help you get everything squared away and the right food at the right time.

Shelby , major props to you for offering so much helpfull info to everybody here for free , your a true ambasador of the sport::ction-sm

Shelby would it be beneficial or not make a difference on the night shake to switch it to 25 g whey and 50 g casein. I would think more slow proteins would keep you more anabolic during your sleep?

Shelby would it be beneficial or not make a difference on the night shake to switch it to 25 g whey and 50 g casein. I would think more slow proteins would keep you more anabolic during your sleep?

I think the whole "fast/slow" protein thing is a bit overdone. Once you add fats (like I do with extra virgin olive oil, or macadamia nut oil), you're already slowing down the digestion quite a bit.

And you don't automagically become 'catabolic' if you don't eat any protein overnight - it's just an easy way to get in some more calories to support growth and recovery.

I just use 50g whey and 25g casein because I have some casein lying around, but a lot more whey lying around :D

There is a ton of merit in this thread so far, and at the current rate, it could turn out to be one of the best this board has ever had. Here is why I'm saying this...

Bodybuilding, if that is your chosen hobby/sport, requires some serious dedication. I started to realize that a large portion of this board doesn't compete or never really pays attention to bodybuilding at all. That's not a bad thing in my opinion. However, you will see people asking questions about topics regarding diet mainly, that I just assume everyone is going to know that's serious about the sport. It's hard to stick to a style of eating to produce results AND do it without taking short cuts. Notice the calculated change in Shelby's diet from training to non training days. It's not a huge swing. I see guys make drastic, and in my opinion reckless, changes to their diets without figuring out what's really going to produce the best results. They just figure it's the off season or they want to put on size so they blast their calories through the roof. Sometimes a couple hundred calories above maintence might be all that's needed to cause the extra growth. Go way above that and you bog down your body in my opinion making much harder to complete the intended purpose which is building muscle.

I like it when guys figure out what works for them and then people, because they see guys eat 8000 calories, question how it's possible to grow on half that or less. What I've said is not a flame on anyone by the way. It just takes a long time to figure some of this out and because everyone is different, it's never "cookie cutter" and never will be. Sometimes a simple change is all it takes to create an even bigger one.

A

In retrospect, the calories are probably a few hundred higher than I posted. I rarely go by calories (just macros) so forgot to include 'incidentals' like the fat in meats, the protein and carbs in nuts, etc. So maybe 3500-3600 on training days, and 3000ish on off days. Somewhere around there, anyways.

Also - remember that bodybuilding is an interplay of diet, training, and hormones. If any one of those is sub-optimal, so will be your results.

Great info. I think what most fail to realize is that you have to be very disiciplined in both your offseason and pre-contest. I enjoy your threads shelby and you have made some awesome gains in a very short period of time. Best of luck on your next competition. Thanks again for your opinions and insight.

In retrospect, the calories are probably a few hundred higher than I posted. I rarely go by calories (just macros) so forgot to include 'incidentals' like the fat in meats, the protein and carbs in nuts, etc. So maybe 3500-3600 on training days, and 3000ish on off days. Somewhere around there, anyways.

Also - remember that bodybuilding is an interplay of diet, training, and hormones. If any one of those is sub-optimal, so will be your results.

Hey Shelby , with the fat content being what it is in that diet do you add any omegs-3 caps at all or do you rely totaly on your food for the good fats??

Staff online

• Bio
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear