YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cutting the cord on cable - best streaming service? DirectTv Now / YouTube TV / Sling

superbigd

Registered
So right now I’m paying $180 a month for my cable and internet bill and a call down to their customer retention department didn’t help. The guy proceeded to tell me that I had the most discounts available on my account and most people with that same plan pay $290 - yah right

So I have been researching my options with streaming services and I think I’ve narrowed it down to Sling , YouTube TV or DirectTv Now. The biggest limitation with these services is the devices that each are supported by.

What have you guys done? I figure I can keep my Cox internet 300mbps @ $105/month plus a $40/month streaming service and save $40 a month immediately. I could also downgrade to the 100mbps internet speed for 85 a month and save even more.

I was using SLING for the past year and made the switch to YOUTUBE TV.

Much happier with that than Sling....they do have different channel packages though. If you are a live sports guy, YT TV is where it's at. NBA/NFL stuff...tons of games. SLING had more regular channel options like HGTV, VICELAND, etc.

Main reason I switched over was because SLING was having connection issues and I constantly had to restart it to get better reception and have it stop lagging.

YT TV also allows you to record stuff. I record random shit all day and then watch it when I'm doing my morning cardio.

Depends what you want to watch. I don't have any real time TV services and strictly use HBO/netflix/Amazon prime/Hulu. All from friends though so I don't pay but I'm sure you could get one or two of those for cheap.

I was using SLING for the past year and made the switch to YOUTUBE TV.

Much happier with that than Sling....they do have different channel packages though. If you are a live sports guy, YT TV is where it's at. NBA/NFL stuff...tons of games. SLING had more regular channel options like HGTV, VICELAND, etc.

Main reason I switched over was because SLING was having connection issues and I constantly had to restart it to get better reception and have it stop lagging.

YT TV also allows you to record stuff. I record random shit all day and then watch it when I'm doing my morning cardio.

Biggest restriction I saw with YouTube TV was finding devices that support it. What do you use to access YouTube Tv?

Best is to get a roku and use someone else code to watch free shit. There are also those hacked Amazon sticks that you can watch pretty much everything with.

Get a jail broken Amazon fire stick and install Kodi. Has every movie and show imaginable and as long as you have a solid internet connection you will have no buffering issues. Only drawback is many movies do not support the resume function and if you leave it for ~20 min you have to start it over.

The best $50 I have ever spent. Pays for itself after a week and I have been using one for almost 2 years I think now.

I have been looking at sling... I like the antenna and firestick option most currently... so tired of paying cable and barely watching TV...it's not worth $120 a month... that's $4 wasted a day and I don't even watch TV most days :banghead:

So right now I’m paying $180 a month for my cable and internet bill and a call down to their customer retention department didn’t help. The guy proceeded to tell me that I had the most discounts available on my account and most people with that same plan pay $290 - yah right

So I have been researching my options with streaming services and I think I’ve narrowed it down to Sling , YouTube TV or DirectTv Now. The biggest limitation with these services is the devices that each are supported by.

What have you guys done? I figure I can keep my Cox internet 300mbps @ $105/month plus a $40/month streaming service and save $40 a month immediately. I could also downgrade to the 100mbps internet speed for 85 a month and save even more.

For those internet prices,did check pricing on just internet? Companies give lower pricing like you have because it is part of a bundle. Once you unbundle they will charge you a premium price for that internet.

Cable is a luxury honestly. That shit can get mindbogglingly expensive.

Get a jail broken Amazon fire stick and install Kodi. Has every movie and show imaginable and as long as you have a solid internet connection you will have no buffering issues. Only drawback is many movies do not support the resume function and if you leave it for ~20 min you have to start it over.

The best $50 I have ever spent. Pays for itself after a week and I have been using one for almost 2 years I think now.

This right here. Kodi is one of the better options imo. There is never a shortage of things to watch

Biggest restriction I saw with YouTube TV was finding devices that support it. What do you use to access YouTube Tv?

Apple TV and Roku both support Youtube TV and have the past 3-4 months.

For those internet prices,did check pricing on just internet? Companies give lower pricing like you have because it is part of a bundle. Once you unbundle they will charge you a premium price for that internet.
Yep, better check on that. Not worth it for my wife and I too cut the cord based on that.

Sling sucks... I had it for about 6 mos and got rid of it.

I have a smart TV (you can use a ROKU) and combine Netflix, Amazon Prime, VUDU, and HBONOW to replace cable.

Netflix for crap shows that my wife and kids enjoy...

Amazon Prime for high quality (almost free) content that rotates seasonally

VUDU for excellent picture quality & latest release movie rentals

and HBONOW for anything that HBO Offers

Oh-- and I haven't watched a TV Commercial in over 12 months.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws