over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Damn back surgery

Thanks for the input cage, I will have to talk to my doc about that for sure.

Yeah mine has been getting progressively worse for about a year now. I started PT about 5 weeks ago and am doing all the home stuff as well. I really think taking some FMLA time off work will benefit me as my job has me lifting people a lot. The PT clinic is within my neurosurgery office and they put me on a lumbar traction table that pulls pressure on it in an effort to make room to "suck" the disk back in. It does seem to help so we will see. Thanks for the input!
The traction table feels good, ive used that. Now I just use my inversion table and hang upside down at home. Its a Teeter. Works really well and saves me a lot of time and money. I bought mine on Amazon.

Funny thing, after using my legs all of the time and bending down at the knees instead of the lower back, my knees sometimes start to hurt then. Sucks getting old.

My neighbor had to have some serious surgery for his lower back, and even has some kind of device installed back there that constantly applies an electrical signal to the nerves. Somehow that dulls the pain. He has to recharge the battery often. He told me how using his knees so much, to lessen stress on his low back, got too painful and recently he just had both knees replaced. He is in his mid to late 60s.

Your friend has a spinal cord stimulator. Its like a TENs unit placed on the spine.

Saw the surgeon today. Wants to do lumbar foraminotomy with discectomy? Y’all know I can’t spell. Anyone have any luck with this?

What level(s)? Try other methods. Go to a PT that deals with high end athletes.

Damn man, glad to hear you didn't have to go that route. I'm having an issue with L5/S1 and am doing PT right know. I have the intense sciatica burn in my glute and down my leg as well. I don't have any dropfoot or motor/strength loss though. Neurosurgery office is sending my for an MRI as my insurance denied the first one wanting me to do 6 weeks of PT first.....hoping I can resolve it without surgery like you did

Even if you have to have a fusion surgery at L5s1 you won't notice any difference in mobility. That level is right at the top of the sacrum. You'll feel stiff in that area after the surgery but that will fade with post op PT and ongoing exercise.

Insurance, in most cases, will always have you do PT prior to any surgery unless it's an emergency situation.

A lot of people here have read about my situation before...

- I have Ankylosing Spondylitis
- L4-5 & L5s1 Laminectomy
- L4-5 & L5s1 Fusion
- C5-6 & C6-7 Fusion
- Fractured T6 Vertebrae
- L2-3 Micro Discectomy
- C3-4 Fused from Ankylosing Spondylitis
- C4-5 Laminectomy & Discectomy. Now fused from Ankylosing Spondylitis
- C7-T1 Fusion

The Ankylosing Spondylitis is causing sever inflammation in my SI Joints. I was supposed to have them fused in December 2021 but my dad had an accident so I probably won't have it until the end of this year. The recovery is a little rough, 50% weight bearing using a walker for the first month.

The biggest compliment I get is when people say, "I would never know you've been through any of that, you're in great shape!"

Your friend has a spinal cord stimulator. Its like a TENs unit placed on the spine.
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. I asked him how effective he thinks it is and he said that he still has pain. He said he's glad he has it, but it's not life changing.

Even if you have to have a fusion surgery at L5s1 you won't notice any difference in mobility. That level is right at the top of the sacrum. You'll feel stiff in that area after the surgery but that will fade with post op PT and ongoing exercise.

Insurance, in most cases, will always have you do PT prior to any surgery unless it's an emergency situation.

- L4-5 & L5s1 Fusion
- C5-6 & C6-7 Fusion
- Fractured T6 Vertebrae
- L2-3 Micro Discectomy
- C7-T1 Fusion

The Ankylosing Spondylitis is causing sever inflammation in my SI Joints. I was supposed to have them fused in December 2021 but my dad had an accident so I probably won't have it until the end of this year. The recovery is a little rough, 50% weight bearing using a walker for the first month.

The biggest compliment I get is when people say, "I would never know you've been through any of that, you're in great shape!"
How did you end up fracturing T6? Does it have something to do with your medical condition?

The traction table feels good, ive used that. Now I just use my inversion table and hang upside down at home. Its a Teeter. Works really well and saves me a lot of time and money. I bought mine on Amazon.
Yes it does, it feels great and really seems to help. I need to look into an inversion table!

- L4-5 & L5s1 Fusion
- C5-6 & C6-7 Fusion
- Fractured T6 Vertebrae
- L2-3 Micro Discectomy
- C7-T1 Fusion

Wow man I had not seen that you had that! I have heard that it is a pretty painful condition. I hope you're able to continue to manage it well!

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. I asked him how effective he thinks it is and he said that he still has pain. He said he's glad he has it, but it's not life changing.
I have seen several people have great results including one dude where it changed his life significantly. However, it also can be a cash grab and I see it way over prescribed by certain groups. Most are like your buddy where it helps some but is not a game changer. It has its place and is a great option for people who cannot handle another surgery and want to reduce pain med use.

How did you end up fracturing T6? Does it have something to do with your medical condition?

The only conclusion was that it was from the AS and a stress fracture perhaps. I was 8 weeks out from my C5-6 & C6-7 fusion and about to start PT. One day it started to hurt, the next day it started to hurt when I would take a breath and the day after that I could hardly move without excruciating pain and every breath was painful. Had to wear a brace for 3 months. Wasn't a hard brace though. Good times! LOL!!

The only conclusion was that it was from the AS and a stress fracture perhaps. I was 8 weeks out from my C5-6 & C6-7 fusion and about to start PT. One day it started to hurt, the next day it started to hurt when I would take a breath and the day after that I could hardly move without excruciating pain and every breath was painful. Had to wear a brace for 3 months. Wasn't a hard brace though. Good times! LOL!!
Life throws us all curve balls for sure. Ive never heard of a vertebra fracturing like that. I guess your condition somehow makes that more likely. Did they say if you are at risk of doing that again? That would scare me, especially when lifting weights. Kinda like how I feel now when I workout with my heart failure and defibrillator. I am constantly vigilant about my heart rate etc while working out. I bet you have to be real careful with your back. After doing it many years you become a pro at it and its second nature. People find a way to persevere and do the things they love despite adversity.

Lots that goes into this like other have said. I always looked at the surgeons opinion as plan B while your work toward success with plan A. I never hurts to have plan B ready though. Multiple spine docs I have worked with mentioned a study in which a great percentage of people have resolution of symptoms with no treatment over one years time. Add treatment into the mix and you are likely to get better. Surgery is if you are in 10/10 pain and cannot function, if you are losing muscle control like drop foot, pissing/shitting yourself or have exhausted conservative care and are still in pretty bad pain.

Ice your low back all the time. Take your PT seriously. Eat healthy. Inversion tables are cool too if you can resist flipping over on the first time you use it.
Icing the back is a horrible idea. The disc's are a vascular and need heat. Using stem with heat would be better.

Teeter x1 x3 or x9?

Icing the back is a horrible idea. The disc's are a vascular and need heat. Using stem with heat would be better.
Completely disagree about the ice. I have had this discussion on here before. Yes, injured areas need blood flow but ice is a wonderful tool and an un-sung hero with back issues. I watch over and over patients flaring up there spines using heat and resolving flare ups with ice. Heat before activity and ice afterward. There is a reason every single physical therapy facility uses ice following treatment as it just works.

And as far as I understand the disc material is not vascular at all and that is why it is so hard to heal, kind of like meniscus of the knee. Inversion helps disc material promote healing as it helps to exchange fluid with pressure changes along with inducing acute inflammation which does increase blood flow and healing properties.

Teeter x1 x3 or x9?
Not sure what that means. It was one of their better ones. I'm thinking it was about $550 to $650. It's been quite a few years. It's got the insert for lower back and the little bumps you can insert. I never use those.

I've had 3 back to back surgeries on my L5/S1, 2 microdiscectomies / laminectomies and the final resulted in a fusion. This happened at 43-44 years of age but got the injections starting at around 25 years of age. The injections worked for many years and I wish that I would have just continued with them until they no longer provided any relief as the surgeries resulted in disability for me. This may have all happened because the surgeon that performed the first 2 surgeries made me way worse instead of better. I found a different surgeon for the 3rd and I feel that if he had performed the first one, I would have only had to have the one. He was very good but unfortunately I accrued a lot of scar tissue being operated on in the exact same place 3 times in just a little over a 1 year span...

My advice is to explore all non surgical options first, be aware that you have an injury and adjust your lifestyle accordingly, IF you decide to have surgery, do your homework and get more than 1 opinion and all from reputable surgeons. Look into using a Chirpwheel or a knockoff of it, they can be found on Amazon. It works better than a chiropractor for me and for others that I know that use them properly.

Definitely try for the injections if it’s an option. And don’t give up on it. It wasn’t until about the 4 or 5 one that I finally started to feel a LOT better. I ended up having a total of 3 series of 3 shots each
Same here but then now which is about 8 years later it came back twice as bad

Followed up with more injections recently. He gave me what he said would be max injection allowed for entire year .

Completely disagree about the ice. I have had this discussion on here before. Yes, injured areas need blood flow but ice is a wonderful tool and an un-sung hero with back issues. I watch over and over patients flaring up there spines using heat and resolving flare ups with ice. Heat before activity and ice afterward. There is a reason every single physical therapy facility uses ice following treatment as it just works.

And as far as I understand the disc material is not vascular at all and that is why it is so hard to heal, kind of like meniscus of the knee. Inversion helps disc material promote healing as it helps to exchange fluid with pressure changes along with inducing acute inflammation which does increase blood flow and healing properties.
You haven't worked or gone to the right pts then.

I had back surgery back in 2016, I had herniated L4-L5 and bulged L5-S1, the herniated disk had fragmented in the spine and I had a lot of nerve pain, I tried 3 back injections, PT, and a Chiropractor, nothing seemed to help very much, I was taking a fair amount of Hydrocodone a day with muscle relaxers, after a year I couldn't stand it any longer, when I would walk it would pinch the nerve to step all the way forward with my right leg and my leg would start to go numb when I would be standing there, my hips were starting to hurt because of how I was walking, and know matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the pain, after surgery, it was so much better but after a few years I have started having mild sciatic nerve pain through my right glute down my leg and into my calf, its nothing like the pain before surgery but I feel like my back is so temperamental. I was lucky enough to get away with just a microdiscectomy but next time the doctor said it will be a fusion, I plan on getting an inversion table and seeing what that does.

I feel like once you open up your back to surgery it's like opening a can of worms

- L4-5 & L5s1 Fusion
- C5-6 & C6-7 Fusion
- Fractured T6 Vertebrae
- L2-3 Micro Discectomy
- C7-T1 Fusion

My wife has been dealing with Ankylosing Spondylitis for the last few years, but she has managed to get by with Humira but who knows what it will be like in the future.

You haven't worked or gone to the right pts then.

I can be very opinionated. But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I am a fan of low level lasers. From what I understand they penetrate heat deep into the tissue and promote healing with a infrared light. I don't remember much of why they are supposed to work but I ran one back in the day here and there and it would cure carpel tunnel syndrome and reduce peoples pain. I used it all the time and it worked.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws