YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dangers of Arginine/N.O. Does it suppress immune function?

TheRogueOne

Newbies
Years back got a mild case of shingles at age 27! (My overall heath and fitness was very good at the time). Dr gave me a Rx and luckily it cleared up quickly. I did some searching on the on the web and found a link between Arginine and suppressed immune function leading to shingles.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar effects seeing that I want to try supplementing with NO in the future. From what I understand it's does dependent and supplementing with Lysine counteracts the negative effects.

here's some quick info I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12234710

Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in skin lesions of acute herpes zoster.

Abstract
Histopathologically, the skin lesions of acute herpes zoster (AHZ) are characterized by epidermal necrotic vesicles with inflammation. Nitric oxide (NO) is generated from L-arginine by nitric oxide synthase (NOS), and immune inflammation involves the activation of NOS in both effector cells and target cells. NO can cause apoptosis and necrosis of target cells such as keratinocytes. We proposed that a large burst of NO in AHZ may cause the epidermal necrosis. Skin biopsies were taken from 13 patients with AHZ. The expression of inducible-type NOS (iNOS) was examined by immunoperoxidase staining and reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). In the skin specimen of AHZ, moderate-to-strong staining for iNOS was observed in inflammatory cells and necrotic keratinocytes, while weak staining was observed in non-necrotic peripheral keratinocytes. RT-PCR using skin specimen of AHZ corroborated the immunoperoxidase findings, yielding bright bands for iNOS. Normal control skin showed minimal or negative expression both by immunoperoxidase stains and RT-PCR. Increased expression of iNOS is consistent with the hypothesis that high level of NO induced by iNOS may be associated with the epidermal necrosis with inflammation seen in the skin lesions of AHZ.

and

http://www.livestrong.com/article/282526-arginine-and-shingles/

"Risks
The major risk of avoiding high arginine foods during a shingles outbreak is that it will have no effect. There is no direct evidence linking arginine consumption to the risk of developing shingles, nor is there any direct evidence that arginine consumption influences the duration or severity of symptoms, once the disease occurs. The evidence linking arginine to herpes simplex is direct, but weak. In the 2007 edition of "Integrative Medicine," University of Wisconsin professor David Rakel, M.D. says that clinical studies have shown mixed results.
Benefits
Limiting arginine consumption during a shingles outbreak could modestly improve the duration or severity of symptoms. For example, in the case of herpes simplex, a 1987 study published in the journal "Dermatologica" and led by Indiana University professor of infectious diseases Richard Griffith found that 74 percent of people who took lysine, an amino acid that counteracts the effects of arginine, rated it as "effective" or "very effective" at controlling symptoms."

and

http://shinglesdiseaseguide.com/

"The amino acid lysine inhibits herpes activity and can help shorten an attack. You only need to take lysine supplements during the course an outbreak. In addition, avoid arginine-rich foods such as chocolate, peanuts, seeds, and cereal grains. Arginine is another amino acid, but its effect on the virus is the opposite of lysine’s: It promotes herpes growth."

I got shingles even younger 22 yrs old, supressed immune function but I wasnt taking arginine back then in any greater amount then what was in the protein drinks, NO wasnt a supplement even thought of during that time..shit creatine didnt come out til a year later from EAS.
Your immune system can take a beating from a lot of other things, for me it was walking to my job in cold ass rainy conditions during the winter and overtraining like a mofo, coupled with job stress, relationship stress and bad nutrition it happened.
A lot of factors could lead to shingles Arginine would be only one of many IMHO.

I've only used Arg in my pre workouts and never had shingles from it, but most of the pre workout sups dont have huge amounts of it.

A lot of time when we use supplements or aas we train much harder, and depending upon a bulk or cut deprive ourselves of what the body is really needing and causes a immune problem which creates other issues on top of that. Many doctors as soon as you tell them what your using beside firestone vitamins they automatically blame that in order to get you to quite. I recently am suffering from tendonitis and I am running IGF-LR3 and MGF. You would think that those would help with the situation but after I backed off on going heavy for a couple of weeks can tell I am getting better. Another example is when I was running test-e at 800, tren-a at 300, and dbol 60mg a day for 3wks and by week 6 I was sick with a cold and headaches as I was going harder than I had ever gone in the gym before. By pushing ourselves whether on or off will at times cause immune defiencies that we have to have to combat with vitamins.

It honestly depends on many many factors like your environment, pollution, whether your sleeping enough, etc. The immune system regulates the body far more than we could imagine (it regulates cancer cells). Your white blood cells are negatively charged, so if you don't have enough proteolytic enzymes like Trypsin (which is naturally secreted from the pancreas) that breaks down animal proteins, you'll experience a weakening of the immune system. I have not come across anything related to Arginine in regards to a weakening of the immune system, but that's not to say it isn't possible. If you aren't getting enough Vitamin C, D, E, A and beta-carotene, zinc, magnesium, manganese, copper or selenium, you could be lowering your immune system from those terms. With the shitty quality of our food these days, it's no wonder why the rate of cancer and other metabolic diseases like T2 Diabetes are going up.

One thing to remember too, taking those supplements like Vitamin C that are sold at Walgreens, CVS, or any other major retailer will NOT benefit you in ways you may wish they will. A lot of those supplements are only one component in a bigger sequence of factors, such as Vitamin C. The Vitamin C supplement you take will most likely only contain Ascorbic Acid, which is only one part of a 5 component process. If you take an excess of Ascorbic Acid, your body will use the remaining components (factors) from what is already readily available in your body (it will actually weaken your body), therefore lowering your immune system. It's very important that you eat real food to get more vitamins and nutrients, if not then take a whole-foods supplement which is extracted with every component intact.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner