over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Danny Padilla training

Drago

Registered
He trained with 5 sets of 12 with the same weight resting a minute between sets.
when he can complet the 5 x 12 he increase the weight.
who tried this system ?

He had an amazing physique... I have never dig into his training philosophy, so this should be an interesting thread.

It works for sure. I did 5x10 and when I could do that I increase weight. Same principal really and it surely would work.

Hi interviewed here, maybe twice. Excellent interview(s). Goes well into, not deep but well explained, his training, contest history and a much behind the scene going’s on. Can’t recommend it enough. Have listened to it twice, his ‘tail of tears’.He does great impersonations too and has a wonderful sense of humor.

Anybody who listens to it let us know your thoughts.

Training with the target weight till the desired reps could be achieved on the every set then adding weight the following workout. And repeating this over and over was pretty standard for many people decades ago.

Training with the target weight till the desired reps could be achieved on the every set then adding weight the following workout. And repeating this over and over was pretty standard for many people decades ago.
It's honestly absurd how many people have either forgotten or disregard this approach in favour of overcomplicated programs pushed in e-books and three-hour podcasts.

It's honestly absurd how many people have either forgotten or disregard this approach in favour of overcomplicated programs pushed in e-books and three-hour podcasts.
It’s not really optimal. It’s also a lot of wasted effort. It’s not that it doesn’t work but it’s far from fastest way to put on size.

That is exactly how I trained for many years, every other day, regardless of weekends and holidays.

I have since modified it slightly for me ( now) but in principle it was very productive until I started reading the muscle mags which totally fucked my training up and lost many years doing so.

Now the same shit is being perpetually via the internet: training videos, asinine interviews, etc., but only now to a much larger and more gullible audience that is capable of believing everything they see and hear. I am so glad I am not part of that generation / audience, RIP.

This is how i started training decades ago. And managed to put on 20-25 pounds of muscle according to the body fat calipers i used at the time. And i had never used any PEDS till years later.
It’s not really optimal. It’s also a lot of wasted effort. It’s not that it doesn’t work but it’s far from fastest way to put on size.
The idea of optimal changes as time goes by and there is plenty of conjecture as to what is the best way to train. And there is the fall back that people use that each person is different and not all things work the same for everyone. And even if someone is not doing the optimal thing, but they are still enjoying the experience i do not think that that time can be called wasted effort.

Great video of him training.

Good video of him, had not seen it before.

Seen him up close and in person on several occasions in Golds Gym after it moved to Santa Monica. He is one of the single most impressive, thickly muscled bodybuilders I have never seem.

First time I saw him in the gym he was flanked, walking between to two well known bodybuilders (can’t remember who but they were big) but I could not take my eyes of Danny. That impressive. One in a million.

He trained with 5 sets of 12 with the same weight resting a minute between sets.
when he can complet the 5 x 12 he increase the weight.
who tried this system ?
similar to Mohammed Makaway VAT Training system

He had a great physique. I believe at some point, he was trained by Vince Gironda. Some people might not know that Makkawy was an Olympia runner-up. He was short and he didn't have the best back in his time but he had everything else.

He had a great physique. I believe at some point, he was trained by Vince Gironda. Some people might not know that Makkawy was an Olympia runner-up. He was short and he didn't have the best back in his time but he had everything else.

Check out Taming the Wild Physique by Vince Gironda. Out of print but easy enough to find a copy (sold mine 🙁). Makkawy’s training is covered in there if memory serves. At the very least, a shit ton of fotos of him.

5 x 12 sounds fine, I actually do something similar. I'm older so joint health is a priority. I go 4 x 15 upping the weight when I can complete 15 on the 4th set, then I save my big compound exercise for last when I'm super warmed up and go 4 x 6, etc.
So delts are 4 x 15 for flys, front raise, upright rows - then - 4 x 6 on overhead presses.

My only question is going 5 x 12, how many excercises per body part?

5 x 12 sounds fine, I actually do something similar. I'm older so joint health is a priority. I go 4 x 15 upping the weight when I can complete 15 on the 4th set, then I save my big compound exercise for last when I'm super warmed up and go 4 x 6, etc.
So delts are 4 x 15 for flys, front raise, upright rows - then - 4 x 6 on overhead presses.

My only question is going 5 x 12, how many excercises per body part?
Danny Padilla did it for around 4 exercises per bodypart. Resting 30-60 seconds between sets.

This is how i started training decades ago. And managed to put on 20-25 pounds of muscle according to the body fat calipers i used at the time. And i had never used any PEDS till years later.
When I first started training and saw a workout in print, I always assumed all the sets were done with the same weight because there was never any explanation to state otherwise. My first exposure to training to failure was through Max-OT. It’s a great program, but I attribute a lot of my success to being between the ages of 17-22 and the hormones of puberty consistently pushing things forward. I also ate everything in site and junk food helped me get up to 235. I then lost a bunch of weight, but stayed with programs revolving around training to failure for almost two decades. Results were decent, but not as good as I thought they could be. I went back to sets across over the last two years and results have been much, much better. I think it’s an awesome way to train. I don’t stick to one scheme like Danny did with 5 x 12. I use all kinds and still only do one exercise per body part. Everything has been better since making the change. Looking at programming done in the other lifting disciplines and books like Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky, Supertraining by Siff, Westside/Conjugate methods, GVT, and how people trained back in the day only further displays its merit.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear