over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

David Paul R.I.P.

That's very sad. I haven't thought of the Barbarian Brothers in years, but I remember how popular (and huge) they were back in the 80's. They had a little bit of fame for a while; I hope the rest of their lives went well. Fond memories of the good old days.

The Barbarians was a long movie, but it got good half way through when the brothers hit the screen. Lots of jokes that only bodybuilders would get.

Double Trouble was enjoyable.

Think Big - I copied their personalised plate that they had on their monster truck and I had it on my car from 1997 to 1999 - TOOBIG :D

Super nice guys, very down to earth. I met them here in the late 80's/early 90's. They "loved" World Gym, where I was working at the time because it was a dungeon. RIP big man!

Sad news.

From Samir Bannout's facebook:

I am saddened by the passing of one of my dear friends n training partners David Paul...Dave n I met in 1979 and we quickly became close friends...We trained together for several contests prep, he was very positive & extremely strong.

Once, we decided to train at 2 AM for one of my contest preps...I got the keys for the Marina Athletics Club just for us...and when everyone was asleep n snoring, David n I were in a war with the weights... he pushed me way beyond the limit...

We made this decision to train in late hours because I wanted to be extremely focused, didn’t want any outside interference ...David was always there for me n our workouts weren’t your usual workout you normally see @ gyms ...our workouts were very tough, you can say they were complete insanity n torture... the last time I spoke with David was one week ago, he was in good health, we always discussed the most advanced holistic way of living healthy..he really was in fantastic health... I was shocked when I found out about his passing yesterday, I first thought it was just a silly rumor but later it was confirmed....I will miss him and his influence greatly...My condolences to his family and friends... May his soul Rest In Peace

WOW, sad news. Very influential to me in the 80s/90s with their barbarian workouts and their gym attire (flannel and work boots). I still occasionally talk about them with the older crew at the gym with respect.....RIP

Rest In Peace Iron Brother! They were an inspiration and motivation way back! Good memories!

He died two days before his 63rd birthday. Very sad, RIP. When I started buying bodybuilding magazines in 1983, I was always excited to see any pictures of the Barbarian Brothers. They were the freaks of that era! Reverse grip benching 500lbs for reps, 150lb seated dumbbell presses for reps, 365lb press behind the neck for reps, 130lb alternate dumbbell curls for reps and on and on. They were inspirational!!

Rip you big MO FO. Those guys prob inspired me to train more than anyone. I rocked the cut off sleeve flannels combat boots and overalls. I still rock that style occasionally.

barbarian brothers.jpg

I never knew these guys personally, but they had a huge impact as to who I am today. I somehow discovered these guys in 1984 (way before internet) and to me they exemplified what I liked about bodybuilding. I thought the actually sport of bodybuilding was gay. Dudes oiling up, posing side by side etc. Then I discovered the Barbarians who lifted huge weights, dressed like lumberjacks and personified the image of badass to me. No need to get on a stage to primp and preen around when there was work to be done in the gym. My buddy and I drove from OC to Venice in 1985 to watch them train at Golds and they knew we were watching them. David picked a booger from his nose, wiped it under the seat of the bench press and then winked at us. Around this same time, the Road Warriors (aka Legion of Doom) pro rasslers hit the scene and I was forever hooked on trying to be a big jacked dude like the Barbarians and Road Warriors. I joined a gym in 1984 for my 16th birthday, and I have never quit. Still grinding away.... and I am still inspired by those Barbarian Brothers.

View attachment 114565

I never knew these guys personally, but they had a huge impact as to who I am today. I somehow discovered these guys in 1984 (way before internet) and to me they exemplified what I liked about bodybuilding. I thought the actually sport of bodybuilding was gay. Dudes oiling up, posing side by side etc. Then I discovered the Barbarians who lifted huge weights, dressed like lumberjacks and personified the image of badass to me. No need to get on a stage to primp and preen around when there was work to be done in the gym. My buddy and I drove from OC to Venice in 1985 to watch them train at Golds and they knew we were watching them. David picked a booger from his nose, wiped it under the seat of the bench press and then winked at us. Around this same time, the Road Warriors (aka Legion of Doom) pro rasslers hit the scene and I was forever hooked on trying to be a big jacked dude like the Barbarians and Road Warriors. I joined a gym in 1984 for my 16th birthday, and I have never quit. Still grinding away.... and I am still inspired by those Barbarian Brothers.
that is absolutely hilarious, particularly the winking part. This is the thing, you don't see characters like this in gyms anymore. Everyone has their hoody down and/or looking at their phone getting ready for the next selfie or social media post about their workout. I caught the tale end of it, but i remember when the Gold's gym in my small town had a few weirdos lurking around and you'd only see these guys in the gym. Nowhere else. It was like they came out of the woodwork only to train. I was young kid at the time but i'm glad i got to experience the gym when times were different, when the culture was different.

that is absolutely hilarious, particularly the winking part. This is the thing, you don't see characters like this in gyms anymore. Everyone has their hoody down and/or looking at their phone getting ready for the next selfie or social media post about their workout. I caught the tale end of it, but i remember when the Gold's gym in my small town had a few weirdos lurking around and you'd only see these guys in the gym. Nowhere else. It was like they came out of the woodwork only to train. I was young kid at the time but i'm glad i got to experience the gym when times were different, when the culture was different.

I would say the 80's and early 90's were the glory days of gyms. Make no mistake, the gyms today have nicer equipment and appeal to a FAR greater demographic. Back then, the majority of people who went to gyms were pretty hardcore dudes and gals. It was not ALL good, but it was entertaining. Like the time a meathead bought a new harley motorcycle and took it on a spin...INSIDE THE GYM. Or the time the gym owner pulled a gun on a guy trying to collect money from him for some undisclosed reason. Or when the bodybuilders and powerlifters got into a physical altercation over who was in control of the radio station being blared over the speakers. And I can't tell you how many times I would open a locker only to discover a discarded syringe or empty bottles of Dianabol/Deca (very popular combo back then). For whatever reason it seemed like the gals were EXTRA hot back then. There were not as many of them, but the ones who came to the gym were superfreaks. Obviously, I am generalizing here, but trust me, things were different then.

I would say the 80's and early 90's were the glory days of gyms. Make no mistake, the gyms today have nicer equipment and appeal to a FAR greater demographic. Back then, the majority of people who went to gyms were pretty hardcore dudes and gals. It was not ALL good, but it was entertaining. Like the time a meathead bought a new harley motorcycle and took it on a spin...INSIDE THE GYM. Or the time the gym owner pulled a gun on a guy trying to collect money from him for some undisclosed reason. Or when the bodybuilders and powerlifters got into a physical altercation over who was in control of the radio station being blared over the speakers. And I can't tell you how many times I would open a locker only to discover a discarded syringe or empty bottles of Dianabol/Deca (very popular combo back then). For whatever reason it seemed like the gals were EXTRA hot back then. There were not as many of them, but the ones who came to the gym were superfreaks. Obviously, I am generalizing here, but trust me, things were different then.
I became good friends with some of the guys I met at the gym and we would even go out to the clubs at night to have a good time. Had dinner out etc. Good guys. I miss those times.

Samir,
who was quite the colorful guy throughout the years I knew/trained with him hada sort of love-hate relationship
with the brothers. In fact it was in a heated dispute over a weight lifting belt that Samir threw a punch at one of the brother ( I dont recall which) and sufffered at partial Triceps tear. His signature 'horseshoe' was gone after that.
REST IN PEACE BROTHER!! You will be missed...
David was a good guy!

RIP!

Was great watching them back in the 80s!

I was a fan back in the 80s too! Watched this movie on HBO.

Reactions: Bio

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear