over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

db shoulder press

brutus

Registered
well did shoulders today starting with db presses. went like this, 50x14,70x12,
100x10,130x12,150x5. the problem is just getting the db's (150's)set in place.
if i didn't have to waste so much energy getting them up there i know i could
get atleast a solid 8 reps. and yeah iv'e heard guys say that if you can't get the
weight up then it's too heavy but doesn't that only apply to a certain extent?
i feel like my arms are holding up my shoulders now. what do some of you guys do about this? just hate not being able to progress on a muscle that clearly wants to.:(

well did shoulders today starting with db presses. went like this, 50x14,70x12,
100x10,130x12,150x5. the problem is just getting the db's (150's)set in place.
if i didn't have to waste so much energy getting them up there i know i could
get atleast a solid 8 reps. and yeah iv'e heard guys say that if you can't get the
weight up then it's too heavy but doesn't that only apply to a certain extent?
i feel like my arms are holding up my shoulders now. what do some of you guys do about this? just hate not being able to progress on a muscle that clearly wants to.:(

Yet another good reason NOT to do shoulder presses , I know 4 people that have badly injured their shoulder not so much from the pressing but from getting the weight up or down. The only direct shoulder work I do anymore is rear lateral flys and light one arm side laterals. The rest comes from chest and back work

Ive had to have both my shoulders scoped from heavy bench and shoulder pressing when I was younger

doing only 5 reps on a DB shoulder press is much too few reps IMO. That's why you're having trouble. I see no good reason to go that low. I think there's no point going under 10 reps on the exercise. It's much safer and you will avoid injury and have an easier time getting it up. If your gym has only 130s and then jumps to 150s, I'd suggest just doing another set with 130.

when i did db presses a long time ago i would get one db into position using both hands and could always find someone to hand off the other one to me. now i only do light lateral raises for 15-20 reps and my shoulders look just as good if not better.

Is there any benefit to doing db presses rather then military presses other then strengthening your stabilizers, I think incline db presses would cover that.

i do like DB should press but i cant go over 100lb db because its to much tension on the back of my shoulder getting it up..so i rotate between that and military press

I know the pain of blowing extra energy kicking the dB's up.. I try to keep the kick up movement as explosive fast and fluid as possible even doing a quasi rocking motion back once their resting on my knees in a sitting position on the chair

I had no problems getting up 45s......damn my shoulders are weak.

what works for me is
-put dumbbells on the ground infront of the bench/seat
-put your feet inbetween
-stand up and at the same time swing/curl the dumbbells up to shoulder height
-sit on the bench/seat while holding the dumbbells in that position (shoulder height, should be about the bottom part of the shoulder press movement range of motion)

this has always worked pretty well for me, but then again the dumbbells at my gym only go up to 100lbs. i see people struggling to bring up even 70lbs dumbbells all the time so maybe that technique helps.

placing dumbells little further out on my legs closer to my knees alows me to get better kick to get dumbells into place. when i was younger i would have this same problem so i began just dedicating time to learnig better technique for driving the dumbells into place. i can kick a 150 into place with the same effort as a 50. take some time to just practice your set up like if you were learning to bench press or squat for the first time. set aside some time to practice and not worry about pressing the weight but just figuring out way to improve your set up

yeah i guess i'll just stick with the 130's for now and try for a few more sets of
10-12 reps until i build up some more strength and figure out a better technique.
i usually never go bellow 8 reps on anything just wasn't sure on the 150's yet. iv'e done the 140's for ten so i was almost certain i could get 150x8, but maybe
someday.

I find this to be one of the most taxing things to do, feel like 3-4 sets and I wanna sleep.
How low do you go?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gemRhOV_6Ag]Shoulder Training Bodybuilding - YouTube[/ame]

this is what i usually do. get one up. some guys like to put the db'll further down the leg and flip it up but i'm stronger if the db'll is kept close. then get a stronger guy at the gym to help you get the other one up. if no ones in the gym i do them on a bench with no back rest because youre unstable and forced to sit fairly upright i'll knock off 30lbs on your seated press. also do barbell presses first.

I find this to be one of the most taxing things to do, feel like 3-4 sets and I wanna sleep.
How low do you go?

i go bellow parallel on the bottom but i never lockout at the top of the movement, not because i can't but due to non lifting related injuries that give me a funny feeling in my shoulders when i completely lockout even with light weight. just feels like an injury waiting to happen even with 45lb db's.

when i did db presses a long time ago i would get one db into position using both hands and could always find someone to hand off the other one to me. now i only do light lateral raises for 15-20 reps and my shoulders look just as good if not better.

AANNNDDD
doesnt cause any pain !!!

Shoulders are far from my weak point and i actualy think they have grown some since i stopped any pressing

For DB I only go up to 110s for sets/reps even tho I can go higher, bc like you, just getting them up burns reps off I feel. If I want a heavier workout that day ill do barbell first 275x12, 290x10, 305x8, 315x5. THEN go do sides THEN DB presses. IMO, thats what works for me at least.

If you can't get the DBs in position... there too fucking heavy! (its not the exercise that will injure you, its the trying to get in position that will... and thats pretty embarrasing)

I've seen it many times, people (usually kids) struggle to get the DBs up and then have to drop them after half a rep coz their too heavy

Last edited:
If you can't get the DBs in position... there too fucking heavy! (its not the exercise that will injure you, its the trying to get in position that will... and thats pretty embarrasing)

I've seen it many times, people (usually kids) struggle to get the DBs up and then have to drop them after half a rep coz their too heavy

umm...well....a few things:

1. i wouldn't say 150's x 5 is emberrasing
2. i did a little more than 1/2 a rep
3. not really a kid anymore(27)
4. didn't struggle THAT much, just trying to find a way that doesn't use THAT
much effort getting the weight in place so i can use that energy for more reps.
5. i did get the weight in position by myself
6. i never drop the weights to the floor, i slowly lower them to the front like
how kevin levrone did to minimize the chance of an injury.
7. really just wanted to know other peoples TECHNIQUE for getting the weight into place.:)

Doesn't really matter the weight as you're not a powerlifter.

I try to use the girliest weights possible while still getting a deep burn, it keeps me honest and uninjured.

umm...well....a few things:

1. i wouldn't say 150's x 5 is emberrasing
2. i did a little more than 1/2 a rep
3. not really a kid anymore(27)
4. didn't struggle THAT much, just trying to find a way that doesn't use THAT
much effort getting the weight in place so i can use that energy for more reps.
5. i did get the weight in position by myself
6. i never drop the weights to the floor, i slowly lower them to the front like
how kevin levrone did to minimize the chance of an injury.
7. really just wanted to know other peoples TECHNIQUE for getting the weight into place.:)

I wasn't really directing it at you, just a generall statment, sorry i might have worded it wrong?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws