over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

db shoulder press

Once I go over 100 lbs I do them standing 1 arm at a time. So the first rep is a clean and press, then I keep pressing for however many reps I want. When I started doing that I saw a huge increase in my shoulder strength.

JMO - but if i were you I'd start doing them in the smith rack and try to isolate the shoulder. I think weiht that heavy, unless you have a really good spotter, you run too much risk of blowing out your shoulder and being out of the game for months.

If u do them right in the smith machine, changing your grip width and the range of motion, you can get a killer shoulder workout. Then follow up with the DB's for side and front raises, etc.

Once I go over 100 lbs I do them standing 1 arm at a time. So the first rep is a clean and press, then I keep pressing for however many reps I want. When I started doing that I saw a huge increase in my shoulder strength.

I would like to know how to do these with proper form? Does your ttorso stay completely straight or tilt?

Dam I thought I was pretty strong doing the 90s at the end of my shoulder workout lol. This is pretty humbling :p

I would like to know how to do these with proper form? Does your ttorso stay completely straight or tilt?

First I should say I'm far from being the guy with great form. Once you have it at your shoulder what's most comfortable for me is my feet slightly wider than shoulder width and my entire body as tight as possible. I want to concentrate as much as possible on just the shoulder movement. I try to have my body very straight, my traps are probably kind of pinned together though of that makes sense.

Here's a vid of when I first started doing them [ame=http://youtu.be/ina3cqD9Jn0]Kevin OAK Dumbbell Press - YouTube[/ame]

nice size...but like was mentioned send a video of u doing the 150 's. not saying you cannnot. but i would like to see it. thats some heavy ass weight

yeah i'll try to make a video next time i do shoulders. i need more memory for my camera though, it will only let me take 10 pics with the memory it came with.

First I should say I'm far from being the guy with great form. Once you have it at your shoulder what's most comfortable for me is my feet slightly wider than shoulder width and my entire body as tight as possible. I want to concentrate as much as possible on just the shoulder movement. I try to have my body very straight, my traps are probably kind of pinned together though of that makes sense.

Here's a vid of when I first started doing them Kevin OAK Dumbbell Press - YouTube

you look like the only person in the gym thats actually doing something

when i did db presses a long time ago i would get one db into position using both hands and could always find someone to hand off the other one to me. now i only do light lateral raises for 15-20 reps and my shoulders look just as good if not better.

Yeah, I would do that or just have one guy hand be both of them to me one at a time. Cleaning them up there is when you stand the greatest chance of injury IMO. Personally I think that if you really want to do presses like that then use a machine that has each side independent, like hammer strength.

Damn Brutus, you are built like a tank bro!!! I believe you can press those 150's. That's pretty damn impressive. My weak ass can only do 120's for 12, haha. As for military and db presses for shoulders, I think that once we get old, we won't be able to do them anymore. I can still do them just fine and my left shoulder cracks but I don't have pain. A personal trainer at my gym who's a pretty big dude claims that he regrets ever pressing 150's back in his hey day and says that's what wrecked his shoulders. I'm shoulder dominant anyways so I think I can get away with inclines and lateral raises.

well when i get the size i want on my shoulders then i'll switch to a higher rep, higher set style of workout like b boy did for his back and legs. just really try to work the muscle more and joints less. i know i'll get weaker but i'm a bodybuilder not a power lifter so i won't really care when that day comes. as for now the 150's are definitely my limit on weight used for db presses. i won't do more than those but just focus on getting more reps with a lot better form.

you look like the only person in the gym thats actually doing something

Nah I think there was a girl on the other side of me with huge breasts in yoga pants doing a very effective slow motion dumbbell row workout.

Yeah, I would do that or just have one guy hand be both of them to me one at a time. Cleaning them up there is when you stand the greatest chance of injury IMO. Personally I think that if you really want to do presses like that then use a machine that has each side independent, like hammer strength.

the hammer strength machines have kind of grown on me in the last two years. where before i would do all free weights, now i'm about 50/50 on free versus hammer. just feel i hit the muscles better the way the handles move in a wide to narrow groove. i like to do db and hammer presses at the beginning of my shoulder workouts.

Have someone place them on ur thighs and then lift from the bottom with you on each side

well when i get the size i want on my shoulders then i'll switch to a higher rep, higher set style of workout like b boy did for his back and legs. just really try to work the muscle more and joints less. i know i'll get weaker but i'm a bodybuilder not a power lifter so i won't really care when that day comes. as for now the 150's are definitely my limit on weight used for db presses. i won't do more than those but just focus on getting more reps with a lot better form.

You know it really depends on if you have more fast twitch fibers compared to slow twitch for each muscle. Some guys respond better/grow on higher reps. Some guys the opposite. Over the years, I have switched over to higher reps but have always done high volume to save my joints. I could be wrong on this, but once you're strong enough you can almost ditch doing low reps IMO. Strength does play a role in bbing but so does constant tension.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws