over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DC training massively improved my Arthritis

Jammin

Registered
Switched to DC 3 months ago on the 2 day split and very surprisingly, its had a very positive effect on my psoriatic arthritis joints.
I've had to limit some of the compound movements I use (eg heavy squats have a severe crushing effect on my shoulders) but otherwise chasing the log book and cycling the exercises has had a dramatic effect.

Most likely as I'm using a lot more heavy compound lifts rather than lighter, high rep, pump style. In PSa and RA patients stronger muscles helps stronger joints/tendons and lubrication. The drop in joint pain and inflammation means I use much less pain meds, to the point where I've been forgetting to use it recently.
Thank you Dante, as a seasoned lifter wish I'd taken this up years ago!

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I still incorporate it with higher rep ranges than most and it's been great for my joints, also. When I back off on the volume, which I'm doing now since I'm going to drop a couple more pounds of fat, I go full DC. I find that I still recover very well from DC despite some days being low calorie and no carbs.

But whatever you do, don't try to do a full body DC workout. I tried to last week when I was trying to make up for two lost days in the gym.

Don't do that.

Last edited:
When you say higher reps, how high do you go?
The other thing I've found is using a log book (never done before, always been more instinctive) gives me more focus ahead of the workout. Have always had a general plan but in my head, soon as you write it down the commitment becomes more compelling

On some things I rest pause, I'll go with fifteen or so on the initial set, 7 or so on the second and three or four on the third. If I'm straight setting, I'll typically do 15-20.

Related - following Dusty Hanshaw on IG. Whenever I would do Rest Pause sets I'd do 10 breaths or so...anyways Dusty said he prefers 30 second rest between each set. Game changer (for me). I think the 10 breaths before was only around 15-20 seconds.

I've been back at DC for the past three years and wish I'd never left it.
I also do higher reps, 12 minimum for the first part of the RP and 15 breaths between sets.

I'm dong the three way split, 2 on 1 off. I love it, the workouts are pretty short and intense and the recovery is great.

I also follow 8 reps or so set 1, 5 set 2, 2 set 3 on rest pause. Good pace of workout, maximum intensity.
I also don't get the same level of DOMS as previous but seeing muscle thickness coming through and bodyweight increasing

That's exactly the thing DC has preached for years! Once you get the rep range appropriate for your own self benefits, as well as use exercises that also benefit you, then just continue to beat the log book progressively over time. You can do this and still be safe and healthy. You get in and out, and go recuperate to bang it out a few days later.

That's exactly the thing DC has preached for years! Once you get the rep range appropriate for your own self benefits, as well as use exercises that also benefit you, then just continue to beat the log book progressively over time. You can do this and still be safe and healthy. You get in and out, and go recuperate to bang it out a few days later.
Now I know my joints can handle the heavier weight and I'm seeing positive benefits, it's reignited my passion for the sport again. Love it

I'm glad that works well for you! I found literally the opposite; I was doing the DC push/pull/legs 4 days a week split all of 2018 and constantly injured/messed up elbows and knees. In the periods when things didn't hurt enough to stop me from training, incredible gains. As soon as I switched to a style more like mountain dog training but with even higher reps and sets across at the same weight instead of ramping sets, I completely got rid of joint issues.

Everyone is so different and you've gotta try a few different approaches to figure out what works for you personally.

Switched to DC 3 months ago on the 2 day split and very surprisingly, its had a very positive effect on my psoriatic arthritis joints.
I've had to limit some of the compound movements I use (eg heavy squats have a severe crushing effect on my shoulders) but otherwise chasing the log book and cycling the exercises has had a dramatic effect.

Most likely as I'm using a lot more heavy compound lifts rather than lighter, high rep, pump style. In PSa and RA patients stronger muscles helps stronger joints/tendons and lubrication. The drop in joint pain and inflammation means I use much less pain meds, to the point where I've been forgetting to use it recently.
Thank you Dante, as a seasoned lifter wish I'd taken this up years ago!

Glad to see this.DC training is something you can do progressively for a long time to come!It never gets boring and your strength and physique should excel!

I'm glad that works well for you! I found literally the opposite; I was doing the DC push/pull/legs 4 days a week split all of 2018 and constantly injured/messed up elbows and knees. In the periods when things didn't hurt enough to stop me from training, incredible gains. As soon as I switched to a style more like mountain dog training but with even higher reps and sets across at the same weight instead of ramping sets, I completely got rid of joint issues.

Everyone is so different and you've gotta try a few different approaches to figure out what works for you personally.

Again and I dont ever understand this but I see it so often..... my question to you is this....Why are you doing exercises that hurt you for one and why are you doing such low reps that you are getting hurt? I dont understand this and I seriously dont ever understand why people think DC training is doing dangerously low reps on exercises that hurt you....I dont get it. How did that thought process come about? I honestly must not have explained this all out properly. You never use exercises that injure you for one and you never train in a rep range that you feel you could get injured. Thats why you always see me say the same phrase and ive probably have said it 1000 times over the years "progressive weights in safe rep ranges with exercises that put you in the correct mechanical position for your unique physique"

Honestly this stuff leaves me bewildered half the time because I sure as heck wasnt doing skullcrushers and a bunch of exercises for sets of 5-8, and a bunch of other people who do DC training use deductive reasoning and plot out what exercises they should be doing in safe rep ranges that they can train progressively on with no problem but .....a whole section of society somehow takes DC training and thinks

1) Im going to do minimal warmup sets (absolutely not my methods)
2) I am going to do low rep heavy weight training on everything hacks, skullcrushers, presses, extensions, etc etc etc

I seriously dont get it. I am the originator of it...ive trained doing it for 30 years. If i did some of the things I see people think DC is about I would be in a wheelchair.

Its amazing to me when I see people say I did this such and such training all these warmup sets and this rep range and I didnt get hurt....and they they say they did DC training and got hurt.....well DC training is about a slew of warmup sets until your top sets and training in rep ranges that you will never get hurt...so what the heck happened?

Last edited:
I just went back and looked at a post i wrote in 2007 and it says this

"In a generalization, I would probably put anything thats rest paused that is a compound pressing movement at 15-30rp (and it will probably generally fall in between 15-24rp most likely) .......and i would put any kind of lever/ext movement that could be dangerous ala tricep extension etc in a 20-30rp range (and that will fall probably in the 20-26rp range most of the time most likely....with a few scattered instances of 18's - 19's rps)"

So a 20 rep rest pause on a incline bench press is most likely
12+5+3=20rp.......if someone is getting hurt doing a 12 rep incline bench press then its not the heavy weight that is doing it because your doing 12 reps...it was bad luck

On extension movements....20-30rp would look like
15+7+4=26rp
How is someone getting hurt doing 15 reps on an extension movement my way when most people train in even lower rep ranges on the same exercises with other training.....like 8-12 reps

Its beyond puzzling to me.

If i a guy is going to do 315lb inclines for 20rp i expect
135 x 16
185x 12
225 x 9
275 x 6
315 x 12+5+3 = 20rp

*as many warmup sets as needed for the main top set.

This 100%.

I'm still fairly new to DC training but I take a good long while to warm up to my working set, and though I'm pushing every session to break the log book with weights and/or reps, I'm not doing anything that I feel is putting me in a position to get hurt or picking exercises that don't work for my body structure.

That's not to say that any one system is superior to another as everyone is so very different with their ability to recover or respond to types of trainign, but it mostly comes down to presence of mind in proper exercise selection and warming up to prevent injury.

I just went back and looked at a post i wrote in 2007 and it says this

"In a generalization, I would probably put anything thats rest paused that is a compound pressing movement at 15-30rp (and it will probably generally fall in between 15-24rp most likely) .......and i would put any kind of lever/ext movement that could be dangerous ala tricep extension etc in a 20-30rp range (and that will fall probably in the 20-26rp range most of the time most likely....with a few scattered instances of 18's - 19's rps)"

So a 20 rep rest pause on a incline bench press is most likely
12+5+3=20rp.......if someone is getting hurt doing a 12 rep incline bench press then its not the heavy weight that is doing it because your doing 12 reps...it was bad luck

On extension movements....20-30rp would look like
15+7+4=26rp
How is someone getting hurt doing 15 reps on an extension movement my way when most people train in even lower rep ranges on the same exercises with other training.....like 8-12 reps

Its beyond puzzling to me.

If i a guy is going to do 315lb inclines for 20rp i expect
135 x 16
185x 12
225 x 9
275 x 6
315 x 12+5+3 = 20rp

*as many warmup sets as needed for the main top set.

Again and I dont ever understand this but I see it so often..... my question to you is this....Why are you doing exercises that hurt you for one and why are you doing such low reps that you are getting hurt? I dont understand this and I seriously dont ever understand why people think DC training is doing dangerously low reps on exercises that hurt you....I dont get it. How did that thought process come about? I honestly must not have explained this all out properly. You never use exercises that injure you for one and you never train in a rep range that you feel you could get injured. Thats why you always see me say the same phrase and ive probably have said it 1000 times over the years "progressive weights in safe rep ranges with exercises that put you in the correct mechanical position for your unique physique"

Honestly this stuff leaves me bewildered half the time because I sure as heck wasnt doing skullcrushers and a bunch of exercises for sets of 5-8, and a bunch of other people who do DC training use deductive reasoning and plot out what exercises they should be doing in safe rep ranges that they can train progressively on with no problem but .....a whole section of society somehow takes DC training and thinks

1) Im going to do minimal warmup sets (absolutely not my methods)
2) I am going to do low rep heavy weight training on everything hacks, skullcrushers, presses, extensions, etc etc etc

I seriously dont get it. I am the originator of it...ive trained doing it for 30 years. If i did some of the things I see people think DC is about I would be in a wheelchair.

Its amazing to me when I see people say I did this such and such training all these warmup sets and this rep range and I didnt get hurt....and they they say they did DC training and got hurt.....well DC training is about a slew of warmup sets until your top sets and training in rep ranges that you will never get hurt...so what the heck happened?
I find my warm up sets become more focused the heavier I progress the working sets. I can be 4-5 warm up sets, sometimes more on some exercises.
Have you had many with psoriatic or rheumatoid arthritis see a reversal of joint pain on your program Dante? It's been a real game changer for me. Not only the pain reduction but the lubrication and lack of stiffness in the joints has been very surprising for me.

This 100%.

I'm still fairly new to DC training but I take a good long while to warm up to my working set, and though I'm pushing every session to break the log book with weights and/or reps, I'm not doing anything that I feel is putting me in a position to get hurt or picking exercises that don't work for my body structure.

That's not to say that any one system is superior to another as everyone is so very different with their ability to recover or respond to types of trainign, but it mostly comes down to presence of mind in proper exercise selection and warming up to prevent injury.
Fully agree, am exactly the same

This 100%.

im going back to dc, the higher volume lately just aint for me now.
warmups are THE most important part. i do 12, 8, 5, 3, 1 as my warmups and the 1 rep is about 80-90 percent of the work set weight, 12 reps is maybe 40 percent of the work weight.
in fact i started dc style with bis and tris last week and godam my tris were toast. i was shaky for a few hours after and boy do i miss that feeling after a dc workout.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131