over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dead Lifts - Rotate Grip or Not?

Big Vin

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
Long time lurker decided to finally register. Trained a good deal when I was younger (46 now) and started back up in February.
I dead lift every time out on back day...but I never change the grip (left hand over, right hand under). One of my friends recommended that I change the grip every other time out (just switch to left hand under and right hand over) so that I don't get one shoulder "sagging".
Is this sage advice or is he full of shit?

Long time lurker decided to finally register. Trained a good deal when I was younger (46 now) and started back up in February.
I dead lift every time out on back day...but I never change the grip (left hand over, right hand under). One of my friends recommended that I change the grip every other time out (just switch to left hand under and right hand over) so that I don't get one shoulder "sagging".
Is this sage advice or is he full of shit?
I love the deadlift. It's my favorite exercise. If you aren't competing in a powerlifting competition the over/under is not worth the risk. It really puts the "under" arm's bicep in a vulnerable position. I'm only 205 and I've pulled as much as 470 without straps using over/over. Just my opinion.

Ive always used alternating grip no probs - dont rotate as it feels wrong for some reason-cant focus on lift with grip other way to what im used to.mikennrg-youve got a very good grip- i can just about do 400 double overhand and people tell mne ive got a goos grip. Most people i know have bad grip because they rely on straps- ive seen guys rowing 100lb using straps:eek:

Im lazy so I use straps, so I dont use the power grip. I feel alot more symmertic just using forward anyways

I'm one of the unlucky ones that tore a bicep tendon while deadlifting with an alternating grip. Only a partial tear luckily, but still enough to keep me in pain for a good 6 weeks. Only double overhand with straps for me now.

I do deadlifts every back day also, and I always use over/over grip. Its easier on the arms and im not doing it to win the powerlifting olympics. still gives you the same workout on your BACK, which is what the damn exercise is for. if you like your arms, over/over all the way.

I guess ill start doing the over/over grip. i've always have used over/under w/out straps, mostly for the fact it makes me feel like i can get a better and closer pull. maybe its just a mental thing.

Depends

There was a great Deadlift instructional video posted on here awhile ago and it said that if you aren't lifting heavy then alternating grip is fine but if you plan on lifting heavy weight, then over/over is way to go. So you don't tear your bicep. I made the switch and it has been great. I also use Versa-Grip instead of straps, much easier. But only when I can't handle it anymore.

Dead lift every back day since day one...I use over/under and only use straps once I get into the 400 lb range.

We have this machine at my gym. It keeps your hands in a more neutral/natural position. Loves it!

Attachments

• nautilus-deadlift- shrug-machine.jpg
    nautilus-deadlift- shrug-machine.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 338
I guess ill start doing the over/over grip. i've always have used over/under w/out straps, mostly for the fact it makes me feel like i can get a better and closer pull. maybe its just a mental thing.

This is what I was thinking as well. A little background on me. Like I said I'm 46 and started training again about 6 months ago... after a loooong layoff (think 10 years plus).
I'm 6'1" and 240 pounds..pretty good build for 46 and not a lot of fat.
Anyway, I'm pulling 315 for 4-6 reps pretty much every time out now, and am ready to start adding weight. If I'm gonna start messing with the grip, it has to be NOW, before I get to heavier weight.
Buddy is saying that by using the LEFT hand over and the RIGHT hand under every time, that one shoulder is going to start to sag after a while. He says I need to switch it up (still using over/under, but RIGHT hand over and LEFT hand under) to prevent shoulder sag at heavier weight.
I don't use straps at all, not opposed to it but just don't need them, yet.
Some of you are suggesting bicep problems if I keep using this grip at heavy weight...I'm definitely going to consider that. At 46, it'll probably take FOREVER to heal from that type of injury.

Last edited:
I tore my bicep with the over/under grip deadlifting. Out of nowhere and without any warning, I think it was around 405 and about the 4th rep.... pop, pop, pop. Never again will I use that grip. Straps only for me.

I used to do the over/under grip and alternate from workout to workout. I have since switched to the over/over grip and had to drop my weight some, but I tend to feel a lot more sore in my back now with that grip FWIW.

For the guys with weak grips I'd suggest leaving the straps in the bag until your grip fails. Then use the straps to finish your deadlifts. Plate pinches also help. What's the point in having a strong back when you can't even grip the weight on your own? That's like having a diesel pickup with a hitch rated for only 1000lbs.

Last edited:
I always use over/over hand grip for deadlifts with the use of straps. I find if I dont use straps when lifting heavy I am focusing too much on my grip rather than my form. Ive tried over/under, just felt uncomfortable.

Just use alternate grip. If your technique is good, you will be fine. Your arms are just like cables holding the weight.

Bicep tears tend to happen when guy are not keeping their arms straight. Just use good form for each and every rep and you will be fine.

As for all that stuff about uneven development - it's bullshit.

You CAN get uneven Traps developement from over/under grip, always use over/over.

as mentioned. I would get straps and just do over/over

I hope this is not an offensive question . . . but can a natural whose max deadlift is around 500 also get a bicep tear from the under / over grip?

I hope this is not an offensive question . . . but can a natural whose max deadlift is around 500 also get a bicep tear from the under / over grip?

its got nothing to do with being a natural or enhanced athlete.. its the stress on the bicep because of the position its put in & stress placed on the tendon from bearing the weight... so yes, a natural whose max dead is around 500 can get a bicep tear using an over/under grip.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws