over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlift platform on carpeted floor

bananas007

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
If I placed a platform like the one in link below on a carpeted floor; will the carpet be any hindrance to transmitting force through the lift (squat / deadlift)

thanks

I do not understand, an image could help.

No, by no means, why are you thinking that?

I think it would depend on how thick the carpet pile is (density and thickness of the strands) if the pile is long and not real dense then it would feel unstable under a load. A really short pile that has threads close together would be best.

No, by no means, why are you thinking that?
Can you be clear. No it will effect or it won’t effect?

I rent. I usually try to find apartment with Atleast one room with a non carpeted floor so I set up my home gym and can do squats and deadlifts after work.
The town I am moving into; the only apartment that meets all my other criteria’s are all carpet; and I wanted to set up a deadlift/ squat area. I need a stable solid surface so was thinking about buying one of those platforms.

Well, another factor I wasn't thinking of before would be if it is on the ground floor or not. I cant imagine you doing it on a 2nd floor or higher as the noise created in the apartments below would be terrible. Take a look at the carpet and see how dense the carpet is. How long are the fibers.

Well, another factor I wasn't thinking of before would be if it is on the ground floor or not. I cant imagine you doing it on a 2nd floor or higher as the noise created in the apartments below would be terrible. Take a look at the carpet and see how dense the carpet is. How long are the fibers.

no I got a ground floor apartment on purpose so i don’t disturb anyone.

will find out once I move in how the carpet is. I didn’t look at the place.

I don’t even mind tearing off portion of the carpet and paying the replacement fee on move out; 12 months later; but that seems a bit extreme lol.

I think what the op is referring to is the carpet not being a solid surface which creates an issue with the distribution of force into the floor cause it’s squishy

I’d be more concerned about possible injury from lifting on carpet. Dave palumbo mentioned how your feet are supposed to apply force a specific way and wearing orthotics in your shoes supports the arch in your feet which keeps your spine aligned properly
I can see how squatting on an uneven surface could make you pull something in your back

My guess is that the carpet will be too "squishy" and it wont be a firm enough surface. If the carpet is like the crap we had back in the 70s in my family room then it will be ok! That stuff was really short and hard as hell.

I think it would depend on how thick the carpet pile is (density and thickness of the strands) if the pile is long and not real dense then it would feel unstable under a load. A really short pile that has threads close together would be best.

A bit extreme, but do you know anything about carpets?
Would it be extreme if I hire someone to cut out a 6x6 foot area in the living room and place down my horse stall rubber mats (from tractor supply).

and when I move out; just pay for the “damage” . Shouldn’t be any different than replacing a carpet. No? For the apartment ppl.

A bit extreme, but do you know anything about carpets?
Would it be extreme if I hire someone to cut out a 6x6 foot area in the living room and place down my horse stall rubber mats (from tractor supply).

and when I move out; just pay for the “damage” . Shouldn’t be any different than replacing a carpet. No? For the apartment ppl.
I cant speak from any experience, but I do know that it seems like apartments often replace the carpets and they use a pretty low grade because of that. I think the cost to you though would be prohibitive , especially if youre only staying there 1 year.

Get 4 pieces of 1/2 plywood. Stack them in opposite directions so you will have a total of 1" (2 top/2 bottom) and then screw them together using 1" self tapping wood screws. Then glue some short pile indoor-out door, marine grade carpet to the top of the plywood. Do not put a pad under the carpet.

This is much cheaper and will last a long time that the Rogue Fitness thing which is heavy and honestly sucks. We tossed out 4 of them in a guy I had.

I used this home version type of platform for years when I ran meets. This can be done with new materials for under $150.

Can you be clear. No it will effect or it won’t effect?

I rent. I usually try to find apartment with Atleast one room with a non carpeted floor so I set up my home gym and can do squats and deadlifts after work.
The town I am moving into; the only apartment that meets all my other criteria’s are all carpet; and I wanted to set up a deadlift/ squat area. I need a stable solid surface so was thinking about buying one of those platforms.

^^^a "non carpeted floor" ..like hardwood? ..or perhaps tile? ..LMAO

..you'r def on my "do not rent to" list

If i was going to do what you're doing i would cut out the carpet to either put your mats or platform down. You don't want any of that sitting on top of carpet. Many of the powerlifting meets ive done consisted of squatting on like a hard carpet. Im not really even a fan of it but many many many federations do it that way.

Anyways.. Again, cut the carpet and deal with the fees later.

If i was going to do what you're doing i would cut out the carpet to either put your mats or platform down. You don't want any of that sitting on top of carpet. Many of the powerlifting meets ive done consisted of squatting on like a hard carpet. Im not really even a fan of it but many many many federations do it that way.

Anyways.. Again, cut the carpet and deal with the fees later.

yeh i will probably do that. I will just pay them the replacement fee up front so they dont freak out. With apartment there is always maintenance crew going in and out of your apartment with a short notice. I can imagine someone noticing a chunk of carpet missing and getting in trouble lol.

Sounds like you have lifted in your apartment before. Did you ever have to worry about neighbors complaining about it? Wondering if vibrations in the floor might make it over to adjacent apartments and if the noise of the weights moving around bothers people. Neighbors can be hard to deal with sometimes when living in an apartment.

No never had issues. I always use bumper plates And rubber mats. Am only 162 lbs and my strength is average or below average, and I always try to get a ground floor apartment or a loft apartment (cement flooring)

Whatever you decide, make sure your washer and dryer are behind you...and scream & cuss real loud with each PR!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131