over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlift question

buttwind

Newbies
Hey kids, I'm new here but looks like a great site so far..

When you dead lift do you use wrist straps? Also, I use an over & under grip but I alternate every set (1 set left hand is overhand, next set left hand is underhand)...does it matter? I figure maybe I'll have lopsided development if I don't...Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

Last edited:
i use the over and under grip too , dont change it the way u do evry set though . and yeah , i use straps , definitely help .

Hey Ray, thanks for the reply...I used to use straps then someone told me not too as my grip/forearms would get stronger if I didn't..My thinking was, "I'm not working my forearms" but he was a lot more advanced than I was so I took his advice..

Thanks again..

Steve

Last edited:
I wouldn't use straps until you lift more than your grip can handle.

Then I would think you are limiting your back workout if you dont' go to straps.

Chalk

Go as far as you can with chalk first,then switch to straps if you have too.I have not had to switch yet as my forearms get stronger the heavier I go.Chalk is a great tool,increases your grip immensely,and I always use it when I deadlift or do heavy barbell rows.I also use and under/over grip with deads,and alternate arms each set.Straps I use only for shrugs because with traps you have a very short range of movement so consequently you can get alot more reps in with heavier weights.Your grip tends to fail the longer you have to hold on to the very heavy weights.Its a time frame isssue.I never see guys doing 15 reps with 5 plates a side on deadlifts,but I do see guys doing it for shrugs.I hope I made some sense.........

Re: Chalk

BALDNAZI said:
Go as far as you can with chalk first,then switch to straps if you have too.I have not had to switch yet as my forearms get stronger the heavier I go.Chalk is a great tool,increases your grip immensely,and I always use it when I deadlift or do heavy barbell rows.I also use and under/over grip with deads,and alternate arms each set.Straps I use only for shrugs because with traps you have a very short range of movement so consequently you can get alot more reps in with heavier weights.Your grip tends to fail the longer you have to hold on to the very heavy weights.Its a time frame isssue.I never see guys doing 15 reps with 5 plates a side on deadlifts,but I do see guys doing it for shrugs.I hope I made some sense.........

Just a side idea.

You ever try doing shrugs on the standing calf machine. Not exactly the same but it works pretty good and you dont' have to worry about holding the weight.

He guys, thanks for the replies/advice..I may try deads with straps next time and see how it goes..if I can do more/go heavier I'll stick with em...Thanks again...

I think that you will be able to lift more with the straps. I use straps for deads and shrugs, and love them. Chalks good but not as good as the straps, but its different for all some can't get use to using the straps.

u def should switch grips on alternate sets as u will get uneven back development, just ask bill starr or take my advice as ive seen it happen firsthand

well , talking about forearm and grip strength , i wud rather do 400 pound bent over rows with straps than doing 275 pound rows , i'm just sayin if its gonna allow u to use heavier and heavier weights , i dont see why ur forearms etc wud lag behind ?i wud rather use straps and go as heavy as possible .

I use straps with a knuckles front grip once I get thru my warmup sets. I look at it as I'd rather train my back heavy and hard than my forearms with those back exercises, and do not want grip to be the weak link. I can always do extra work for the forearms directly if needed.

I use an overhand grip, heard of too many Bicep tears from the under grip. I use straps too, dont want to limit my lift because of forearms/hands being a weak link. If you want to build forearms
maybe do some of the lighter sets without straps.

Bro keep the same grip. You use an alternate grip to get a better grip on the bar. i use no straps, just my preference. I love grip strength so I can hit a bag(or someones head) without my wrist rolling on impact. I also do farmers walks for sgrip strength.Hope thsi helps

SWOLL

WWW.ANABOLICSUPPLY.COM

I've never changed the position of my arms. I've always done left hand under, right over. As for straps, I stick to chalk. I must be a dumbass because I can never figure out how to use them effectively.

If you're really worried

Try this:

No straps for warm-up sets.

Strap around your wrists for heavy sets (and ready), but not around bar at start. Do as many reps w/o the straps until grip starts to give out. Then immediately put the bar down, wrap the straps around (once is fine) and continue the set until failure.

Then, right after the set, go to a pull-up bar and hang for as long as possible, without straps off course.

This ensures that your forearms are stimulated - taken to failure during the set of rows, DL's, etc. and after during the hang...

-Randy

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner