over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

deadlift question?

GorillaGenetics

Registered
when I deadlift i use the alternate hand grip i think its called but can this cause symmetry problems for bodybuilding like making ur back uneven or something along those lines?

when I deadlift i use the alternate hand grip i think its called but can this cause symmetry problems for bodybuilding like making ur back uneven or something along those lines?

it might cause a symmetry problem, but more likely it will cause a bicep tear. i would go with a double overhand grip on deads so that you can eliminate any symmetry issues that may result from an over under grip and can also eliminate the stress that the bicep is put on with the over under.

I don't know about symmetry issues, but I always used the over-under grip until recently when I switched to the double overhand grip.
I do prefer it, and it is easier to hold the bar towards the end of the set.

Next to potential bicep tears, I believe the biggest concern using mixed grip should be the potential spine twisting, however slight it may be. I started using a double overhand hook grip and haven't gone back. If it hurts your thumbs you can wrap a little tape around them. I will occasionally use straps but have pulled 500 X 4 and 545 X 1 with a hook, and have rack pulled 600 with a hook. It can be done.

No symmetry issues to my knowledge.

I had always used the over-under style until someone posted the video of the guy ripping his bicep. Since then, I only use the double overhand and actually prefer it. I feel more comfortable and "in control" of the grip/bar than before.

Tore my left bi.....doing those:(

If you do use a mixed grip the cue you should use right before you pull is to flex your triceps, by doing this you will help prevent the desire to try to "curl" the weight up with the under hand.

grip

double overhand with straps.

as others have said, injury would be your main issue....if your gym has a trap bar or a Hammer Deadlift machine you can get the great deadlift benefits, but limit injuries and lower back strain. I'm 6'0", but my wingspan is close to 79 inches (yes, I'm a monkey:D)---the trap bar and Hammer Deads are awsome for folks like me

Last edited:
There may be symmetry issues because many people torque their body when using a mixed grip (i.e. theres a twisting motion to prevent given the grip). That can definitely affect your posture and how much the muscles are loaded on either side which can affect the way your body looks.

Given that, and the injury potential, Id say stick with a double overhand grip.

I used an alternating grip for years until I ended up with a small tear in my bicep tendon near the elbow. It has bothered me on and off for years. Stick with with a double overhand grip.

same here Flex...

I used an alternating grip for years until I ended up with a small tear in my bicep tendon near the elbow. It has bothered me on and off for years. Stick with with a double overhand grip.

I used this grip for years until one heavy pull I felt the dreaded "pop, pop, pop" near the elbow on the underhand side that came without warning. Now that bicep is a little shorter and weaker.

I only go double overhand with straps these days. I use one of our sponsors ProWristStraps. Best straps made, period.

I used this grip for years until one heavy pull I felt the dreaded "pop, pop, pop" near the elbow on the underhand side that came without warning. Now that bicep is a little shorter and weaker.

I only go double overhand with straps these days. I use one of our sponsors ProWristStraps. Best straps made, period.

yep,
close to what happened to me, tore my extensor tendon.....and to be honest hasnt been the same since and also bicep does NOT look the same nor as strong in that arm....plus is that it healed on its own and i can still dead double over with the hook grip though as stated above it takes some getting used to until your thumb area adjusts....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_extensor_tendon

I dropped 50 pounds on my deadlift after switching from over-under to double over. I got sad. A couple deadlift workouts later I was back up to par. I switched because I think it does cause symmetry issues, at least in my experience.

no symmetry issues for me, I do both alternate and double overhand. Alternate in off season, double overhand near contest when isolating my back becomes a bigger issue than grip. When the weight is heavy enough, you aint curling shit by accident. All the arms do is act as hooks and the entire lift should be performed by the legs and back.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear