over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlift, squat, or both?

the student

Banned
I'm sure that this has come up before, many times. I realize Big A suggests using both. This seems like a lot on the lower back. I've been doing deads this year and it seems to take bout five days before I'm in the mood for any low back work. So, who is doing one of these two, rotating them, doing both in the same workout, or both on seperate days? I'm definitely in the rookie phase, so I am currently seeking muscle gain, not refinement. I'd like feedback from those doing the same, or their advice from when they were. Thanks guys.

Definately BOTH!

Attachments

• squats_vs_deadlifts.jpg
    squats_vs_deadlifts.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 43,565
yes def do both in the same week. I now do these at different times in the week but use to do them same workout either works. You need boh for over all development.

you gotta do both. i do them both on the same day twice a week (westside method), and also do recovery work on the in between days. as you stated, your lower back doesn't want to be worked again for about 5 days after deadlifting, so a day or two after pulling try doing some reverse hypers to stretch out some and one very light exercise just to get some blood flowing to your lower back, im my opinion that will help you out a lot with recovering from a deadlift workout.
hope that help,
Walker

I got good results bodybuilding doing just stiff leg deads on the same day as squats. Squats are first of course and then follow with the stiff legs. I also only do the stiff leg deads every other workout and alternate with leg curls. The most I do the stiff legs is once per week, and I hit eveything 2x per week.

Doing the deadlifts too much is going to overwork your lower back for sure. I used to try and train it each week hard along with squats and I would get to the point that my lower back was so fatigued that it would cramp up and I couldnt hardly squat. Squats and regular deads also target so many of the same muscles in a similar way too.

This does help, thank you. Shovelhed, what's you routine with these two exercises? I'd really like to hear feedback from more guys as well. I've had guys tell me to go heavy with deads and lighter with squats. Does anyone else have any good advice relating to this subject? Thanks fellas.

Hey Shovel

Congratulations! That has to be the response/answer of the year!:love:

I do em both, but I alternate every other week. Deads one week, Squats the next. I don't go as heavy as I use to, can't afford to hurt my back. :)

i do both but on different days. deadlifts i do every other back workout, because its too much strain on the lower back.

4 day split

Back (includes dead lifts and hang cleans)
Beach muscles
Legs (squats)
beach muscles
Day off
Repeat

It all depends on how you feel. Experiment till you find the balance between overtraining and not enough. Everyone is different. - age, gear use, tenure in the gym, genetics, diet, sleep, stress. Lots of variables, but IMHO try to do as many of the compounds as you can. And do what it takes outside of the gym to allow that.

I do both every week. Deads on Back day and squats on leg day.

When i did them every week, i would do legs on monday, back on friday... giving them 2-3 day break before i hit them again.

Agreed, you have to do both IMHO to stimulate max growth.

I'm one of those guys that alternate them, but incorporate leg press also every week. I tend to have groin problems when i do them both in the same week. But I would imagine that's related to my wide stances in both and heavy weights as I mostly train for powerlifting.

-Huge

Generally for my legs routine i rotate squats and lunges one week squats one week lunges

and same with deadlifts and hypers.

just my 2 cents

It depends on your routine. Deadlifts and squats are both taxing on your lower back. so depending on your routine deadlifts may not be the best idea for overall back development. A lot of things factor into this. Body structure, training schedual(this is a big one) as to weather or not theyre the best exercise for you. depending on your training rotation you may be doing more harm than good, or at least slowing results by lacking the ability to put everything you have into one exercise or the other. I would say that squats reign supreme, so if you HAVE to forego one of them forego the deads. That is until you derive a routine that allows adequate recovery between training sessions.

Exercise choices are extremely important in developing a routine. you need heavy load, the right amount of volume, the right amount of frequency, the right amount of recovery to achieve the GREATEST results. and Here's the real kick in the nuts.... ITS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE.

I squat 2x every 8 days and (alternating workout) hit back 2x every eight days. I cant do deads on back day without suffering progression on squats. Since I think squats are the most important for my physique developing, I only deadlift once every month or so (for volume). On back day I do bent over rows and DB rows.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131