over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlift VID 135 - 545 lbs.

Powerbuilder

Registered
Working on deadlift form, wanted to do more volume but my lower back was bothering me. Form seems to be getting better, can't seem to get any speed off the ground though. Take a look, feedback on form as always greatly appreciated.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8_Zf_d0lQ]Kevin OAK Deadlift Day 3-4-13 - YouTube[/ame]

Ok it's a little awkward to see full form because of the angle.
To develop bar speed there are several things.

Pull from a defecit. I.e. 2-3 inches higher than normal, very often helps when you drop back to regular height.

Do some banded speed pulls at around 60%.
Watch some YouTube vids guys like clint darden etc, speed pulls should be fast explosive doubles and triples resting around 60 secs per set.

Take slack out of the bar, if you watch the top pullers especially on max weight they will often slightly flex the bar as they are wiggling there feet and grinding or screwing there feet to the floor. If you get the slack or any bend from the bar then pull you are not having to break inertia twice. Sounds weird to explain but watch guys like andy Bolton pull he will quarter squat 3-4 times and each time he pulls on the bar to take out the slack and get himself tight then bang lifts

Don't keep trying to max...this could be your issue. Constantly trying to pull 1 rep maxes in the gym will kill progress, very often you can hit comp p.r lifts without ever hitting that weight in the gym.

Looking pretty good. I think you can sit back a little more. That will help you use yours quads to get the movement started and will help with speed from the floor. The other thin I noticed is just make sure your hips are forward and you are locked out. Some of the reps you were some you weren't and it's a dumb thing to get red lighted for. Comedy central said to take out the slack, that's good advice and something to watch for at the meet. If they use a deadlift bar there will be a lot more whip to the bar which can make for an interesting pull if you are not used to it.

I think there may be a flexibility issue, especially on sumo deads, you should be be able to stay more upright with the back less rounded. The spine is not a joint, if the spine is flexing and contracting during the lift, the discs are going to be compromised. I know a lot of older powerlifters with disc issues.

I think there may be a flexibility issue, especially on sumo deads, you should be be able to stay more upright with the back less rounded. The spine is not a joint, if the spine is flexing and contracting during the lift, the discs are going to be compromised. I know a lot of older powerlifters with disc issues.

Health wise you are right, but a lot of big time deadlifters round their back for better leverage. It seems like he is using a modified version of a sumo stance, I think Coan did something similar. When you watch Coan deadlift especially his 901 pull at 220lbs he isn't that upright, but he dips his ass down for a split second to get his legs in it.

This is gonna sound stupid Kevin but the one thing that helped me the most was try to picture yourself pushing the floor down rather than lifting the weight! I sukked at deads 740 in the 220s was my best

I think you need to find a coach in your area with a TON of experience. You need hands on help man. On every one of your pulls you are not tightening your lats at all and you arn't loading the hams. Thats why your erectors are more developed than your upper back.

Sorry for the delayed response kind of got into a situation with a stripper for a while.

Comedy Central - Definitely like your ideas, I remeber when I use to do deadlifts on an 8 inch box, whenever I switched back to regular deads i'd always feel much stronger. I'm going to work on taking slack out of the bar, I feel like i'm pulling so much harder than necessary because i don't get the bar moving with any momentum. I wasn't trying to max today I wanted to do 4 rep sets towards the end but my lower back felt weak the whole time so the increased reps were really putting pressure on it, it was easier to do singles. I definitely have to mix it up though, what i'm doing doesn't seem to be working i'e been plateaued for a while.

lvnp - I hear you I didn't realize I wasn't fully locking out until the last set when my workout partner was saying lockout lol so definitely something to pay attention to.

Kaladryn - my flexibility flat out sucks, its getting better but worse at the same time as I get bigger. There's a good chance after I compete in the powerlifting meet I stop deadlifting for good. It's becoming too risky and not really worth it.

Capin - 740 in the 220's definitely doesn't suck, I'd be happy with mid 600's right now. I know what you mean by the pushing away feeling though, it's how I approach squat. i can't seem to transfer that feeling over to deadlifts.

Pericles - the fact that I don't really even get what your trying to explain proves I probably need a coach like you said.

And stay away from strippers youngman!

Just my take...

You need to lower hips more

Then as u take slack from bar pull ur chest up as if ur trying to point ur nipples at the wall.

As slack is taken u need to concentrate on pushing off with ur heels and legs, the bar wants to be at knee cap height before u even start pushing hips through.

Sumo is a thing of beauty, if done right, not many can pull it off properly tbh, just get bar touching shins and concentrate on using leg drive as mentioned above, obv if done right and ur grip failed u should literally fall backwards.

So hard to explain in txt, i learnt so much more from training with other experienced lifters.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

looks like lack of hip drive. try to imagine you have hooks on your quads and try to hook the the weight with your hips. take a look on westside barbell website. they have a bunch of articles to read on this very issue.

everyone is going to tell you something different on here man.

I'd try and find an experienced coach in your area if I were you JUST so you have 1 guy to listen to.

In my experience, band DLs and deficit DL really helped my speed off the floor.

Sorry for the delayed response kind of got into a situation with a stripper for a while.

Comedy Central - Definitely like your ideas, I remeber when I use to do deadlifts on an 8 inch box, whenever I switched back to regular deads i'd always feel much stronger. I'm going to work on taking slack out of the bar, I feel like i'm pulling so much harder than necessary because i don't get the bar moving with any momentum. I wasn't trying to max today I wanted to do 4 rep sets towards the end but my lower back felt weak the whole time so the increased reps were really putting pressure on it, it was easier to do singles. I definitely have to mix it up though, what i'm doing doesn't seem to be working i'e been plateaued for a while.

lvnp - I hear you I didn't realize I wasn't fully locking out until the last set when my workout partner was saying lockout lol so definitely something to pay attention to.

Kaladryn - my flexibility flat out sucks, its getting better but worse at the same time as I get bigger. There's a good chance after I compete in the powerlifting meet I stop deadlifting for good. It's becoming too risky and not really worth it.

Capin - 740 in the 220's definitely doesn't suck, I'd be happy with mid 600's right now. I know what you mean by the pushing away feeling though, it's how I approach squat. i can't seem to transfer that feeling over to deadlifts.

Pericles - the fact that I don't really even get what your trying to explain proves I probably need a coach like you said.

If you are in NY lookup Drive 495. Schedule with charlie weingroff. He knows his shit.

everyone is going to tell you something different on here man.

I'd try and find an experienced coach in your area if I were you JUST so you have 1 guy to listen to.

In my experience, band DLs and deficit DL really helped my speed off the floor.

This is prob the best post and advice on this thread, there is no right n wrong way to deadlift, look at KK with his rounded back but what he pulls....best thing is to find what works with form nearest u can to good technique.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Capin - there's nothing I could do she wanted me.

Jimmy - definitely going to try to implement your advice.

Onyx - thanks for the advice, definitely gonna snoop around westside a website again, haven't been there in a while. Maybe add some hip exercises.

Theotherone - I wish I had boxes at the gym I workout at now, it's very limited in terms of equipment. Should I just stand on 25 lb plates or something?

Pericles - definitely going to look Charlie up.

Capin - there's nothing I could do she wanted me.

Jimmy - definitely going to try to implement your advice.

Onyx - thanks for the advice, definitely gonna snoop around westside a website again, haven't been there in a while. Maybe add some hip exercises.

Theotherone - I wish I had boxes at the gym I workout at now, it's very limited in terms of equipment. Should I just stand on 25 lb plates or something?

Pericles - definitely going to look Charlie up.

You don't have the mobility to do deficit deadlifts. Stay away from them.

How do you have your toes positioned? Pointing them out more might help get your hips closer to the bar.

What does your conventional pull look like and how strong does it feel?

How do you have your toes positioned? Pointing them out more might help get your hips closer to the bar.

I have the inside of my shins parallel to the bar so toes are pointed out probably halfway between straight forward and straight to the side.

Last edited:
You don't have the mobility to do deficit deadlifts. Stay away from them.

I've done them before and was pretty much alright. Here's a vid from a while back. I actually kinda miss doing them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwoxnpkhTs]Kevin Oak 315 LB 12 Inch Box Deadlift - YouTube[/ame]

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131