YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifting from a BB standpoint....what do you recommend?

waynaferd

Banned
I've been doing deads at 5x5, ramped to 440, and I am killing myself. Afterwards I can't do anymore for a back workout on back day....

I've searched and searched, and have found to either lighten up and do more reps, such as a 3x8 scheme, or go heavier with less reps, more like a PL workout.

Any recommendations? I know I could get 500 at least once, and then be done for a few days, LOL, but I dunno what to do here.....I'm not looking to out lift anyone in a competition, just give myself an honest workout that won't be the death of me. Like I said, I do deads first, and after rows, pull ups or downs, or any other back work would hafta be so light I might as well go buy a shake weight, LOL.

In other words, how do you guys do your back work?

i try to pull 2 times a month

but yea.......i know what your saying
when i pull, my leg training seems to suffer that week

when i pull on back day......i'm spent for the rest of back

lately.......but NOT exclusively.......been pulling on....say
at the beginning of an arm workout...or something along those lines

ive done with legs too.....but time is def an issue there
(almost 2 hrs)

:cool:

When I did volume I'd start with deads and do like 4 warm up sets and only one training set, or sometimes a max attempt, and then be done with it. Now I do DC, so it's a non-issue.

A solid deadlift workout just takes too much out of me, so I only deadlift once every 7-10 days depending on how I feel. I love to deadlift but I found myself overtraining very quickly by deadlifting every other back session.

When I train back it's typically 3-5 sets, one movement per w/o, 3 times a week.

In your case I'd do deads last in your back routine if you are doing multiple exercises in the same workout.

For set & rep schemes I prefer the BBB program, or you could hire Phil.

(almost 2 hrs)

I know what you're saying. If I dead before legs during the week, my leg training suffers. On back days, same thing....the rest of my back training suffers. Tried doing them with leg days too, but same problem, seems like I'm in the gym forever or back is so pumped I can't squat.
I only dead maybe every other week, or once or twice per month. From a bodybuilding standpoint, I try to avoid injury at all costs and tend to go lighter on the dead lifts. I'd be really pissed if I was maxing out and pulled something, then couldn't even work out.
I get the best workout from doing deads on days when I hit smaller muscle groups like arms, delts or a muscle group I missed during the week or want focus on, after having already done my back and leg workouts earlier that week.

Do partials for back day

I think it was Shelby who posted up a YouTube video of him doing partials with nearly 700 pounds. I always did DL on back day but as we all agree it wipes out your legs too. So I've been going much heavier (for my weak self) and doing them in the rack starting around knee height. You just need to really pull back the shoulders and flex the back. I feel it really hits the upper back with significantly less lower body involvement.

And after 30 years of lifting, there is nothing like some strange.:eek:

My workout always starts with hang cleans. Rep range 10, 10, 6, 6, 3, then I typically miss a max. My catch sucks.
Then I do bent over rows.
Then lat pull downs.
I warm up every workout with 2 sets of dips and 2 sets of chin ups to failure. I'm real bad ass at the La Fitness compared to the stay at home moms. And even some of the much older retired guys.

Last edited:
I do them as one of my back width exercises with DC training which means they get done at the end of the workout.

Also, to combat the super sore back getting in the way of the next day's (or day after that's) leg workout, I use the leg press.

once per week rack deads for higher reps....around 12 or so. then pull from the floor once a month followed by 2 days off.

Last edited:
When I'm not DC training, I throw my deads in at the end of my back workout. I've found when done towards the end of the workout really not much lighter weight than if they were done at the beginning

Thanks for all the replies....I've been doing deads prolly 5 x a month....I'm going to try twice a month, but I never would've thought that enough myself...But I suppose, what you all say makes sense!!

I think I 'll also try waiting til the end, then only do 1 heavy set, instead of 3 or 5, and see how it all goes.

Thanks again!!

Deadlifts are great for quality back development. But they are taxing! I do them about once a month but go much lighter than you do. I shoot for higher reps around 10-15.

I'm a solid believer in switching up your workout and keeping your muscles guessing. Trying rep-ing out with one 45lb on each side sometime. I'm sure you will get a great burn.

wow i use to do deadlifts every single back workout, only thing i would change up is when i done them in the workout, some days i would do them first, and some days {most days} i would do them last. I did however take about a year off of deadlifting and now im trying to get back in the groove of doing them again, I actually did them for the first time last tuesday and will do them again this tuesday and hopefully every tues. from here on out. I try and change rep scheme also, some days its heavy ass 5 sets of 5 and somedays its higher reps like 4 sets of 10-12 reps.

dead lifts

Do you find it better to do more weight with shorter reps for strength or lighter and more reps? I usually do max 5-9 reps 1st set then 10% off next set for weight until failure and then another 10% off till failure.

I do deadlifts as my first exercise every other back day(so i do them twice a month). I do 5 sets of 5-10 reps.

Last edited:
When I deadlift, they are #1 in my routine because they are a full body movement and very taxing. I want to be at full strength.

I tend to do them as the 2nd or 3rd exercise on back day...if I do them first ive been known to toss my cookies...its just too much, too soon...

Awesome!!

Thanks again everybody!!

(almost 2 hrs)

I'm so glad you said that bro.

I've been getting down on myself having to skip every second week.

It's just too much trying to do deads every week for me. It jacks my legs up, and back pumps are so intense I cant finish my workout.

i never do deads at the begining of back day becasue i would be wiped out. so i do them at the end. or i used to do them at the end of leg day. and i would do them everyweek. ive gotten to 500 for 8 reps on leg day or on back day week after week so i guess it all depends on the person. right now im doing it on leg day but im doing sets of 20, to see how tht goes. it all depends on what your really looking for if its overall mass i would say nothing more then 8 reps, i would do a 5,3,1 workout that was awesome for me. i got up to an all time high of 635 for a single but that also helped e get 500 for reps. it all what your looking for bro just my 2 cents .

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131