advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifts are the best exercise to build muscle mass. True or false?

Are deadlifts the best exercise to build mass?

• Yes

Votes: 57 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 46.7%

• Total voters
I am waiting for the thread where we argue that if we could only easy one food what would it be...

Like I said already...WHO CARES there is no plausible situation in which you could only do one exercise. It doesn't matter if you think squats or deadlifts or bench are "king". Utilize what's available and if you don't do one there's plenty of others you can do.

nothing gives my back extreme pumps like stiff leg deadlifts

Deadlifts gives best bang for your buck. It works most muscle, in return more mass

I've put on amazing size and thickness since I started deads. ALOT of people don't like them because they don't understand how to do the movement correct and they can't lift very much. But when I started them years ago and perfected the movement my strength went through the roof. To me it's the #1 lift for size, strength, and thickness.

Funny seeing this post as I just did deads tonight after a long day and cardio this morning. I felt surprisingly strong (for me) ended up doing 255lbs for a single. I haven't done them in a while nor have I gone heavy in a long time. I was just having a good time tonight and was curious what I could do. In competition, I pull 300lbs in the 165lbs category and 280lbs in the 148lb category years ago. Not tremendous lifts but not too shabby for a girl just dinking around.

I feel deadlifts all along my posterior chain, from my traps to my hamstrings. I think they are a great exercise for both males and females. I like to flair my lats at the top of the movement just to ensure I am utilizing the lift to it's maximum potential. I like them and wide grip pull-ups for back development. When people can't flair their lats for competition (a huge problem for females), it's because they don't ever do lifts that truly make them feel their backs. Just doing cable pulldowns isn't going to cut it.

Funny seeing this post as I just did deads tonight after a long day and cardio this morning. I felt surprisingly strong (for me) ended up doing 255lbs for a single. I haven't done them in a while nor have I gone heavy in a long time. I was just having a good time tonight and was curious what I could do. In competition, I pull 300lbs in the 165lbs category and 280lbs in the 148lb category years ago. Not tremendous lifts but not too shabby for a girl just dinking around.

I feel deadlifts all along my posterior chain, from my traps to my hamstrings. I think they are a great exercise for both males and females. I like to flair my lats at the top of the movement just to ensure I am utilizing the lift to it's maximum potential. I like them and wide grip pull-ups for back development. When people can't flair their lats for competition (a huge problem for females), it's because they don't ever do lifts that truly make them feel their backs. Just doing cable pulldowns isn't going to cut it.
Milos Sarcev recommends the same technique, flairing of the lats, except through the entire range of motion. It really does make a difference.

The great thing about deadlifts is the total weight that can be moved in a workout. If you're pulling 405 for 10 reps times 5 sets that equals 10 tons you moved just from one exercise. It's nearly impossible not to grow after doing this much work.

Strength in the dead lift

One reason I always liked squats better than deads is because I could do a lot more weight in squats. Squating I was doing 455 for 10-12 reps but in deadlift I could only manage 405.

Many guys have a stronger deadlift than squat, but for me it was always the opposite. I guess it comes down to body mechanics. I have short arms so I think that is a disadvantage for deadlifting. I do think deadlifts are a good exercise though and used to do them at least once every other week. On the off weeks I would do stiff leg deads.

In most of the higher level powerlifters I met, squat was usually stronger. I don't know overall what it is like for most. I did my deadlifts sumo style because I was able to move more weight.

deadlifting years ago

For me, there was always a direct correlation between
deadlifts and squats. By that I mean, the more I could
deadlift, the more I could squat . . . and not vice versa.

So, yes in a roundabout way, deads are a great mass
builder alone, but especially when used in conjunction
with squats. Then you get mass squared.

FYI . . . I made my best gains doing dead lifts once a
week, at the end of a full body routine I performed
three times a week. I did deadlifts for one (1) set, every
Friday. And every Friday, just like clockwork, I added
weight to the bar. At that rate, I was soon able to
perform deadlifts with the entire York Olympic set
(~330 lbs?). When I could no longer add weight, I added
reps. ~30 reps was it before my grip gave out. And I
never wore a belt

Some thereafter, our garage gym closed its doors
and I never got back into deadlifting like I did back
then. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline
and desire, both of which are in short supply
now-a-days . . .

Deadlift is such a technical exercise. I prefer to keep it low reps. Usually form starts to break down at higher reps and that's a recipe of disaster

Deadlift is such a technical exercise. I prefer to keep it low reps. Usually form starts to break down at higher reps and that's a recipe of disaster
Very true, there is no cheating with deads.

As soon as good form is gone the set is done. To continue past proper form on deadlift is one of the fastest ways to a hospital gurney, sooner or later.

Gotta have respect for the lift which is one of the reasons why it's so great, IMO.

I think so. I've been doing them the past year and getting stronger. I use the hex bar which is friendlier on the low back.

Neither Squats or Deadlifts are too important for mass.

You can deadlift (insert any number) and look like you don't lift.

Rack pulls on leg day after all my quad and ham work. I have never been able to do deads off the ground

I squat cause my legs response pretty well but dead lifts just aren't my thing.. I'm afraid of a bicep tear

I squat cause my legs response pretty well but dead lifts just aren't my thing.. I'm afraid of a bicep tear

Squat would damage your knees if you do too much ,plz be careful

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

IMO, there is no one only exercise called the best or king", but the most suitable one for individuals. squat may hurt your knee while deadlift may hurt your arms, just choose what you suit.

I read about Why deadlifts are the best exercise to build muscle mass
and its basically saying that if you can only do one exercise in order to gain muscle, deadlifts would be the top choice, followed by squats and then bench press.

I am really bad at deadlifts because I have naturally weak and skinny forearms and my grip is terrible (always have to use gloves or straps otherwise my grip will fail me early)

Is there any alternative exercise that is as effective as building mass as the deadlift?
When will it be my turn to deadlift 5 plates (can't even do more than 3..)

Ditch the gloves man honestly, gloves will not help you grip. Most people use them because they say the bar hurts their hands and what not... If you want to build up grip strength then start doing holds at the top with deadlifts, do double overhand grip deadlifts all the way until you get to you're gonna work with.... The question when does your deadlift begin to breakdown? Video yourself, maybe share it with somebody that knows the main lifts very well..... Watch guys like Ed Coan explain the deadlift, he honestly breaks it down and explains it so well which is amazing because a lot of lifters don't at all..... Don't be so worried about the weight at the moment honestly man.... I deadlifted twice in the past 3 months due to a bad rear delt injury and tonight was the first time I pulled without pain, did double overhand and beltless until 405 then did my normal switch grip from 405-585... Didn't throw a belt on until over 495... I recorded it all and while 585 isn't my heaviest pull by any means it moved fast but my form looked like dog shit, so now that I know my strength is still relatively good its time to lower the weights and work on my form, breathing and my overall timing to the way I pull... The point of my rant is learn how to deadlift well first before you worry about throwing 495 or even 375 around.... Honestly man getting your timing and your sensations down and technique down is so important for a solid and beneficial deadlift.... Do your research and watch videos, record yourself and be honest if your pull looked like shit and just keep working at it.... If there was only one lift I could do for the rest of my life it would be the deadlift.

I think Romanian deads are superior to trap bar deads.... If done properly you feel them just smash your hammies and glutes.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear