advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifts are the best exercise to build muscle mass. True or false?

Are deadlifts the best exercise to build mass?

• Yes

Votes: 57 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 46.7%

• Total voters
Fucking wrote a long well thought out reply and it didn't fucking god damn post to the thread 😒😒😒😒

Deads are one of those exercises that really cater to particular body type. Squats too to an extent but if I had to train someone and they could only do one exercise it would be the squat.

Squats are not bad for your knees they are bad for your ego. Learn to do them right and vary your ROM.
Full length ass to grass squats are better for knees than partials. But they tend to be a lot of posterior chain.

What I like to do is start a set with a rep or two that is a little high, then a few full range, finishing the set with the middle 2/3rds of the ROM.

Do this twice a week for a year and get progressively stronger in the 8 to 15 rep range and tell me you dont blow up...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Deadlift squats and nothing else compares I don't think saying bench is even a realistic lift for overall growth! Pull and squat deep!! Grow

Personally, I get better muscle growth from power cleans that I do with deads. Maybe because I never do more than 3 reps on deadlift though...

Lol they're useless for gaining mass.

I think deads can def build a large back and is a great exercise to have in your staple. I think the big compound movements are key to building a great foundation but some people are able to do without them

Maybe if someone is doing bent over rows and T-bar rows on back day and squats and stiff leg deadlifts on leg day then they don't need a regular deadlift?

Did deads today missed 635 but I know I'll get it next time had a beastly workout

I don't believe in a "best" for gaining muscle. It's always a combination of things. They're very beneficial but if it was the best way to build muscle powerlifters and weight lifters would make bodybuilders look small is my logic.

I don't believe in a "best" for gaining muscle. It's always a combination of things. They're very beneficial but if it was the best way to build muscle powerlifters and weight lifters would make bodybuilders look small is my logic.

The question of "what's the best exercise to build mass" is pretty straight forward to me.

I'd be great if somebody did a study on this. Have 30 rank amatuer lifters with the same skeletal structure eat the same, sleep the same and otherwise live in a controlled environment for six months. Ten lifters would perform deadlifts only, ten do squats only and ten only do power cleans.

Same sets, rep scheme, same everything except selected exercise.

Then measure lean mody mass, body fat, etc. after the six month study concluded.

I'd put my money on the power cleans group building the most mass simply because it involves the most muscle, but honestly it could go either way. They're all incredible mass builders.

Last edited:
Powerlifter, been doing them for years. They definitely build your back, posterior chain and some traps and forearms. Best to keep the form good and reps low. 5 and under. Anymore reps is just cardio lol. Lots of volume tho if you aren't going really heavy. They aren't a must tho to get big. Other exercises can hit those muscles just not at the same time.

Last edited:
IMO, there is no one only exercise called the best or king", but the most suitable one for individuals. squat may hurt your knee while deadlift may hurt your arms, just choose what you suit.

You tend to post a lot of meaningless posts that are just collections of obvious observations. While most of it may be "true", it's not helpful or meaningful.

Are you a real human? Or just trying to get your post count up in every thread?

This question really cant be answered

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

deadlifts were great when I first started working out. until I screwed up my back, if I do them now its very light.

I dont see many people deadlifting heavy at my gym. Theres probably a dozen or so guys that look bigger than me at my gym that i can easily out deadlift. Deadlifted 545x3 for a pr yesterday. Chaulk no straps.

I think dumbell bench makes you the most noticeably bigger, with some incline even, elbows tucked too. Im guessing squat and deadlift can add more overall mass but ya legs and lower back arent what draws the average persons eyes first.

IMO deadlifts are necessary to continually grown and make you stronger over all!!squats are right behind it plus I just like the raw power it takes to deadlift 5-600pounds

In my mind hypothetically the movement that involves the most large muscle groups would be the best for putting on mass. Squat and deadlift would then be the best at that. Since with the deadlift you have to hold the bar and that takes some more muscles involved you might argue that uses more muscle. You could also argue that squats are better because if youre like me you can use more weight in that movement and the range of motion is longer. For me it would have to be squats.

Certainly doing more work with squats. Work = force x distance.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08