over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifts or rack deads for back?

I always disliked deads for back development, but kept my mouth shut as it was sacrilegious to think so.
I did do rack pulls and modified them with significant shoulder travel to thicken my traps - upper and lower - to good effect.

I loved both...on different pull days to mix it up mind you.
Pulling from the floor was an addiction for me. It
was a movement that I enjoyed switching up. Every
few months I'd play with an Ed Coan stance (my favorite btw)
and then switch to an early "sumo" Dan Green stance to totally
confuse my back.
I don't do either now due to having almost zero disc remaining between my L5 S1.
Instead my focus is on hypers to maintain the core strength around my lumbar spine.
So far so good.

I mean i did DL for years in PL but fully realize its a hip hinge, posterior chain movement.
As far as upper back and lat development, I've never considered the DL to be a game changing movement.
Are they involved? Yeah, kinda. But are there better ways to work them, in my opinion, yes.

Pulling a heavy mid 700 DL is still probably one of the my life's highlights lol
DL just FEEL powerful.

I think deadlifting is so cool. It's an injury hazard though, especially as we get older. My lower back is nowhere near as strong and supportive to my overall structure as it was when I did deadlift, any advice?

I always disliked deads for back development, but kept my mouth shut as it was sacrilegious to think so.
I did do rack pulls and modified them with significant shoulder travel to thicken my traps - upper and lower - to good effect.

There was a well respected featured member here, a national champ, who had a
world class back and never did deadlifts. Just an FYI.

I did them for a while, once a week, every Friday, 1 set to failure until I got up to
over my 2X my bodyweight (which was not much), for 20 reps then I ran out of
weight to add (home gym) and the only advantage I can remember is that for me,
there was always a direct correlation between deads and squats . . . the more I could
deadlift, the more I could squat, which was never very much, as much as I wanted
it be . . . did have and still have terrible legs in my opinion. My wife always said that
if I shaved them they would look great on a woman.

I was going to say..

Didn't you tear your lat doing deadlifts? Lol
Ha ha ha YES I did, being stupid going all out with 585, on the 12th pull ...BANG, felt a sharp pain in my left lat

I love rack pulls, it's like an addiction. I try to do them mid/end of back day because they destroy my lower back and I have cramps the rest of my lift (especially on some orals).

I always preferred deadlifts but I believe both are important for development

Deadlifts and squats are powerlifting movements

Never done both and i believe its the reason i got 28 inch waist at 95 kg

Rows+chins+ pulldowns + pullovers

i liked them on the smith rack. i feel they are too midsection stressing, thats why i dont do them. we talk about bigger midsections in bodybuilding evolution.
as long as i dont go too heavy i get a good stretch and flex at the top, which i like. standing tall, type of feel.
recently, i will do them once and a while, as unorthodox as it is, my gym has a platform bent over row. so the bar goes back between your legs and has a pivot behind you, and you lift the bar, for rows,
i will get closer to the handles and weight, and do deadlifts with it. just works for me. nothing over the top, just a good flex.

I used to read in the magazines when i first started in 2002, you must deadlift for a back, so done heavy for me deadlifts since I first started. Been doing them eighteen years just about every week, untill this contest prep when I cut them out. My first ten years I did deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts all in one week. I switched to rack pulls. They do thicken the lower traps up, spinal erectors, hams, and I seemed to get quad development from them. Recently I stopped them, and while I may do them, im not pushing it. I do think they can contribute to thicken obliques, that said, a lot of it is genetics and a tiny waist will keep tiny, for someone wanting to bring there waist down cutting this exercise down or out could possibility do it

This from November 2020, im on far right , tall guy, this is heavyweight bodybuilding, also did classic physique

Attachments

• Comparisons hw bb- back lat spread.jpg
    Comparisons hw bb- back lat spread.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 123
Rack deads and DC rack chins are my favorites.

I used to read in the magazines when i first started in 2002, you must deadlift for a back, so done heavy for me deadlifts since I first started. Been doing them eighteen years just about every week, untill this contest prep when I cut them out. My first ten years I did deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts all in one week. I switched to rack pulls. They do thicken the lower traps up, spinal erectors, hams, and I seemed to get quad development from them. Recently I stopped them, and while I may do them, im not pushing it. I do think they can contribute to thicken obliques, that said, a lot of it is genetics and a tiny waist will keep tiny, for someone wanting to bring there waist down cutting this exercise down or out could possibility do it

This from November 2020, im on far right , tall guy, this is heavyweight bodybuilding, also did classic physique

you guys really brought the conditioning

you guys really brought the conditioning

haha not me, I was way off

I like classic better and dont have enough muscle really to be truly competive in bodybuilding and at my height id need to put on fifty pounds, thats not happening

in classic though I can put on twenty and still be within the rules

i look more than I weigh due to 7 inch wrists, allos me to put more muscle on my frame than say a guy with 7.5 inch wrists and larger bones, weighed in at 209 lbs !

Attachments

• Comparisons hw bb- abs n thighs.jpg
    Comparisons hw bb- abs n thighs.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 74
I've never been a fan of heavy deadlifts. I just figured at best it would just make waist appear larger.

Deadlifts aren't a back movement as such, there is little to no range of motion. But at the same time, near static tension can be enough to grow.

One benefit that I see is that hard deadlifts can increase your strength on rows and pulls, don't know if it's a nervous system effect or what. If I start with a set or two of heavy low rep deads my pulling strength doesn't decrease later in the workout, seems to increase instead.

If you haven't ever done banded deadlifts you should try it just for the experience. Hard band tension, like 200+ lbs at the top from the bands alone and then add plates. Feels like the traps are about to detach from the skull and your face is about to explode lol.
I love the feeling, like you really did some work.

If you perform either properly and get poor results then move on.

The whole this one or that one, A or B, 1 vs 2 pick one mentality is SO FUCKING STUPID. I get it people need to make IG and YT videos and get the clicks but for chirsts sake do something if it works and move the fuck on if it does not. This black and white mentality is totally idiotic.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear