over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifts or rack deads for back?

Back is one of the muscle groups guys have a hard time with for a few reasons:
  • Can't visually watch the muscles work during an exercise - like curls
  • Poor execution - rowing by pulling arms all the way back instead of pulling back with elbows and a break in the wrist
  • Poor ROM - the longer your arms are, the more you need to experiment with this
  • Poor mind-muscle connection - lifting too heavy to satisfy ego
  • Blindly following bodybuilding dogma with exercise selection - pullups, DB rows, floor deadlifts, etc.
I don't have a back like b-boy but I have greatly improved it over the last few years to the point that even I'm impressed when I see pictures of myself from behind, and we all know we're our harshest critic.

Fixing the above bulleted issues all helped me. Here are some more things:
  • Being 6' with long arms, I do everything for back unilaterally except rack deadlifts - I can feel the muscle work much better this way
  • I don't do any traditional movements - no pullups, BB rows, DB rows, lat bar pulldowns, etc. - I only do what I can feel
  • Thumbless grip on everything, including rack deadlifts - helps to minimize bicep involvement
  • Rack deadlifts on a Smith machine - I get a better feel than with a barbell

I would say, one arm DB rows HEAVY, machine lat rows, then finish up HIGH REP deads for full posterior activation and pump, minimal injury risk, maximum tissue activation.

As someone who used to DL, i honestly haven't used them in YEARS for BBing purposes.
The CNS get fried when doing them and its just too much of a killer in recovery for me to use them.
I put rack deads at the very END of my workouts now, when I'm gassed.

interesting.. how severe is it?

I have diastasis recti myself, no doubt from deads. Mine bulges quite a bit in the middle when flexing and rasing my upper body.
I guess I have to get it fixed at some point, but not ready to stop heavy lifting just yet.

I stopped doing deadlifts several times...never noticed a loss in back thickness.

going to start doing them again soon..but it’s not for back

Well, Dorian was all about precise and efficient movements as well as machines so he might not laugh at them. He wasn't one of those guys who thought free weights build mass and machines polish it up. It was all about stress on the muscle intended, not about looking "hardcore" and old-school.

Regarding the poor loading curve on Hammer pieces, I've noticed it for years. Very easy on the first half, but too heavy to finish. So you lose a lot of potential stress on the first half if you do full range motions.
I never tried the Prime line of equipment but that kneeling fella, Kassem, I think he was involved in the designs or at least endorses them.

Jordan Peters is pretty hardcore and I think he is being sort of coached by Kassem.

Here's another pro doing these Kassem inspired lat pulls

its called reinventing the wheel

interesting.. how severe is it?
Annoying. I get a nice ridge up the center that pops out when my abs are contracted e.g sitting up. The top half of my navel is pushed out. I can't retract my abs fully anymore, even with an empty stomach. I could also feel painful pulling in the lower ab attachment at the front of the pelvis as other areas tried to take up the strain when doing rack pulls over three plates.

I'm not saying I won't do rack pulls in the off-season , none of this five rep stuff though, more like ten reps

Than again who's knows I might not do them since they're not that good of a back exercise

The one thing that they have helped over my almost twenty years of doing them , usually around 350 to 405 ten times , sometimes li ghter on purpose, is lower trap development, I can do other exercises though for tht like scapula retraction

They may have some benefit so may not cut them entirely

then again , they may have increased my waist, it's alot of oblique pressure starting at the bottom of a rack dead

Like all the main compound lifts deadlift squat bench it’s mainly leverage and technique that gets you lifting the big numbers not your actual muscles

I think they are great but definitely aren’t Needed in the bodybuilding gym workouts for overall mass I think a rack would better suit back development for many reasons

Slower on negative positive better muscle contraction

vs deadlift you’ll ideally lift the weight and think of slamming theground and chasing weight vs contracting squeezing the back muscles

Not a deadlift done, only 160 lbs and look at mine. Heavy bent over barbell rows and seated cable rowsView attachment 124971

Definitely a lot of thick muscle there but I'm not convinced you can build the same sort of thick concrete erectors running through the center of the back without deadlifts.

I actually think the best thing Big Ramy can do this off-season besides stay lean all year is start doing deadlifts to bring up that lower back/erectors that are his only real weakpoint. From what I can tell, Ramy has never done them.

deads work my quads, and i like how it makes me feel for posture, i get a good wide feeling at the top of motion. my gym has a tall bench you put your stomach on,
and lock your legs in behind you, so you can dip to the floor, front ways, and pull back up to even keel. low impact wise, its like a deadlift, but add a barbell with 60 lbs to it.
similiar comparison with heavy squats, can you do as well on legs with extensions and press machines? i dont know.
i think the deads and hard squats do to the midsection what we are trying to redefine, resolve in muscular physiques,

I was just watching a podcast today where Hunter Labrada said he has done them every back workout for the last 9 months and thinks they are a must. Probably all my good gains have been while doing rack pulls. Didn't loose and size when I stopped but can't say I made big gains not doing them.

After starting up squats for the first time in a decade, my erectors and overall back thickness/strength is really being effected quite a bit.

I wonder if part of the reason someone like Bboy had thick erectors before ever doing deadlifts was because he had already been doing squats

rack deads, use the correct weight and form. see guys at the gym turn them into standing leg presses

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws