over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DeadLifts

yardrock

Registered
What is the proper form? Overhand or underhand grip? Legs shoulder widthor wider with toes pointed out? Hands/arms betwwen legs or on the outside of the legs? Do you lift with the legs or back?

Not saying this is the "proper" way but heres how I do `em

Overhand, appx shoulder width, arms outside of legs, lift with everthing I have ass legs back arms,lol

seems to be mostly legs at bottom, then lower-middle of back.

for me..

legs a bit wider the shoulders, toes out, arms inside legs, left hand over right hand under. i use everything when i lift ass to shoulders.. i do sumo style somttimes just to mix stuff up

I do rack deads strictly for lat-lowback thickness. Overhand grip. Hands kind of close shoulder width inside legs, legs still not very wide. Mixed grip can develop an imbalance; underhand puts alot of stress on the bocep insertion attachment.

Use a double overhand grip and straps if you need them. I pull conventional and the only time I use the over/under grip is at a contest.

PB

i use straps, and an overhanded grip. I used to do reverse grip and as I increased the weight, the potential for injury was becoming apparent. The most important thing you could ever remember doing deadlfits is to USE YOUR LEGS! Also pull it from the floor. (real men only) Deadlifts are by far the best movement for thickness PERIOD!

I agree with using an overhand grip and straps WHEN you need them (meaning the warm-up/lighter sets go without), but as the weight gets heavier you do not want to be limited by the forearms as a weak-link.
Also, a big change I made when switching from "touch and go" reps to "full reset", meaning in between each rep the weight is completely at rest on the floor BUT I keep tight for the next rep. This works so much harder do to no momentum.
KR

Johnny Bravo

What is your best set of deads?
KH

I USE THE DOUBLE OVER HAND GRIP....

....I WANT EQUAL DEVELOPMENT. I HAVE FRIENDS WHO USE THE OFFSET GRIP AND THEY END UP WITH ONE TRAP WITH UNEVEN DEVELOPMENT. I USE STRAPS ON THE HEAVY SETS AND GO FROM THE FLOOR. I WOULDN'T USE A SUMO STANCE....UNLESS YOU'VE GOT A FUNKY STRUCTURE AND COULD LIFT MORE AT A POWERLIFTING MEET. FOR BODYBUILDING PURPOSES...USE THE HANDS OUTSIDE THE QUADS, SHOULDER WIDTH STANCE. MY OPINION.

How often do you guys deadlift? Everytime you train back ?

Johnny Bravo said:
i use straps, and an overhanded grip. I used to do reverse grip and as I increased the weight, the potential for injury was becoming apparent. The most important thing you could ever remember doing deadlfits is to USE YOUR LEGS!

I agree, Overhand Grip, Back Straight not hunched over, feet shoulder width and definately use legs.

By far the Best exercise for overall thickness!

I used to do Reverse Grip as well, now my right Bicep is paying the price.

knucklehead

My best as far as reps is 405 x18 (about 4 yrs ago)

have done 495 x 8 (2 sets)

My best was 605 x 3

I stick to 405 now though for about 8- 12 reps, and I do deads once or twice a month

The strongest person I have ever seen on deadlifts is Deadlift1k
PERIOD!

I have seen this guy deadlift 7 plates on each side (675 lbs) for 6 reps,
and 725lbs for 5!

strong as a motherfucker in legs too

Last edited:
yardrock said:
How often do you guys deadlift? Everytime you train back ?

I do every-other workout, I get the variety that way. It also allows me to keep as much "distance" as possible between heavy squat days and heavy deadlift days so that neither suffer.

KR

LIKE THE FELLA SAID ABOUT....ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS FOR ME.

OTHERWISE I END UP MESSING UP MY HEAVY LEG DAYS....LOW BACK TAKES A BEATING......DON'T WANT INJURIES.:D

Re: knucklehead

Johnny Bravo said:
I stick to 405 now though for about 8- 12 reps, and I do deads once or twice a month

I agree once or twice a month, every other week for me was rough. But everyone is different. I would also concentrate on form rather than weight. pulling something in your lower back is not fun.

Oh! and 725lbs, that was a long time ago. 495lbs will do the job for me know.

later

I do a 3wk cycle on deads. 1wk heavy to 500x5-8; 2wk heavy 600x2-5; 3wk off. than back again...

John - Real men only from the floor? Please say that to Reese next time you are in the gym LOL! ;) Its all hard work...

I knew I would get you mike lol!:D You and Reese are "Real" men, i'll let you slide;)

Haha I knew you were waiting on a reaction for that one! :D

Mikes and Jbravo...I think it's funny that you fellas fork each other crap!

I wish I could train at the gym where you guys are for a while. Sounds like a good hardcore group of guys. Mike....I have to side with Bravo on this one. I partial squat 10000 pounds! hahaha:) Yeah, that's right 10,000...hahahaha........I tried calling you tonight but you stood me up again!

As for grips, I use overhand on all but my heaviest set. Then I do alternating grip but switch the hand I do under with each time. Hopefully this counters whatever imbalance might occur.

I do them once/week but alternate weeks are heavy and lighter.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131