over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dealing With Injuries - Herniated Disc

Essentially87

Newbies
Hello all,
Well a little background lifting info so I can catch you up to where I am at. I have been active my whole life, sports etc, the last 2 years have been consecutive weight training and my attempt to become a bodybuilder.

During the past 2 years I developed bursitis in my left shoulder, went to PT for it eventually, tried Dante's towel stretches but it was pretty jacked up. No pain in it now but definitely have to watch it because it is easy to tweak in the gym.

As soon as I was released from PT about 3 months ago I basically ran to the gym and started dead lifting. It wasn't that much weight and the doc thinks the disc was already degenerated but this is when I herniated it. I think atleast, from that night on I have had pain that runs from my lower back down into my left glute. Anyways its an L5 disc herniation. Second disc from the bottom of my back.

I got my first cortisone shot earlier today. The local anesthesia made my back feel better and I swear I feel like my Sartorius muscles have just had a ton of pressure let off of them. Any thoughts about this?

Treatment: Well I am going back to PT because they did miracles for me in pain relief with my shoulder. I am optimistic they will help a lot with my back pain as well. Any suggestions on what else to do? Anybody else here had the same or similar problem with their back? Any research on AAS that could help? Thanks to the guiding advice of some members here and at Alinboard I have decided I would wait till 25, (23 now) and try to perfect my form and diet before my first cycle. The pain at this point though is mentally exhausting. If AAS would be beneficial I am ready.

Thanks for reading

Other than getting the surgery I think everything will only have a short-lived effect. That being said what could definitely be useful if you could do it daily is one of these

Attachments

• inversion-table-1.jpg
    inversion-table-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,009
Nothing you can do but rest, drink lots of water, take lots of vitamins, basically clean living, and see your Chiropractor. It is possible to recover without surgery, I know because I was able to. I had a bulging disc soo bad that I had to miss three months of work. Couldn't lay down, couldn't sit, the only thing comfortable was standing and not moving. I always felt in life you could suck up just about any pain if you had the mindset, my disc problem proved that wrong.

Long story short, 11 months after it started I was back to a mostly normal life. Years later I still squat and deadlift. I did much research on this in those three months sitting home.... Do a search on Laser Disc Decompression. The ONLY option if you need surgery IMO. This was the route I was ready to take until I started to finally show some improvement on my own. Check it out, let me know if you have any questions.

Been there , done that. That pain in your ass is your sciatic nerve. Ska swelling of or disc impingement, causing issues to that nerve. When I herniated my disc same spot as yours I had no range of motion. Pt was a joke. Deep tissue massage helped me emensly. I stretch my hamstrings daily and use ....yes I know may be gay but helps ... Yoga low back stretches. I continue to lift heavy dc type grainy without issues. However, I have not and fo not plan on deadlifting again. Good luck.

Do you think the inversion table will actually help for a herniated disc? I work at a gym and have access to one. I will try to start spending a couple minutes on it every time I go in.

Yoga. I don't care about looking like a bitch in there. The gym I work at has some beautiful women who teach it and even more beautiful women that take it. I have been saying I was going to start for about a year now but never find the time to work it in. I know in Yoga there is a lot of compression and decompression of the spine in certain stretches. Do you think the compression would just aggravate the injury?

JCagle, exactly what stretches do you do for your ham strings? I also have a lot of inflexibility in my hips I think from the fact that my sartorial muscles are strung tight as %$*#

I feel like I am already experiencing some relief from the cortisone shot I had around noon today. Its only been 9 hours though and they told me it was going to be 72 before the steroids start to take effect. They also said the injections only work in about 50% of the people. May be a mental thing but whatever as long as my back isn't hurting I will take what I can get.

Edit: How has this affected your guys' lifestyles' as bodybuilders? How have you learned to protect yourself from reinjury in the gym? Are there exercises you have found that help eg. does really developing your upper back help keep the discs pulled apart and decompressed?

Last edited:
I stretch my hams by lying on my back with either a jump rope or a powerband hooked around my heels. Try to keep legs straight until streched. Then lower under control with legs straight hold just short of heels touching ground. Repeat with progression. Good luck. Your injury is still fresh. I would take a couple of weeks off before getting to crazy on rehabing.

It will help temporarily to decompress yes. Of course in the long run the problem stays. I would definitely never deadlift or squat (heavy) again. Imo those two are not worth it in the long term with all the compression they cause anyway.

Disc

I herniated the same disc 3 years ago. With stabs at masking the problem I eventually and I mean in a month got to where I couldnt barely walk. In for a discectomy. 24 hours in hospital, 2 weeks in bed afterwards, 6 weeks recovery with easy walking. On the 7th week I done a 5K gently. It took me a 1.5 years to get brave enough to lift any weights and then another year to get back to hammering big weights with squat and deadlifts. Stretching is part of life and if not done isnt good for me. The yoga thing where u R on ur belly and push up with teh rest of ur body flattened to stretch ur back is a mainstay for me alonfd with hamstring stretches. I thought the lite pain in my back was growing old at 38. Then I fell and finished the job. After surgery it was amazing. I could walk and no pain at all. I just get stiff and cramped if I dont stretch. In the last 6 months Ive got my passion for weightlifting back and feel confident. Watch my form closely and roll with it. If it herinates again Im doing surgery again none of the masking techniques for me. There are many surgical break throughs in this area now I think.
One other thing. YOu will know very well how your core muscles are tied together if they cut to the spine. Its severed and you are very unsteady because of it until it heals.
Best recovery time for me 1.6 years. I said best now meaning 100%. I was 80% in 6 months. Good luck and sorry to hear about the trouble.

I was back to training in less than 6 months and that was after getting a prosthetic disc and a year later a double fusion so 1.5y seems a little over-recovered:D

my experiences with chiropractic medicine have been down right awful. I think the advice here is good all the way around. You can heal it yourself, without a doubt.
2x for me,
2 fired chiro's as well.
-c

It depends on the severity of your injury. I had surgery for two completely blown discs in my lower back, and everything else would've just been putting off the inevitable.

Last edited:
I ruptured the same disc 8 years ago and had a micro lam to fix it. It was the best thing ever. No pain after surgery and was back at it in 3 months. Now I have a rupture on L5 S1 and just got a shot 2 weeks ago. All the pain is gone. Its a small rupture and my surgeon thinks if we can keep the spasms down and not injure it further it will resolve itself overtime. Surgery is not an option at this point because It would require an artificial disc and fusing my lower back, they would have to go in through my stomach. My surgeon doesn't want to do this surgery unless we have have tried everything else. In my opinion stay away from chiros, have seen them make people with. They have their place but not with disc injuries. Just take your time and do exactly what they say in PT and stretch lots. Take care of yourself bro.

I have two bulging lower discs. I find it a tremendous help to sleep with my legs propped up. This forces your lower back to flatten out. Stiff mattresses help as well. Surgery is the absolute last resort.

I have a tear/dessicated disc in my lower back (l5). The doctor told a disc replacement was the only sugrery that will fix it. But thats going to be a last resort for me. I haven't done deadlifts or heavy squats in probably 2 years. However, i'm still able to run and walk around without too much pain.

I've tried chiro, and cortisone shots, but it only provided a slight temporary relief. What I find that has helped is to stretch alot, the goal being to relief as much pressure on the damaged disc as possible. Also look into getting a foam roller. I use a roller after every back/leg workout, and also after showering to relieve tension in my back/legs.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131