over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Death of bodybuilding?

machomadness22

Registered
I was at a show this past weekend and I was very disappointed in how the scoring/overall night went its almost like the sport of bodybuilding doesnt even cater to "bodybuilders" I feel that the center of attention is always on physique guys and bikini girls. My buddy was up for the overall as a heavyweight and he and I noticed the judges were passing their score cards down before they even hit their quarter turns, I mean how do you decide that quickly!? You can't! These judges are rushing through shows cause they are on a time-line now so they can get to the real money maker: physique and bikini! I found the same thing when I competed as well they gave me a medal for winning my class but gave the physique guys trophies and swords! and that was an NPC show! a small one but still! I just feel that its time to separate the two classes to give back to the sport of bodybuilding. Does anyone feel the same, please any judges or pros feel free to post. Sorry to rant :banghead:

Because Bodybuilding will never be as popular.

People can relate to physique and fitness look, and frankly to the average person it's more appealing than seeing 300 pound guys.

Most normal people think the "huge bulky" look is gross and unappealing.

Because Bodybuilding will never be as popular.

People can relate to physique and fitness look, and frankly to the average person it's more appealing than seeing 300 pound guys.

Most normal people think the "huge bulky" look is gross and unappealing.

Its true, it takes a lot more desire to be competitive nowadays.
Last show I did in 2012 there were 30 or so bbers and 100 physique competitors I imagine now its even more disproportionate.
I don't really mind them as long as they keep their traps shut.
Some just act like sanctimonious prima donnas some of the other guys are just as cool as can be.

It's a Shame!!!

The trend can be seen not only at the shows but in the local gyms as well as the big National Gyms. These facilities don't want bodybuilders anymore. They are catering to the physique skinny guys and I am not judging to each his own but I prefer to have a little more size on me. Just my opinion.

I love seeing the freaks and wonder what it must be like to be that huge and ripped. Honestly it looks awesome...and painful and unhealthy. But awesome.

IMO, Physique and Classic are what's keeping BB alive among the body-admiring public. Simply put, more people pay to see beauty than oddity (as they may consider it).

The judges and powers-that-be allowed this to happen. I agree that it sucks that the true BBers get punished. But the judges wanted "progress" and thought that meant "bigger". They were too myopic to see that "bigger" is only aesthetic in (and to) a very small percentage of people. Some people pull it off (Dennis Wolf, IMO). Most others, don't.

This whole distended gut, heavy breathing, unhealthy look could have been stopped by heavily detracting points from the first person or group who showed up that way. It would have shown the athletes and public alike that there is indeed a point of "too much", even in such an extreme sport...

But then they'd have to define "progress" as something aside from just being bigger. I guess attracting a growing number of fans to aesthetic physiques didn't qualify as progress. So you get physique...and they let the best in the sport, the true freaks, just rot, 'cuz there's no money in it. :(

Last edited:
I love seeing the freaks and wonder what it must be like to be that huge and ripped. Honestly it looks awesome...and painful and unhealthy. But awesome.

IMO, Physique and Classic are what's keeping BB alive among the body-admiring public. Simply put, more people pay to see beauty than oddity (as they may consider it).

The judges and powers-that-be allowed this to happen. I agree that it sucks that the true BBers get punished. But the judges wanted "progress" and thought that meant "bigger". They were too myopic to see that "bigger" is only aesthetic in (and to) a very small percentage of people. Some people pull it off (Dennis Wolf, IMO). Most others, don't.

This whole distended gut, heavy breathing, unhealthy look could have been stopped by heavily detracting points from the first person or group who showed up that way. It would have shown the athletes and public alike that there is indeed a point of "too much", even in such an extreme sport...

But then they'd have to define "progress" as something aside from just being bigger. I guess attracting a growing number of fans to aesthetic physiques didn't qualify as progress. So you get physique...and they let the best in the sport, the true freaks, just rot, 'cuz there's no money in it. :(
All good points.
Its sad because without the freaks there wouldn't have been a sport to splinter off into physique and bikini, they would be a chippendales and bud lite bikini contests.
Just saying.

Yeah its sad to see, but shouldnt it be separate? I was telling my buddy how is it fair for me as an athlete to go diet and do cardio every day sometimes twice a day for 3-4 months then get up on stage and have a judge make up his mind in 5 seconds! I compete cause its fun but I also compete to win. Most physique guys always come across as douchey to me and always hog the mirrors in the pump up room hours before they go out! I understand the attraction in their physiques I do, but why does the NPC have to cater to the Ken and Barbie look why not just separate the shows?

Yeah its sad to see, but shouldnt it be separate? I was telling my buddy how is it fair for me as an athlete to go diet and do cardio every day sometimes twice a day for 3-4 months then get up on stage and have a judge make up his mind in 5 seconds! I compete cause its fun but I also compete to win. Most physique guys always come across as douchey to me and always hog the mirrors in the pump up room hours before they go out! I understand the attraction in their physiques I do, but why does the NPC have to cater to the Ken and Barbie look why not just separate the shows?

I feel the same, but its all money...thats the reality.

Everyone is on the same page here and i think everyone is right, its obvious the sport and the industry is going in a new direction. Like all industries it has to adjust to the times, and find new ways to create revenue. With the addition of Bikini, Figure and Physique there are so many more people that are involved and therefore there is so much more revenue coming in.

Ten years ago the average girl who went to the gym really saw no place for themselves in the BB competition landscape. They might go to the gym and buy Shape or Self magazine but they would never venture near a show. Now a girl that has been training for a few years can be interested in a Bodybuilding show, and possibly even competing in one because of the bikini division. And now they might be buying MD magazine or Flex...

So it draws in whole new group of people who are buying supps and magazines and the industry needed that for its continued success.

However with that being said bodybuilding will never truly die because in every gym there is someone who wants to be the biggest MoFo in there, and who wants to train the hardest and lift the heaviest weights. So no i dont think its dying its just not at the forefront of the industry anymore.

Because there is little to any monetary incentive now to promote and produce a BB only show.

Sorry everytime I got to a show everybody goes to the pisser unless the bodybuilding is up

Sorry everytime I got to a show everybody goes to the pisser unless the bodybuilding is up

I mean over 90% of the time the covers of the magazines are bodybuilders and most supplement companies use Bodybuilders as their main promoters of supplements. So you got a point...

Its not going anywhere anytime soon. Like Ajdos said without BB there would be no place for these other divisions to have gotten started.

I hear ya MM.

Just know that the evening posing routines count for nadda
in even higher level NPC shows. All the scoring is done in prejudging,
the Overall is usually determined at night.

However if one athlete is far superior, the decision can be made very quickly.

That may explain the judges passing their score cards. (???????)

-MT

I was at a show this past weekend and I was very disappointed in how the scoring/overall night went its almost like the sport of bodybuilding doesnt even cater to "bodybuilders" I feel that the center of attention is always on physique guys and bikini girls. My buddy was up for the overall as a heavyweight and he and I noticed the judges were passing their score cards down before they even hit their quarter turns, I mean how do you decide that quickly!? You can't! These judges are rushing through shows cause they are on a time-line now so they can get to the real money maker: physique and bikini! I found the same thing when I competed as well they gave me a medal for winning my class but gave the physique guys trophies and swords! and that was an NPC show! a small one but still! I just feel that its time to separate the two classes to give back to the sport of bodybuilding. Does anyone feel the same, please any judges or pros feel free to post. Sorry to rant :banghead:

I agree with gs....... People know who puts in the real work. Physique guys at my shows are not cheered on like the bodybuilders.

Money money.. you got 5x the amount in physigue then bodybuilding imagine those entry fees an npc cards these people are paying for.. lots of money

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

I hear ya MM.

Just know that the evening posing routines count for nadda
in even higher level NPC shows. All the scoring is done in prejudging,
the Overall is usually determined at night.

However if one athlete is far superior, the decision can be made very quickly.

That may explain the judges passing their score cards. (???????)

-MT

Appreciate the feedback.

The audience really isn't getting much bigger for Physique or Bikini. It's the contestants. The number of entrants is EXPLODING now. That's what they are after: The membership dues and all that goes with it.

Pro BBing is carrying the big shows. For now.

"It's all about bucks, kid." -- Gordon Gekko

Money money.. you got 5x the amount in physigue then bodybuilding imagine those entry fees an npc cards these people are paying for.. lots of money

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

100 physique athletes x 110.00 NPC card, and show application fees.

bodybuilding wont go anywhere. we have survived for years. they cannot stop obsessive maniacal juice shooting, iron throwing brotherhood!!!headbang:

lil dramatic but seriously, bodybuilding will always find a way. even if we need to create a mens bikini comp to fund our sick obsession. physique is an example that it looks like we will do what it takes to keep funding shows so we can be freaks:D
-JS

Last edited:
bodybuilding wont go anywhere. we have survived for years. they cannot stop obsessive maniacal juice shooting, iron throwing brotherhood!!!headbang:
lil dramatic but seriously. bodybuilding will always find a way lol.
-JS

Haha! I love it :headbang:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws