over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DEFY THE MEATHEAD STEREOTYPE!!

method2madness

Registered
As a cyber-community of bodybuilders and those involved in the sport and/or the lifestyle we are often seen as the stereotypical "meathead". What qualities do you have that defy this stereotype and the assumptions that go along with it?

Rarely is the word "bro" used in a conversation.
Don't talk about lifting and/or diet all the time.
Don't stare at myself in the mirror (in public haha)

I lift things up and put them down

I am a medical professional..
I don't tell anybody I know irl that I lift. Nor do I talk about it unless they ask.
I only spend <4 hrs a week in the gym
Got no irl friends except maybe 2 that lift

I think that as long as you don't TRY to make it an issue it wont be. Do your job with professionalism and go about your day like a normal person. Guys that talk constantly about how much protein they need - or what they cant eat or that they cant miss a meal come across like douche bags. I think that many guys WANT to be noticed as a bodybuilder and desire that attention desperately. You know who you are and you are tools.. I want to be the best in my profession - which has nothing to do with bodybuilding or the gym - so that's 100% my focus during the work day. Will people notice that I look different - of course - and I do get a lot of questions or comments. I just don't make an issue out of them and down play it. I don't like talking about bodybuilding AT ALL while I am at work. If I am meeting a new business associate or client - and they are into the gym or show an interest then of course I will talk but that just good sales :D
It seems to be the guys that are newer to the sport that make it a big deal. Sometimes the very insecure will do that as well. I think its a major misconception that all bodybuilders are insecure. I was confident as a 165 Marine and I am no more or less confident now.

NEVER start a conversation with anyone about weight lifting or fitness. Let them start the conversation with you, and give brief answers. Obviously, if they are also bodybuilders, this rule doesn't apply.

Be funny if you have a sense of humor.

Don't wear clothing that is too revealing that draws attention (except at the gym).

Talk about your job or other general things.

I have this whole thing mastered. People would judge me as a meathead when they would see me (well I'm not big anymore but they used to) until I start talking and destroy their perception of me.

Being confident enough to use self-deprecating humor is a VERY effective way to break down walls and eliminate negative stereotypes. Everyone loves someone that is OK with making fun of themselves.
Women absolutely love that. Most of the time when guys try to act "confident" it comes across as arrogant - which is often perceived as pathetic and unsure of themselves. You don't have to be a total goofball - although some of us cant seem to help ourselves!! :D

This is one of the reasons I have become disenchanted by bodybuilding and even lifting in general this year... my BB "friends" only care about BB and since I have taken a bit of a step back they have kinda turned their backs on me. I just got engaged and have been enjoying spending more time with my fiance, along with expanding my reptile breeding business and doing more educational work. I have a BA in Philosophy and am pursuing a MS in Finance, I have friends from all walks of life and a great diversity to my daily routine... my BB friends have bodybuilding, and that's about it.

The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.

The way we look is reason enough to judged. Realize that you're (we're) sick with obsession. Don't fucking try to talk about it with people who clearly don't give a fuck. Don't brag about your dreary, joyless diet habits and whatnot. If you do that, then you have become a stupid, annoying meathead.

That's all you need to know fellas.

im not obsessed^
i wouldn't categorize everybody like that bro

nvm, i just thought about it. yeah i'm obsessed.

im not obsessed^
i wouldn't categorize everybody like that bro

You live it and breathe it, don't you? You give advice here often. You're here posting on Friday night? You train people, right? You've prepped people and "turned people pro."I'm not trying to label anyone unfairly, but it sounds like you're in it pretty deep. No? I'm pretty fucking obsessed with diet and supplements and training and I don't really involve myself like you have. Just saying... I'm not trying to disrespect. Just saying we're aliens to average Americans with our habits and diets and such.

nvm, i just thought about it. yeah i'm obsessed.

Realization/acceptance is the first step to recovery! Lol.

Last edited:
I listen to classical music.

I also like rock instrumentals like Metallica for example, "Orion" and "Call of Ktulu" come to mind.

People are often surprised to learn that I am an educator. Additionally when they learn this they generally assume I teach Phys Ed, but with a M.A. in history/administration I currently work as an administrator for the past two years and a history teacher for 8 years prior to that. Being the only fit person in a building full of unhealthy teachers makes you stand out significantly.
My religion (Judaism) is also not typically associated with physical fitness, let alone actual bodybuilding, but I've always felt at home in the gym and not so much in temple or religious environments. I am a confident but certainly not cocky like most assume(incorrectly) a bodybuilder would be. I'm kind of like the 21st century Mike Katz.

Some of you guys overthink this shit...the real word checks you out if you have a nice lid and or nice clothes. I have never once told anyone " I am a bodybuilder" I would just feel ignorant saying something like that.

Last edited:
Or how about when you attempt to speak in an educated manner, some dick who thinks he is far superior to you calls you pompous?

I feel in order to be sucessful at anything in life, you have to be obsessed. That being said, when people ask me " wow, do you bodybuild or do you weight train" I glady say yes. I dont feel it is a shameful thing at all. I feel it is how you handle yourself.

Now the term, meathead is kind of ironic. Reason being, for you to actually see drastic results and grow major amounts of lean muscle tissue you have to have vast knowledge of food, supplements, drugs, training and most importantly what works for YOU. Like i said its ironic because people use the term meathead as if you were an idiot and had a low IQ but in reality I feel people that bodybuild or weight train are very smart because you have to be in order to see results. Well unless your genetically blessed but even then, you still need to know what works for you.

We are very extreme people. We have probably the hardest work ethic and will power more than 99% of the population. People rarely relate to us. As a matter of fact, i feel people are so quick to pass judgement on us but i have learned its not us, its the people passing judgement that are having a bad day or are insecure. i will tell you this, when i am training in the gym, i do notice when i walk to go to my next excercise, some dudes have the need to puff their chest out and grow imaginary lats. I think its the funniest thing ever.

-Baseline

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity