over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Delts - What works best for you?

You want to work all areas of the shoulder. For rear delts you want to incorporate a high row were your elbows come back as far as possible and in line with your rear delts. In order to do that your arms/elbows need to be lowered (the video posted by the OP explains this perfectly). I do this on pull day and it's usually in the form of a db or machine row and something like the assisted t-bar row can be perfect for this as your are supported so maximum tension can be achieved. I also use an incline bench and often do db rows. Although with the incline bench set up I am able to also do db rear delt flyes in the same angle and that hits the rear delts perfectly as well.

On push day I will always incorporate two variations of lateral raises and often one of those includes a drop set. Pretty self explanatory and I use db's, cables or machines for the lateral raises. Then comes 1 pressing movement and ideally this will be seated so maximum tension can be achieved. This could be a shoulder or incline press and often in the smith machine or a plate loaded machine but it varies and I also use machines, db's or a barbell. So 2 lateral raises and 1 press and you can't go wrong. Just get as strong as possible and use good form. If you want to add in a y raise or other variation of a front raise that is fine and don't overcomplicate things and listen to your body and rotate volume through the year. I train shoulders with chest so I don't go over the top with shoulder volume because for the chest I usually perform 1-2 pressing, 1 flye and 1 dip movement(s).

Your shoulders get hit a lot indirectly so for most I wouldn't recommend adding in loads of frequency unless your volume is very low each day. Hit them hard and let them recover. Through the year you can go hard with the volume but in a sensible manner. If upping frequency I would mainly keep it to lateral and rear delt raises with light-moderate weight. Pressing heavy very frequently will likely lead to issues down the road so that's why I mainly keep chest and shoulders together.

Imo Devil you need to do volume with drops and giants, followed by a rest day. With a emphasis on front delts too which most of us don’t have to isolate bc we get big enough from pressing movements. You have a round physique that looks good but you’re a little narrow. How long you been out? I didn’t truly grow until I stopped doin my 3-5 mile runs, it’s hard to quit but once I did I drew and fast.
I EAS'd in 2010

Imo Devil you need to do volume with drops and giants, followed by a rest day. With a emphasis on front delts too which most of us don’t have to isolate bc we get big enough from pressing movements. You have a round physique that looks good but you’re a little narrow. How long you been out? I didn’t truly grow until I stopped doin my 3-5 mile runs, it’s hard to quit but once I did I drew and fast.
Want to give an example of a giant set that I could incorporate?

What never worked? Any type of overhead press.

What worked? Lateral raises and rear delt raises with lower weights for a shit ton of reps. 20+ reps finally got my shoulders growing. Heavy presses never worked. That is one reason why I dropped DC training. For me, I simply think some body parts (delts/calves) respond better to isolation work with a shit ton of reps. Mind muscle connection trumps load IMO. Chest...triceps...diff story.

The majority of my mass and roundness came from heavye Behind the neck presses. I would do 315x8 for several sets, but was always careful to keep the bar from going to far down past the ears.

Nowadays I don't do much pressing and really focused on rear delts when I planned to get back on stage. That development came from rack deads and direct rear delt work

20190313_185348~2.jpg 20190318_185958~2.jpg

Why not do both - rope pulls - face pulls w.e and reverse pec dec -- rear delts people normally have issues - have to squeeze at the end of the pec and end of the face pulls - Squeeze baby

It all works as long as its stimulation - once its not...switch out
They both work but I’ve always used the face pills as a trap exercise, have you ever tried putting the cable settings at the top no attachment light-mod weight with right hand left tower and pull over a down in an arc after rear delts with DBs or the dec

Want to give an example of a giant set that I could incorporate?
So I’d start with db presses, go to lateral raises, then rear delts with DBs, next upright rows, and I’d close out with machine press. I do these all to failure with mod weight going from one to the next as fast as I can so you gotta set it all up first. I did this with chest on ALL the hammer strength machines, pec Dec, and ended with db press and my chest was wonderfully brutalized mind you I had 45 lb plates just one per side and did this as my last thing. Fresh I can put 3-4 wheels on them for reps but I use it to hammer out the last bit and then can barely drive home. So it’s a mix of harder stuff and shaping stuff but no rest and INTENSITY.

SEMPER FI

Overhead press variations and lateral raises like everyone has already mentioned. I do like doing upright rows although I realize it is really a compound movement utilizing many muscle groups. I think the most common thing I see lacking is rear delts. Well developed rear delts can definitely add and improve the overall look. I feel like they are somewhat hard to target and isolate at least for myself. This is me the other day attempting to isolate rear delts. Not the best angle as I am my own cameraman LOL.

Overhead press variations and lateral raises like everyone has already mentioned. I do like doing upright rows although I realize it is really a compound movement utilizing many muscle groups. I think the most common thing I see lacking is rear delts. Well developed rear delts can definitely add and improve the overall look. I feel like they are somewhat hard to target and isolate at least for myself. This is me the other day attempting to isolate rear delts. Not the best angle as I am my own cameraman LOL.

You do get a lot more back with that style than lighter weight in a reverse fly motion imo. Maybe do both if you just love those but that’s more of a bent over row an up right row you are standing and pulling the weight from waist to chin.

I normally do 4 sets of standing side lateral dumbbell raises 15-20 reps to get the blood flowing good. Then go to military press 4 sets 8-12 reps. Then upright rows 4 sets 12-15 reps again. Then finish up with dumbbell front raises 6-12 reps. My traps are pretty big but my side delts lag a little so I’m going to be looking at some of the routines you guys do.

You do get a lot more back with that style than lighter weight in a reverse fly motion imo. Maybe do both if you just love those but that’s more of a bent over row an up right row you are standing and pulling the weight from waist to chin.
Maybe it's a bad angle on video but lats are not engaged at all. Strictly pulling with rear delts. Think kind of like a face pull. I guess everybody has different exercises that work for them. I've done plenty of reverse flies and do them fairly often. They hit rear delts of course but I find they engage other muscle groups as well (which is fine) so I like this move to really isolate them.

Maybe it's a bad angle on video but lats are not engaged at all. Strictly pulling with rear delts. Think kind of like a face pull. I guess everybody has different exercises that work for them. I've done plenty of reverse flies and do them fairly often. They hit rear delts of course but I find they engage other muscle groups as well (which is fine) so I like this move to really isolate them.
yea i just watched it...looks good - def more isolated - you have the dumbells up high on the shoulder

Gonna give that a go with really light weight to see how it feels on rear shoulders

I personally don't like anything I need to bend over o_O - Lol thats just me I hate bending over - but anyway - see how it feels tomorrow before I do chest

always nice to learn something new

Yea all three of those engage traps pretty good

Dumbell side laterals are king.

Next up would be upright rows.
After that presses on a steep incline.

Then front raises palm down.

Also utilize the side lateral machine with pads on the elbows, too.

But side laterals are king.

Upright rows….y’all using a barbell or dumbbell? Or cable machine?

Dumbell side laterals are king.

Next up would be upright rows.
After that presses on a steep incline.

Then front raises palm down.

Also utilize the side lateral machine with pads on the elbows, too.

But side laterals are king.
Agreed but at the end when you’re fried if your gym has the padded delt machine you talked about, nothing like jumping on there and doing high rep pump sets 50-100 to have you walking out the gym door sideways 💪🏼

Shoulders have always been my favorite body part to workout

Typically I'll start with rear delts higher reps then move onto a pressing movement where I'll go somewhat heavy and end up the peak set being 8-10 reps followed by a drop set burn out

Then the rest is higher rep ultra focused

Starting to think that maybe I should have always done this with every body part LOL

Shoulders have always been my favorite body part to workout

Typically I'll start with rear delts higher reps then move onto a pressing movement where I'll go somewhat heavy and end up the peak set being 8-10 reps followed by a drop set burn out

Then the rest is higher rep ultra focused

Starting to think that maybe I should have always done this with every body part LOL
Pretty much the same here. Rear delts, then rest pause shoulder press, then straight set y raises or machine laterals for a coupe sets

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear