over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dexa scans to track progress?

manilla

Registered
Does anyone here use dexa scans regularly to track their progress?

I've recently got one done and I'm wondering if it's been accurate. A friend of mine claims it's not that accurate after losing fat and looking leaner in the mirror but a second dexa scan said he gained fat and lost muscle...but he was leaner then his last dexa according to himself/the mirror.

I plan to have another in 8-10 weeks at the end of a bulk.

ktk.jpg

sp9po9.png

Dexa scan is the most accurate for measuring body fat and also most useful for older people checking bone density. What`s his story.. was he dieting down? Using gear? If that`s a yes and a no then its very likely he could have lost muscle and gained a little fat. Just cause a person weighs less doesnt mean they lost all fat. I believe the dexa margin of error is 1-3%, they people who did test (or google) could tell you exactly. Personally I feel some people get way to over consumed with having to know "I`m X bf%"... does it really matter? I`ve never had one woman ask my BF%, or bench press for that matter, before she gobbled my turkey.

Dexa scan is the most accurate for measuring body fat and also most useful for older people checking bone density. What`s his story.. was he dieting down? Using gear? If that`s a yes and a no then its very likely he could have lost muscle and gained a little fat. Just cause a person weighs less doesnt mean they lost all fat. I believe the dexa margin of error is 1-3%, they people who did test (or google) could tell you exactly. Personally I feel some people get way to over consumed with having to know "I`m X bf%"... does it really matter? I`ve never had one woman ask my BF%, or bench press for that matter, before she gobbled my turkey.

Yes he had lowered his dosing to 500mg test e after a blast

Honestly I believe it's from just lack of a consistent diet and playing too much rugby (cardio, though you'd think he'd have gotten leaner lol). Guess we will see. I'm going to get a test done in 8 weeks and so will he. I'll post up his new and old results and see what they say. If he's gone backwards again I'm going to lmfao... because he trains consistently

I'm just surprised more people don't use this dexa scan to track their progress if they are accurate. $90 (AUD) for a scan isn't bad.

I think dexa scans are awesome and what better way to tell you whether what you are doing training and diet wise is working...

how tall is your friend? by my calculations he is 212lbs of lean body mass which is pretty darn good and 10% bodyfat

Last edited:
I think dexa scans are awesome and what better way to tell you whether what you are doing training and diet wise is working...

how tall is your friend? by my calculations he is 212lbs of lean body mass which is pretty darn good and 10% bodyfat

The dexa scan in the original post is mine. I'm 185cm (6'1)

I don't have his results. I was asking if I should use it and and believe in the results and if anyone else has experience! If it's worth getting a follow up in 8 weeks etc. The only guy I know who uses it is my buddy and he doesn't agree with the results lol. Likely denial?

I suppose I'll know in 8 weeks. I plan to get to 115kg.

Have you ever had yours done a few times? Results what you expected each time?

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for sharing this info, i have never seen one of these scans before. Gonna have to get one done sometime soon

Thanks for sharing this info, i have never seen one of these scans before. Gonna have to get one done sometime soon

Definitively do it! But you can feel a bit disappointed by the result :p

Especially when people think they are "8% BF" when in reality they are around 12.

Just got same idea tracking progress with dexa scans every 6 months or so
Did 1st this summer
Exactly same template as yours
60 euro in Paris
45y 81kg 171cm 12%bf (was told by operators with calipers 10%bf which is usual discrepancy btw 2 methods on lean athletes according to his experience)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Professional Muscle mobile app

Just got same idea tracking progress with dexa scans every 6 months or so
Did 1st this summer
Exactly same template as yours
60 euro in Paris
45y 81kg 171cm 12%bf (was told by operators with calipers 10%bf which is usual discrepancy btw 2 methods on lean athletes according to his experience)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Professional Muscle mobile app

And which BF% did you think you were that moment?

Dexa scams are awesome. I used them after my last bulk and then the cut following that. It was awesome to see actual numbers to back up all of my hard work! Gives you something to back yourself up too as most people just completely guess at body fat and truly have no clue.

Have you ever had yours done a few times? Results what you expected each time?

Yes I have had 2-3 over the last 4 years. I was ecstatic to be honest with you with the results. I am 6'1" also and have been on TRT for almost a decade so i was shocked to see that my LBM was 226lbs the first time and 228lbs the second time about a year and a half later. Thats a boatload of muscle mass for someone on TRT and it really makes me wonder what my LBM was when i was fully loaded. It tells me that i have my training and diet on point...no doubt about it.

I actually think DEXA scans are probably the most underrated and overlooked tool there is in bodybuilding. Someone could think they were doing everything right and 2 years later find out they just wasted 2 years of lifting and eating with a DEXA scan...so they need to reaccess and throw their gameplan in the trash....and go at this endeavor in a radically different way......thats very valuable info

Last edited:
I have access to a bod pod. For FREE at school so I'm taking advantage of that monthly! It's not as accurate as dexa but more cost effective right now [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my first dexa scan a couple weeks ago. When I started this cut, my little handheld electric scanner said I was 17%. Weeks later when I could see all my abs, it said 16.7%. Wtf?

The dexa scan came back at 12%. I might as well throw away the handheld thing. I'll get another dexa scan in a few weeks when I think I'm getting close to 8%.

Here's a picture of me I took a few weeks ago. (I'm the guy in the dexa in the OP) if anyone was wondering what that dexa looks like.

ve0h2g.jpg

I feel like I look fatter then I am Because of loose skin around the midsection. When I first started lifting I was 300+lbs of fat outta highschool. So ..

rkzozk.png

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity