over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DHEA Supplements

Sassy

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have recently been dealing with hormone issues. It never ceases to amaze me what an important roll hormones play in both our body functions and mental state. Let me just add that I am at an age where HRT is now mandatory. :eek:

My recent visit to the doctor he said that my DHEA levels were extremely low. This was no surprise my ovaries were removed years ago and I've been on hormones ever since. I was not familiar with DHEA. This was something I had not done much research on, so I decided to check it. I like to know what I'm putting in my body before I start taking anything. He wants me to start taking DHEA supplements 50 mgs per day.

**broken link removed**
from the MayoClinic.com

DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is an endogenous hormone (made in the human body), and secreted by the adrenal gland. DHEA serves as precursor to male and female sex hormones (androgens and estrogens). DHEA levels in the body begin to decrease after age 30, and are reported to be low in some people with anorexia, end-stage kidney disease, type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent diabetes), AIDS, adrenal insufficiency, and in the critically ill. DHEA levels may also be depleted by a number of drugs, including insulin, corticosteroids, opiates, and danazol.

There is sufficient evidence supporting the use of DHEA in the treatment of adrenal insufficiency, depression, induction of labor, and systemic lupus erythematosus.

No studies on the long-term effects of DHEA have been conducted. DHEA can cause higher than normal levels of androgens and estrogens in the body, and theoretically may increase the risk of prostate, breast, ovarian, and other hormone-sensitive cancers. Therefore, it is not recommended for regular use without supervision by a licensed health professional.

Dosing
DHEA is available as capsules, tablets and injections. Commonly used doses range from 25-200 milligrams daily. Higher doses of 200-500 milligrams per day have been studied for depression in HIV/AIDS. Daily use of DHEA has been studied up to one year in the available scientific studies.

Topical (on the skin) and intravenous injections (into the veins) have also been studied, but safety and effectiveness has not been proven. A 5-10% cream containing DHEA has been used up to four weeks.

More info on DHEA

After doing more searching, there is no significant research to DHEA supplements contributing to bodybuilding, muscle growth or weight loss. However, as we get older DHEA levels can decrease by 90%. It peaks at the age of 20. For younger people there no benefits to taking it; however there is studies that show benefits for older individuals especially in overall sense of well being.

For further information on DHEA DHEA Supplement Information
This site wouldn't let me cut-n-paste so here is the link.

Sassy,

How did you get on with using DHEA? I have used it with a number of menopausal women to great effect in terms of improved well being and ability to lose body fat, especially around the midsection.

I think it was helping, but my whole training and diet routine has been de-railed lately with other things. I've starting training regularly again, so I need to add my supps back in. That's another thing I let slip too. :eek:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear