over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

diet: calories vs macros

mpiller

Registered
Just a quick question I couldn't really find an answer too, say if you set a calorie and macro goal for each day and you're trying to burn fat, is it more important to reach your macro goal or stop after meeting your caloric goals? At the moment I've been following the lean gains style of intermittent fasting, but many times I reach my caloric goal before reaching my macro goals so I just stop there. Strength is most important to me so I'll eat more if I begin to lose strength, but it hasn't been long enough to tell yet. But as far as burning fat, is it more important to go over your calorie goal to reach your macros, or stop once you get to your caloric goal?
Thanks

You're what you eat.
You need to burn more than you consume but what you consume has to fuel your body.
The body requires micro nutrients, don't feed it with nutrient lacking calories.

That makes sense, what I kinda thought on the days that I met my caloric goal before my macro goals was that I could've eaten better food, but I'm still pretty healthy foods. No soft drinks and no fast food/processed food. The other thing I meant to ask was that, before beginning the diet I was probably eating between 3000-4000 calories per day and not gaining fat, but my strength has been increasing as wanted. So would a safe way of figuring out your bmr be to log everything you eat, eating as much as you want that you think you can maintain weight at, with calories and macros each day, and weigh yourself each morning then average it after a week or two to get your bmr? Im thinking my bmr might be closer to 2500-3000 calories

Personally I find it easier to count macros even if there are incidental calories in your food sources.

That makes sense, what I kinda thought on the days that I met my caloric goal before my macro goals was that I could've eaten better food, but I'm still pretty healthy foods. No soft drinks and no fast food/processed food. The other thing I meant to ask was that, before beginning the diet I was probably eating between 3000-4000 calories per day and not gaining fat, but my strength has been increasing as wanted. So would a safe way of figuring out your bmr be to log everything you eat, eating as much as you want that you think you can maintain weight at, with calories and macros each day, and weigh yourself each morning then average it after a week or two to get your bmr? Im thinking my bmr might be closer to 2500-3000 calories

you're over complicating it :eek:

just take some carbs/fats out if youre not getting leaner and add some in if you think youre losing muscle or strength.....

Both are equally as important. If your eating and weighing everything out like you should, your cals should not be way over or way less then what you have on paper for your macros and calorie intake. I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Last edited:
Thats what I meant, sometimes I reach my caloric goal before reaching my macro goals. I'm not trying to make it too complicated, just goin day by day. I tend to get tired of things quickly so I don't like to eat the same thing day in and day out. I'm about 14-16% bf now and definitely leaning out so we'll see how it goes, shooting to get to 10% bf while keeping my strength the same.
Thanks guys

Both are equally as important. If your eating and weighing everything out like you should, your cals should not be way over or way less then what you have on paper for your macros and calorie intake. I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Agreed.

Also, I would prefer going a little over my kcals to ensure my macros were met. For example, with foods like oatmeal that have some protein in them, I don't bother counting the protein from the oats I just use it as a carb source and I portion accordingly and I don't count carbs from things like PB since they make up an insignificant portion of the kcals. I find it easier to adjust things based on macros than total kcals and have been making solid progress using this approach...

Personally I find it easier to count macros even if there are incidental calories in your food sources.

Yes but personally speaking if I need 5000 cals and have 80g fat and 500carbs I maintain

But if I eat 120fats 300carbs I can maintain on 4750 cals

So more fat allows less calories less bloat from carbs

How can you overshoot your calories but not get in your macro's? That's impossible by definition, unless you eat something else then you planned. Why not stop doing that.

Well for example yesterday was a rest day, my goal was 1300 calories, 210g protein, 60g carbs, 55g fats, but what I reached was 1500 calories, 60g of protein, 156g carbs, and 77g fats. So I'm guessing the extra calories were from the extra fats

For my clients and for my self I count all macros.
I even count fiber but only as half carbs as they only contain half as many calories so 10 grams of fiber is counted as 5 grams of carbohydrate (not including insoluble obviously).
Oats I count protein and fat and so on.

Just a quick question I couldn't really find an answer too, say if you set a calorie and macro goal for each day and you're trying to burn fat, is it more important to reach your macro goal or stop after meeting your caloric goals? At the moment I've been following the lean gains style of intermittent fasting, but many times I reach my caloric goal before reaching my macro goals so I just stop there. Strength is most important to me so I'll eat more if I begin to lose strength, but it hasn't been long enough to tell yet. But as far as burning fat, is it more important to go over your calorie goal to reach your macros, or stop once you get to your caloric goal?
Thanks

In either case both need to be based on something sound and fundamental. They just can't be numbers your're trying to meet. If you need a certain weight of macro (protein grams) on a daily basis, then there must an absolution to it and if that's the case then satisfying your macro is going to be more important than trying to meet some obituary caloric intake figure.

If you are overshooting your macros by that much (60g of protein instead of 210g) then you seriously need to make an effort at better food discussions that's all lol.

I would think most people here would count macros just because they must be somewhat interested in eating protein if they post here and workout.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131