over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Diet Help: Keto vs. Low Carb and Carb Timing

fstr03svtcobra

Registered
Hey guys. I'm looking to lean out a little bit in the next 30 days and trying to figure out my diet. I'm 5'9 205-210 and currently at a true 9%. I have 6 abs showing, but want to get very lean because it seems that once I get down to a certain body fat I usually stay there. I will be using only "natural" supplements.

I started a keto diet (think carb nite style) last week and got so constipated that I had to stop. This is strange because I have had good success with keto diets before, but I don't want this to happen again so I'm thinking of doing a very low carb diet (100 g below including trace carbs) instead. I'm very carb sensitive, so for me going keto is the best way to lose fat.

My diet will be the typical 5-6 meals per day with fats and protein only except for 2/3 meals around (before, during, and after) my workout. On non workout days, I will go keto. And I don't count calories. From my experience, nutrient timing has always been far more beneficial to me than counting calories.

So my questions concern how to make the non keto but low carb diet work. I can't decide where I want to place the carbs. I train at night.

1st Question: Should I put my carbs during and after my workout or before and during my workout? I'm leaning toward the former.

2nd Question: The only supplements I'm using for fat loss are an ECA stack and yohimbine. Is there anything else that would be beneficial aside from clen, t3, or dnp?

3rd Question: Do you think that using berberine or metformin with my carbs will essentially make up for the fact that I'm not going completely keto? Berberine has been very powerful for me in the past, but I've never used it on a cut.

Last Question: How often should I employ a cheat meal? I was leaning toward once a week.

Thanks guys and sorry for the book.

if you train at night i would still keep all the carbs around the workout period

Hey fstr I been carb cycling its no carbs Mon, Tues, Wed then low carbs Thurs, Fri then moderate on Sat and Sun I cant stay on no or low to long I get to run down it really helps keep the water off. There is lots of info on the net about carb cycling just Google it.

Hey fstr I been carb cycling its no carbs Mon, Tues, Wed then low carbs Thurs, Fri then moderate on Sat and Sun I cant stay on no or low to long I get to run down it really helps keep the water off. There is lots of info on the net about carb cycling just Google it.

Thanks man. Hope you have been doing well. I do get really run down too, so I like that idea. I may tailor it based on when I train as opposed to certain days of the week, but I'm probably going to stick to that general format.

Ya actually my HRT doc suggested that diet for this friggin parkinsons I have and to my amazement it really helps! gonna start acupuncture next month but thats kinda off the subject.
Apparently some guys go moderate carbs on workout days and zero carbs on off days with success and yes a cheat meal once per week is ok.
Im down to 230 and quite vascular body phat about 11% thats down from 250 at about 18% BF cant atribute it all to the diet though been doin GH black tops they along with the diet really keep the water off.

For the constipation try magnesium 200mg three times a day. You will be surprised how often you shit lol. I would do full keto but if u wanna use thé carbs dl pre and during so you can use them up during the workout and get back to ketosis faster. Ala helps with controlling insulin

I have tried all three. Seems that carb cycling works the best for me. I tend to hold more fullness in muscle while in a carb cycling protocol.

Ya actually my HRT doc suggested that diet for this friggin parkinsons I have and to my amazement it really helps! gonna start acupuncture next month but thats kinda off the subject.
Apparently some guys go moderate carbs on workout days and zero carbs on off days with success and yes a cheat meal once per week is ok.
Im down to 230 and quite vascular body phat about 11% thats down from 250 at about 18% BF cant atribute it all to the diet though been doin GH black tops they along with the diet really keep the water off.

That's awesome progress on the bf brother. Do you know why the low carb helps with parkinsons?

For the constipation try magnesium 200mg three times a day. You will be surprised how often you shit lol. I would do full keto but if u wanna use thé carbs dl pre and during so you can use them up during the workout and get back to ketosis faster. Ala helps with controlling insulin

Yeah I picked some up a couple days ago and it seems to be helping. Thanks. I'm thinking that once my stomach gets back to normal, I'll use 400mg at night year round.

I do not know or understand but apparently a low carb diet is helping a lot of people with PK, alzheimers, dymentia ect...
Here is what I eat on no carb days Mon, Yues, Wed and sometimes Thurs

5am 2 hard boiled eggs 1 cup blk coffee

7am some chikken breast with real mayo and a diet pepsi

9am small piece of cheddar cheese 1 cup blk coffee

11am same as 7 but I add 5 green olives

1:30pm sardines

4:30pm 5 fried eggs with bakkon and coffee

8pm chikken breast mayo 5 olives

Its easy to maintain this scheduld cause Im at work Mon thr Fri of course

im actually doing a full keto...low carb intake sun-fri around 10-15 g per day (some days more some days less) then friday night i start adding carbs. i carb load until midnight sat, then do an 8 hour (plus the normal fasting while sleeping) fast sunday. around 4-5pm sunday i start eating in the keto style again. i make sure to do at leat 45 min of cardio sunday, and usually by monday night im in pretty high ketosis. im no expert, and maybe my methods are far from perfect, but it has been working great for me.
as far as things ive been using to help, magnesium oil (magnesium in general) has been said to aid in weight loss..so ive been using mag oil for a few months now. curcumin is very well known for its weight loss effects, and from all the reading i have done on it, it seems that it brings on this effect by way of reducing inflammation, but also by reversing insulin resistance. i take my turmeric with bioperine and olive oil. i have definitely noticed that after i introduced turmeric to my supplement regimen, i get into ketosis aprox 2 days faster. i know this is not some sort of placebo effect, because i went 2 weeks with out using turmeric at all to see what would happen...and i ended up getting into full ketosis on around wed-thurs. once i introduced turmeric again, it went back to mon-tues. also not that it has anything to do specifically to do with fat loss, but i also started using spirullina, and i can honestly say my energy levels are better than ever before, or at least better than they have been in a very long while. not stimulant energy, but more if better sense of well being type of energy.
i have also read a few times that MCT helps get you faster into ketosis, how true that is im not sure, i use coconut oil any way to cook with..but i cant honestly say if it has helped in that regard. and and yes...constipation is a major side effect of low carbing, and trust me it only gets worse. so adding the mag oil, and fiber powder has truly been a godsend. hope this helps a bit bro.

I do not know or understand but apparently a low carb diet is helping a lot of people with PK, alzheimers, dymentia ect...
Here is what I eat on no carb days Mon, Yues, Wed and sometimes Thurs

5am 2 hard boiled eggs 1 cup blk coffee

7am some chikken breast with real mayo and a diet pepsi

9am small piece of cheddar cheese 1 cup blk coffee

11am same as 7 but I add 5 green olives

1:30pm sardines

4:30pm 5 fried eggs with bakkon and coffee

8pm chikken breast mayo 5 olives

Its easy to maintain this scheduld cause Im at work Mon thr Fri of course

Thanks for posting up the diet brutha. Are you hungry on this diet? Mine is similar on the keto days. I do a lot of bacon and eggs and the coffee of course... got to have coffee.

im actually doing a full keto...low carb intake sun-fri around 10-15 g per day (some days more some days less) then friday night i start adding carbs. i carb load until midnight sat, then do an 8 hour (plus the normal fasting while sleeping) fast sunday. around 4-5pm sunday i start eating in the keto style again. i make sure to do at leat 45 min of cardio sunday, and usually by monday night im in pretty high ketosis. im no expert, and maybe my methods are far from perfect, but it has been working great for me.
as far as things ive been using to help, magnesium oil (magnesium in general) has been said to aid in weight loss..so ive been using mag oil for a few months now. curcumin is very well known for its weight loss effects, and from all the reading i have done on it, it seems that it brings on this effect by way of reducing inflammation, but also by reversing insulin resistance. i take my turmeric with bioperine and olive oil. i have definitely noticed that after i introduced turmeric to my supplement regimen, i get into ketosis aprox 2 days faster. i know this is not some sort of placebo effect, because i went 2 weeks with out using turmeric at all to see what would happen...and i ended up getting into full ketosis on around wed-thurs. once i introduced turmeric again, it went back to mon-tues. also not that it has anything to do specifically to do with fat loss, but i also started using spirullina, and i can honestly say my energy levels are better than ever before, or at least better than they have been in a very long while. not stimulant energy, but more if better sense of well being type of energy.
i have also read a few times that MCT helps get you faster into ketosis, how true that is im not sure, i use coconut oil any way to cook with..but i cant honestly say if it has helped in that regard. and and yes...constipation is a major side effect of low carbing, and trust me it only gets worse. so adding the mag oil, and fiber powder has truly been a godsend. hope this helps a bit bro.
Thanks so much for the lengthy reply man!

How can you "tell" that you are in ketosis? Like IK you are after a couple days of no carbing, but you mentioned that you knew you were in keto two days faster than without the supp you mentioned?

Also, what is MCT?

And yeah dude constipation sucks! I'm scared of it now LOL.

From my experience, nutrient timing has always been far more beneficial to me than counting calories.

It's also the same in my experience as well.

As far as the timing of the carb for losing fat, I have noticed that it's best to NOT eat any carb for the meal after my workout (before bed). Just meat and vegies. I don't do any cardio at all, and eating like that would reduce the fat and water off of my waistline within 2 weeks.

I used to do that in addition to low carb before my workout, but I got too exhausted and felt weak in the gym, that I stopped doing that and just stayed with the low or no carb after workout.

Also, you might know this already, but I thought I mention it: certain sources of carb are really bad, such as white rice. I would get bloated very quickly when I'm on it.

Cheers.

FSTR thats what I like most about this diet you dont get hungry!

Ya Buttman any rice makes me hold water badly I seldom eat it any more
I will have grits or oatmeal with my eggs on Thurs and Fridays

Capin, sometimes it's so hard to not eat white rice, because chicken tastes so good with it :D.

Yeah I agree buttman. I may just eat carbs pre workout if I'm feeling run down and if not, I won't.

I hope I'm not hungry because I'm usually starving all the time. I seriously wish I didn't have an appetite. I never have a problem adding mass, but dieting is such a pain.

Capin, I do the grits and oats a lot too. It's funny that we eat pretty similarly.
Also, where you have the coffee, I'm thinking of adding in some yohimbine hcl @ 18mg ed spread over 2-3 doses.

To everyone, let me add, if you haven't ever tried berberine hcl, you are missing out. It's awesome. Research it.

Last edited:
If you guys like olives as much as I do these are really good 1g of carbs per 5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 1,154
Yeah I agree buttman. I may just eat carbs pre workout if I'm feeling run down and if not, I won't.

I hope I'm not hungry because I'm usually starving all the time. I seriously wish I didn't have an appetite. I never have a problem adding mass, but dieting is such a pain.

Capin, I do the grits and oats a lot too. It's funny that we eat pretty similarly.
Also, where you have the coffee, I'm thinking of adding in some yohimbine hcl @ 18mg ed spread over 2-3 doses.

To everyone, let me add, if you haven't ever tried berberine hcl, you are missing out. It's awesome. Research it.

Go on about this berberine hcl

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear