over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

diet help

mpiller

Registered
Ok I don't post here too much anymore because I am too busy and just read most of it. But I am trying to cut down, I have never had a problem building muscle and getting bigger and Ive always played sports so that helped, but until recently I had really probably never been below 15% bf and I never really cared, but I want to get cut and seem to have plateaued.

At the moment I am somewhat following intermittent fasting and taking in about 1800 calories daily, usually I shoot for 180g of protein and then I just keep carbs to a minimal. Sometimes more than 1800, sometimes less. I am 5'11 and at the moment around 195, and I'd say 12-13% bf. I work as a handyman and mostly outside so I do labor 8 hours a day, plus workout 5 days a week. I am guessing my daily caloric need should be around 3000 per day if not more, but I am definitely not losing fat that fast.

So heres my question, do I just need to be more strict about it and eat the same exact thing every day? Should I disregard the intermittent fasting? I could eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and one meal before bed, but I couldn't fit in 6. Should I shoot for an exact macro ratio each day? I am all natural and would prefer to stay that way for now also. Also, I don't eat simple carbs, but I do eat fruit and usually every day, could this be causing the problem?

Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Have you consider hiring a trainer to educate you?

Yes I'd really like to hire shelby, but I am still in school so most of my money goes towards that. And yes I do cardio already, usually about 4 times a week for around 30-45 minutes while being in a fasted state.

I'm thinking of trying a cyclical keto diet or possibly a variation on paleo/mountaindog's diet. Also just started taking green tea extract so thinking that should help a little. Just looking for peoples opinions on what they do when they hit a plateau I guess.

Thanks guys

That's a big deficit, you should be losing.
Are you accurate with tracking everything you put in your mouth?
How Long have you been stalled? How long have you been on 1800 cals?

Maybe try having a refeed day and see if that kick starts things

usually every saturday I tend to have somewhat of a refeed but I count it all and its usually right at 3000 calories or so. And that is the only day of the week that I'll ever eat any kind of simple carb unless you consider fruit to be a simple sugar. But I am also usually out doing something physical so I know I should be burning that at least. I've probably been stalled for about a week now. First couple weeks went great, definitely lost about 2lbs per week and the abs really began to come in but now its just that last bit before the six pack that I've spent about the past two weeks working at and havent had much change.

I'm considering stopping the intermittent fasting, I'm back and forth on it because I feel like its good when I'm working because I'm fasted for usually 4-5 hours and it seems like I should be burning pretty much just fat for energy, but then I wonder if by eating so much in 6 hours or so that alot is just getting stored as fat, if this makes sense?

So maybe if I split up my meals less will be stored as fat and I'll burn more all day, instead of having 16 hours of burning fat then 8 hours of storing fat.
Ha Idk if any of that made sense but hopefully it does.

Oh and I have read the thread on intermittent fasting and it does have some good info.

Lastly, I want to know what you all think about this plan. I'll bump up to about 2000 calories per day, start the day off with 30 minutes fasted cardio followed by breakfast of just protein and fats(something like an omelet) then a small lunch again of only protein and fats (maybe a turkey wrap, this would be around noon). Then around 3:00 pm have a preworkout meal with a good complex carb and post workout I'll have a similar meal, then before bed I'll have one more meal comprised of mainly protein and fats.

I feel like that would give me the energy and fuel for workouts along with a good recovery meal, but let me burn fat the rest of the day.

Again thanks for all the opinions

Tell me exactly what you eat during those four meals.

Also, how old are you? Metabolism slows down with aging.

I'm 20 so that shouldn't be it...

Ha on a typical day I wake up around 630, work from 7-2 or 3 then I'll go home and depending on how tough my day was I'll eat then go workout or workout then eat, sometimes adding cardio in too. But if I eat before my workout I'll usually eat about 4 free range organic eggs pre workout and if I'm really drained I'll make a smoothie with greek yogurt, frozen fruit and water. Post workout I'll have a protein shake, then I'll usually cook up some flank steak or fish (either salmon or tilapia) along with some asparugus or broccoli for dinner and maybe sauté some onions and mushrooms with it. As far as carbs if I know I'll need energy the next day I'll bake a potato, sometimes a sweet potato but I dont care for them much, or I'll eat brown rice. Then before bed I'll eat some turkey wraps or again if I need carbs I'll have a sandwhich with ezekiel bread or whole wheat bread and turkey, ham, pastrami, and a little salami.

Thats a typical day, which was working well for a while.
Thanks again

Actually here are couple days that I logged with exact macros and such. I usually log every day for the most part but sometimes I do it on paper and sometimes in excel if I have my laptop near by.

5/31/13 calories fat carbs protein
smoothie 245 0 48 13
manwhich 600 26 46 63
2 rice cakes 70 0 14 2
salad 270 19 5 18
apple 80 0 25 0
protein smoothie 400 0 35 62
Totals 1665 45 173 158

6/1/13 calories fats carbs protein
smoothie 245 0 48 13
manwhich 600 26 46 63
apple 80 0 25 0