over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Diet Help

Tiffany

Newbies
I am relatively new with lifting weights and building muscle. After two kids my goal had always been to get skinny or as my boyfriend likes to call it "skinny fat". About 6 months ago he introduced me to lifting weights to build a more healthy, muscular figure. I feel like I've recently hit a plateau with my training. I had been training almost every day (maybe one rest day) focusing on one muscle group a day. Chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I've recently switched to a workout plan that requires one rest day in between. Since I'm unable to split my day, cardio in the am and weights in the pm, I do my cardio on the rest day and then take one day off completely a week. My goal is obviously to build muscle but I also need to get rid of that little layer of fat covering what I have already worked hard to build especially in that lower ab area. I like to thank my two kids for that. So, because I am not lifting everyday should I be lowering my carb and protein intake for that day? Or because I'm doing cardio do I still need the fuel?

This is what I just started doing and I don't know if I'm on the right track for my goals:

Workout Day: I take in around 1,635 calories, 200g of protein, 85g of carbs, 55g of fat. The majority of carbs I take in around gym time.

Rest Day/Cardio Day: 1,340 calories, 165g protein, 40g carbs, 60g fat.

Higher Carb Day/Workout Day (So my metabolism doesn't slow down due to low carb intake): 2,130 calories, 185g protein, 280g carbs, 30g fat

Then I do the rest day menu again and so on and so on.

Because my ultimate goal is to build muscle I want to make sure I'm taking in enough so as not to loose muscle but build it. Right now I am about 135lbs and 5'7...if that helps at all. I don't know my body fat % but I can get that.

Thanks for the help!

Hello Tiffany! Welcome to PM!
I am relatively new with lifting weights and building muscle. After two kids my goal had always been to get skinny or as my boyfriend likes to call it "skinny fat". About 6 months ago he introduced me to lifting weights to build a more healthy, muscular figure. I feel like I've recently hit a plateau with my training. I had been training almost every day (maybe one rest day) focusing on one muscle group a day. Chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I've recently switched to a workout plan that requires one rest day in between. Since I'm unable to split my day, cardio in the am and weights in the pm, I do my cardio on the rest day and then take one day off completely a week. My goal is obviously to build muscle but I also need to get rid of that little layer of fat covering what I have already worked hard to build especially in that lower ab area. I like to thank my two kids for that. So, because I am not lifting everyday should I be lowering my carb and protein intake for that day? Or because I'm doing cardio do I still need the fuel?

For me personally I would take more time off. One day off a week is just not enough recovery time. I would say if you were in contest prep then cardio days would be fine since you have a very specific goal in mind. Maybe put in some cardio in after your weightlifting and then take whole days off.

This is what I just started doing and I don't know if I'm on the right track for my goals:

Workout Day: I take in around 1,635 calories, 200g of protein, 85g of carbs, 55g of fat. The majority of carbs I take in around gym time.

Rest Day/Cardio Day: 1,340 calories, 165g protein, 40g carbs, 60g fat.

Higher Carb Day/Workout Day (So my metabolism doesn't slow down due to low carb intake): 2,130 calories, 185g protein, 280g carbs, 30g fat

Then I do the rest day menu again and so on and so on.

Because my ultimate goal is to build muscle I want to make sure I'm taking in enough so as not to loose muscle but build it. Right now I am about 135lbs and 5'7...if that helps at all. I don't know my body fat % but I can get that.

Thanks for the help!

Looks like you have a plan and I would do it and see what happens. As far as the majority of your carbs around you gym time, why don't you scatter some though out the day. I would keep a journal of you eats and training and maybe take some progress pictures. Track your progress: how food makes you feel in the gym? do you feel stronger? do you "look" better?

Good luck Tiffany! :)

Hi Tiffany,
I think your diet could use a tweak try this. 1600cals per day, rest day and training day. Do not complicate this. go 160gms carbs and protein and then 30 gms of good fats. Your training schedule looks ok but I might go with Lynx's suggestion about more rest. if the fat loss is a lttle slow then cut cals by 200 and rework the macro nutrients. so it would then be 140 gms carbs and proteins and still 30 gms fats.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thank you so much for the responses. I'll try the extra rest days as suggested. We'll see how far I can get with those tweaks!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws