over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Difference between protein in Dairy vs. Meats

bdp

Registered
I know the protein in soy is not a complete protein. But is there a difference between the protein in dairy ie. yogurt, milk, cottage cheese vs. the protein in chicken, steak, fish? Does your body absorb them differently? Are the effects on the body virtually the same? I hope someone can help shed some light. Thanks -J

Just do a google search on the bioavailabity of protein. You'll find all ya need.

Here is what I found, what do you guys think?

the rate and efficiency of protein utilization within the body is dependent first on mechanical (chewing food thoroughly before swallowing) and chemical digestion (proper concentration of GI digestive enzymes) and the BV (Biological Value) or NPU (Net Protein Utilization) value of the specific protein.

The BV and NPU of a protein basically refer to the degree to which the nitrogenous portion of the protein is absorbed and utilized by the body. Typically all animal derived proteins will yield a higher BV or NPU whereas the vegetable and plant proteins have lower yield.

Although you will likely find varying BV and NPU values from different sources they are all within close approximations of each other.

The following sources provided although not exact in values do maintain the same order of efficiency.

Biological value (BV) is by far the most common measure used to gauge protein quality, but not always the best. BV is a score from 0 to 100 (rarely above 100) currently based on whey protein concentrate being 100, however, some manufactures use the older scale based on whole egg being 100 to make their products look better. This value technically measures the nitrogen retained and absorbed by the body, in more simple terms the higher the score, the more protein used by the body.

This measurement does not take into account the digestibility of the protein, so much of a high BV protein might not be digested, but what is absorbed is used well.

(see attatchment)

Finally, as far as your question about building muscle; although the quality of protein in the diet is of essential importance, your training applications (proper biomechanics, full range contractions and anatomical focal points) are equally if not more important. Remember, if the muscles are not trained to a level requiring adaptation; the quality of dietary protein becomes of little importance.

Attachments

• ShowLetter.gif
    ShowLetter.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 341
their are conflicting studies....

some say whey, some say fish, some say egg whites, I have also heard of a potassium casinate that is the most biological available. I throw all in, my fav is good ol red meat, cannot beat red meat in nutrient content, yes higher in sat fat and cholesterol but it sticks to ur ribs so to speak.
gooey

BEEF GLAND PROTEIN is SUPERIOR!

BEEF GLAND amino acids are in the proportions, that our glands need for maximum growth and function. It is far superior to plain beef protein and has a superior BIOLOGICAL VALUE.

Ask Arnold what he used 35 years ago to get the lean hard look decades before anyone else. And there was absolutely no need to take more then ONE GRAM PROTEIN PER POUND OF BODYWEIGHT

These 400-500 gram pushers are getting more amino acid nitrogens, then the kidneys can process over a period of time. Hence, kidney failures are not uncommon. Just LOOK at the list of the fallen!

:)

Last edited:
Hey meathead

msclonly said:
BEEF GLAND amino acids are in the proportions, that our glands need for maximum growth and function. It is far superior to plain beef protein and has a superior BIOLOGICAL VALUE.

Ask Arnold what he used 35 years ago to get the lean hard look decades before anyone else. And there was absolutely no need to take more then ONE GRAM PROTEIN PER POUND OF BODYWEIGHT

These 400-500 gram pushers are getting more amino acid nitrogens, then the kidneys can process over a period of time. Hence, kidney failures are not uncommon. Just LOOK at the list of the fallen!

:(
The kidney failure in these guys is either genetic or from high blood pressure. Site a legitimate source if you have one on high protein intakes causing kidney failure and do not use prevention magazine.

I agree phil

PHIL HERNON said:
The kidney failure in these guys is either genetic or from high blood pressure. Site a legitimate source if you have one on high protein intakes causing kidney failure and do not use prevention magazine.

is their a conclusive study that shows higher protein intake causes too much kidney stress and causes BBer and other athletes to die. I agree that is was the conjunction of high blood pressure, diuretic use, and periods of time of dehydration that is the cause of kidney failure, and others had genetic defects also. The only reason in my mind not to eat 600 + grams of protein a day is for the fact ud be pissing it out and wasting $.
gooey

True, Phil!

Kidney failure is VERY RARELY (as in almost never) the result of excess protein intakes. Excess protein intakes result in excess filtration, but this has only been shown to a problem (and then only in some studies, and not others) in rat model studies, not human. These are the comments from the nephrologists I've talked to about whether excess protein causes kidney problems.

If there is pre-existing kidney disease of some sort, then excess protein can cause stress due to excess filtration, but there are going to be problems with filtration of any number of things - glucose, sodium, chloride, etc, etc., as well.

There are cultures in the world such as the Inuit Indians of Alaska who's diets consist primarily of animal proteins and fats. Interestingly, they show lower incidences of the so-called diseases of civilization.

As to how many gms of protein a day to consume, several studies by Tarnoplowski (sp?) and other have compared the whole-body nitrogen balance effects of various ratios of protein gms/bodyweight in intensely-training weight lifters, and found that positive nitrogen balance is achieved better at intakes above 1 gm/pound. and as high as 2.5 gms/pound.

Arnold is the last person I'd ask about renal pathophysiology, nutrition, or any other biological science, as I don't believe he's studied medicine, physiology, pathophysiology, etc.

DANGEROUS FOODS!

Dangerous food

A doctor was addressing a large audience in Chicago. "The material
we put into our stomachs is enough to kill most of us sitting here.

Red meat is awful. Soft drinks corrode your stomach lining. Chinese
food is loaded with MSG. High fat diets can be disastrous, and none of
us realizes the long term harm caused by germs in our drinking water.

But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and most of
us will
eat it or have already eaten it.

Can anyone here tell me what food causes the most grief and suffering
for years after eating it?"

After several seconds of quiet, a 75 year old gentleman sitting in
the front row raised his hand and softly said "wedding cake."

:D

my advice

stop eating and drinking that solves all problems

High Blood Pressure and Excess Protein!

Those monster amounts of steak will certainly go a long way in promoting elevated Blood Pressure along with the excessive Uric Acid with the possibility of Uric Acid crystals forming!

Ouch! :(

Do some homework

Large amounts of steak, in and of themselves, do nothing to elevate blood pressure.

Uric acid cystals form when there is pre-existing kidneys disease, oe in those individaula genetically predisposed to this condition, which is gouty tophus.

You make (incorrect) pronouncements without citing sources, or seeming to have much knowledge of renal physiology and pathophysiology.

Really! Pronoucements !

When did anyone take anything, in and of themselves, as you repeatedly say?

Perhaps you have a drawer full of Lab tests on many young people showing that none of this happens, in and of themselves!

How ever right in this Subject several people have stated how sick large amounts of meat in the 400 grams range per day makes them feel!
Just perhaps the body is telling them something like to decrease the amount to a more 'comfortable' level.!

Succes comes from Experience
Experience comes from correcting mistakes!

Good thread up until the part about high protein diets and kidney problems.
I wouldn't even know where to start with this one.

Anyhoo intersting chart on bioavailability I have seen different ones that have egg whites as top and fish above some of the others.

Try Science

"Feel?" "Comfortable?" Very scientific.

In fact, as I pointed out in my first response to your pronouncements, there are a number of studies done on both rat and human subjects in regard to protein intakes and kidney function. Anecdotal experience, unless in numbers large enough to be considered statistically valid, is just that - anecdote, not evidence.

Whatever your "experience" is, it is apparently not with scientific research or studies.

Success comes from understanding, understanding comes from knowledge. Knowledge is what is gained through scientific, valid study, not "feel."

PHIL HERNON said:

hehe, are you telling me Prevention magazine is not a legitimate source for medical information? :eek:

awsome

Dad as usual on the money, great arguments, well supported.
gooey

Thank you, Gooey

Thank you, Gooey, and congratulations on your Featured Member appointment!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear