over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Different Tricep Exercise

rmtt

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Now this may be something a lot of you guys have already figured out....but I wanted to share it in case someone hasn't seen it done before.

I've tried it quite a few times since thinking of it....although I don't take credit for it as I'm sure someone else has already probably seen it done. I just had never seen it before.

So I always liked reverse triceps pushups....but it's always a hassle to get someone to load your lap with plates.

My gym has a Nautilus dip machine with separate handles on either side. You sit down in it, and do dips with a weight stack.

A few weeks ago I took a standard EZ-Curl bar that you would attach to a cable machine, and laid it across the handles of the dip machine. It fit across perfectly and since the dip machine has neoprene on the handles...there wasn't any slippage.

I then set the weight where I wanted it, lowered the seat all the way down, put my hands behind me on the inner curves of the ez-curl bar, pushed down....and then sit down.

It was exactly like a reverse triceps pushup but allowed me to use the weight I wanted. Plus with your arms behind you and the seat all the way down....the stretch on the negative portion of the exercise is intense.

Just by placing your hands in various positions, you can target different heads if the triceps....and the cambered bar takes any stress off if your wrists. The pumps are incredible...and I guarantee you will feel it the next day.

I will get a pic the next time I'm in to show what I'm talking about.

Again...it may be old news to a lot of you guys....but it was like a new toy to me!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I like the sound of this.. I do something similar with a straight pull down bar and a chest press machine for a nice close grip press.... Will try it

Just by placing your hands in various positions, you can target different heads if the triceps....

My elbows always start to bother me when doing tricep "pressing" exercises for more than a few weeks.

I've learned to feel out rope extensions similarly... Extend your hands down and outward and I feel it in the lateral head. Extend down and back (kinda bringing your hands in and towards the waist) and I feel it in the long head... Or whatever the head is that touches the back lol

My elbows always start to bother me when doing tricep "pressing" exercises for more than a few weeks.

I've learned to feel out rope extensions similarly... Extend your hands down and outward and I feel it in the lateral head. Extend down and back (kinda bringing your hands in and towards the waist) and I feel it in the long head... Or whatever the head is that touches the back lol

That's the medial head. The exercise I'm doing above really blasts that area....but it's in a similar plane of motion as what you are doing with the ropes....just in a pressdown vs. an extension.

We all have to find what works for our body mechanics without causing or aggravating injuries.

But that's the cool thing about doing this so long....you learn instinctively what works best for you!

That's the medial head. The exercise I'm doing above really blasts that area....but it's in a similar plane of motion as what you are doing with the ropes....just in a pressdown vs. an extension.

We all have to find what works for our body mechanics without causing or aggravating injuries.

But that's the cool thing about doing this so long....you learn instinctively what works best for you!

So the movement is basically a bench dip done on dip machine?

Exactly. We don't have anything in my gym to replicate a bench dip....and if I do them I have to ask someone to load plates on my lap.

I try not to bother people...but using that bar on the dip machine lets me get my hands really close together ...and the stack goes up to 250lbs.

Also thanks.....I couldn't remember the proper name of that exercise to save my life although I've done it tons throughout the year.

I'm very intrigued by this, I'm going to give it a try next time I hit triceps. If you could throw up a pic of your set up that would be awesome!

I'm very intrigued by this, I'm going to give it a try next time I hit triceps. If you could throw up a pic of your set up that would be awesome!
In actually doing them tomorrow...so I will get some pics up by tomorrow evening.

If I read that correctly it's what I do occasionally on an assisted pull up machine. I face away (sometimes I face forwards) with my arms behind me and push the leather pad down.

Here's another different triceps exercise to try, particularly for those with long arms - lying, standing, or seated skullcrushers on a Smith machine. The long heads of my triceps have made great progress with these over the last few months.

If I read that correctly it's what I do occasionally on an assisted pull up machine. I face away (sometimes I face forwards) with my arms behind me and push the leather pad down.
Same thing...different setup......so you been hogging all the good exercises! [emoji16]

We have an assisted pull up machine and I tried to make that work. But sometimes being vertically challenged...things don't feel quite the same. With our dip machine....laying the ez curl bar across it lets me get my hands really close together....and doesn't place my wrists in an awkward position.

Here's another different triceps exercise to try, particularly for those with long arms - lying, standing, or seated skullcrushers on a Smith machine. The long heads of my triceps have made great progress with these over the last few months.
I will have to try those. Right now I do them on a bench with the angle set at about 30 degrees. It allows me to get the bar farther back behind my head....and really stretch as much as I can.

Also another good one on a smith machine....JM Presses. You can really focus on hitting the triceps on the stretch as you mentioned...and then concentration on the positive is nice as you aren't trying to balance the bar.

Def gotta try this!! Add a pic or video for sure brother!

I have a hammer strength seated tri extension machine at my gym. You strap yourself in it and plate load it. It works great I also have a later preacher curl machine with the adjustable weight stacks. I go around to the front of it and turn it into s tri extension. Lots easier then lugging around all those heavy weights to do skull crushers etc

rmtt,

Good use of your imagination and creativity.

I believe this to be a great compound exercise and have often
wondered why nobody has ever made a commercial machine
like what you describe.

I love bench dips with the heels elevated, but like yourself, it
can be difficult to get in position and then have somebody load
your lap up with weights . . . and then unload you. Kind of a
thankless job (like negative only exercise). I also like (bench dips)
being able to apply all the force on the heels, not palms of your
hands. I think you can push harder, apply more force that way.

Glad you were able to improvise, make something work for
you. Please post of some fotos of the set-up and of you training
on it. Thanks.

My new gym has a seated tri-cep dip machine (plate loaded) which are always great and pretty much the same movement as you posted. The issue is when you go really heavy (6 plates a side) it's near on impossible to stay sat down. So you need to get someone to hold you down a bit and it's fine then. I can do 5 plates a side by myself for high reps but once I add weight it becomes very hard staying in place :eek::D

So let's see if this works. Keep in mind that these are probably 1st generation equipment by Nautilus. They are in the front room where I rarely go...but there are some hidden gems in there.

Pic 1 is the machine as it normally is, Pic 2 is the bar attachment I place on it.
Pic 3 is me demonstrating how I do it. It's rudimentary...but it allows me to add as much as 250lbs weight to it.

Oh....Elvia....it actually has a seatbelt on it so you can strap yourself in and stay held in place!

51x5PWM.jpg

FYZhCf3.jpg

GprQSsi.jpg

My new gym has a seated tri-cep dip machine (plate loaded) which are always great and pretty much the same movement as you posted. The issue is when you go really heavy (6 plates a side) it's near on impossible to stay sat down. So you need to get someone to hold you down a bit and it's fine then. I can do 5 plates a side by myself for high reps but once I add weight it becomes very hard staying in place :eek::D

I have the same issues. I now put a band going under the machine first on the poles where you load the plates. Constant tension and you wont be loading 5 plates anymore :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131