over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Digestive enzymes?

VNV

Registered
The other day I had a salad around 2 PM with a bunch of different veggies in it that I had never had before. Later that evening I got sick, and by 9 PM, threw up. When I did, I noticed that I hadn't digested most of the salad yet... from 7 hours earlier!

My buddy said I should really be taking a digestive enzyme if I was going to be eating so many different varieties of plants, and that I should be taking enzymes with every meal regardless, to help digest the meal.

That sounds like a good idea and all, but what about the thermic cost of digesting all that food? If I take a digestive enzyme, aren't I going to be emptying my stomach quicker, causing higher levels of blood glucose and burning less calories in the digestive process? As a bodybuilding, that's obviously something I would like to avoid.

Any thoughts on the matter, guys?

IMO any Bodybuilder that takes in upteen amounts of Protein should take Bromelian EVERY day. A good all around enzyme is a good idea too, esp. when bulking, all those calories need some help.

The other day I had a salad around 2 PM with a bunch of different veggies in it that I had never had before. Later that evening I got sick, and by 9 PM, threw up. When I did, I noticed that I hadn't digested most of the salad yet... from 7 hours earlier!

My buddy said I should really be taking a digestive enzyme if I was going to be eating so many different varieties of plants, and that I should be taking enzymes with every meal regardless, to help digest the meal.

That sounds like a good idea and all, but what about the thermic cost of digesting all that food? If I take a digestive enzyme, aren't I going to be emptying my stomach quicker, causing higher levels of blood glucose and burning less calories in the digestive process? As a bodybuilding, that's obviously something I would like to avoid.

Any thoughts on the matter, guys?

I used UDO's blend digestive enzymes for a while, it is suposed to help with the absorbtion of food. I also have digestive enzymes in my whey isolate protein, and it is the best I have used to date.

My auntie had cancer and chemo a while back and struggles with stomach issues inc indigestion I gave her my udo's enzymes and it helped her loads, she has made a full recovery since and now has no stomach problems. When I studied nutrition my teacher said that we should really eat enzymes with every meal for optimum absorbtion, I beleve he has a valid point too.

I am a firm believer in taking a digestive enzyme with every meal. Undigested food in the intestines will eventually cause toxic build up in the system. If you want to take full advantege of the foods that you are eating you need to completely digest them.

theDonker's suggestion on the Flora Udo's digestive enzyme is solid. Great product and a great company.

I also have digestive enzymes in my whey isolate protein, and it is the best I have used to date..
How do you judge the effectiveness or quality of a digestive enzyme in order to qualify it as the "best?"

How do you judge the effectiveness or quality of a digestive enzyme in order to qualify it as the "best?"

i mean the protein, I am currently using Reflex Micro whey and
multi-enzyme complex consisting mainly of protease and lipase . In addition to these, it also contains cellulase and lactase. The enzymes in this complex are of microbial origin (fungal amylase, lipase, lactase, cellulase; and a bacterial neutral protease). Oh and it has some pro biotics too, I just like the whey it seems to work best with me personally, i firmly beleive that because the whey is micro filtered and has added ezymes that it is very bioavailable, the best apart from probably LBA's which i will be getting next. It also has nearly no carbs and little fat, big bonus for me, I am always trying to stay lean, it's my vainity and that fact i was a fat kid !:)

just remember that only a hand-full of digestive enzymes can go through the stomach untouched....some digestive enzymes supplements get denatured in the stomach making it useless...bromelian is one that goes through the stomach untouched.

no contribution

Last edited:
ive been told by my doc, and my pharmacist that these days we drink to much luiqid when we eat and it doesnt alow our own enzyms in our salova do what it should with the digestion prosses.

I have heard this as well. They recommended drinking very little water with meals, as little as possible, but drinking a lot of water between meals.

my fav. digestive enzyme is made by now foods and is called super digestaway, make sure to get the veg cap ones... it cheap too! like 12 bucks for 180 caps

digest enzymes are very important, like dusty said if food is left undigested it will follow the digestive tract untill it reaches the colon, there, chances are it will get stuck and start to ferment, this causes something called auto-intixication. think about a piece of meat sitting outside at 100 degrees for a few days, what will happen? it will smell like shit! and start to ferment, this same process happens in the human body... a good portion of your water is stored in the colon, when the body is dehydrated it pulls water from the colon, if your food is sitting there fermenting you get to send all that nasty meat and fermention byproducts back into your system to circulate! not what you probably want.... this is also why it is important to use a good fiber supplament like psyllium husk or something to keep the pipes clean....

most of you guys only think about getting this food in your mouth, but that is only half the battle.. making sure you are reaping "all" the benifits from it is the other half....

On the advice of others, more experienced with digestive enzymes, I tried UDO's, and they are excellent, you can really feel the difference, I can eat more good food, and not feel full or bloated.

On the advice of others, more experienced with digestive enzymes, I tried UDO's, and they are excellent, you can really feel the difference, I can eat more good food, and not feel full or bloated.

i also notice the lesser bloated feeling.

I appreciate the feedback guys. Interesting. I can't say I have a problem digesting food normally, but since I've never taken enzymes, who knows--maybe I'd stay a little trimmer at mealtime from easier digestion.

My main concern with taking enzymes was the reduction in calories expended to break down the food. Easier digestion means more calories ultimately. That's one of the reasons, at least for me, why whole food is a preferable source over liquid meals. Maybe I'm being too nitpicky though.

I appreciate the feedback guys. Interesting. I can't say I have a problem digesting food normally, but since I've never taken enzymes, who knows--maybe I'd stay a little trimmer at mealtime from easier digestion.

My main concern with taking enzymes was the reduction in calories expended to break down the food. Easier digestion means more calories ultimately. That's one of the reasons, at least for me, why whole food is a preferable source over liquid meals. Maybe I'm being too nitpicky though.

yes you are right there would effectively be less calories burned but only a little I would guess(overall digestion accounts for around 8-10%i think off the top of my head) , anyhow if you have your dietary balance in check you should absorb more protein and everything else to your eaten calories should be more effective(in theory) effectively making what you eat more bioavailable, so you need less to eat less to supply the demand of the body.
Liquid meals have their pro's and con's too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity