over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dips...a weird thing happens.

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
When i do weighted dips my warm up is simple. BW for 10, 1 plate for 3, then its singles up to my work weight. However, i never count my frist 2 reps with my working weight. For some reason the first rep is usually about 25% ROM, the second about 50% ROM, the thrid rep is where i hit my stride and get the full ROM(80%). if i try to hit full ROM on the first 2 reps i cant complete a single rep. Once im on my 3rd rep which i count as #1 i can complete 10-12 full reps before failure. Ive experimented with different warm ups to try to correct this but i am stumped for an explaination as to why this occours. Using a mirror to check form i see no problem there. If anyone can help with an explaination i would greatly appreciate it. I suppose theres no real harm in this occourence but i would like to understand it.

It sounds like its just your body getting use to the weight... How are the sets after the first work set?

PERSONALLY IM A NEWBIE ON THE BOARD BUT I INCORPORATE DIPS INTO EVRYONE OF MY WORKOUT FOR CHEST.. I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE.. ITS LIKE MY MUSCLES HAVE TO GET PULLED TO A CERTAIN POINT TO GET A FULL ROM OR RELEASE OF TENSION TO PULL MORE WEIGHT FOR MORE REPS.. IM CURIOUS OF A SCIENTIFIC EXPLANANTION MYSELF IF THERE IS ONE.. :)

It sounds like its just your body getting use to the weight... How are the sets after the first work set?

Well right now im taking a little break from DC, my body is kind of beat up. After the first set the subsequent sets go from rep 1. like i said im sure this little nuance is no big deal, but if i dont understand something it buggs me until i figure it out...lol

I think it has to do with the start of the exercise.. Dips start with a concentric movement and require alot of stability (especially on your wrists).

When i do weighted dips my warm up is simple. BW for 10, 1 plate for 3, then its singles up to my work weight. However, i never count my frist 2 reps with my working weight. For some reason the first rep is usually about 25% ROM, the second about 50% ROM, the thrid rep is where i hit my stride and get the full ROM(80%). if i try to hit full ROM on the first 2 reps i cant complete a single rep. Once im on my 3rd rep which i count as #1 i can complete 10-12 full reps before failure. Ive experimented with different warm ups to try to correct this but i am stumped for an explaination as to why this occours. Using a mirror to check form i see no problem there. If anyone can help with an explaination i would greatly appreciate it. I suppose theres no real harm in this occourence but i would like to understand it.

This is called STAGGERED reps, and its important to do this. I do the same as you except I do a very simple warm up for form's sake and then I jump to 5 plates on my first workset....Phil Hernon style. You once said, "loading the spring." That's the idea, brother.

Well right now im taking a little break from DC, my body is kind of beat up. After the first set the subsequent sets go from rep 1. like i said im sure this little nuance is no big deal, but if i dont understand something it buggs me until i figure it out...lol

Just a thought but try some really slow deep push ups first not a lot of them but something to pull on your chest and tri's a bit... I know in my case many times ill be lifting and not feel my normal strength and ill do something a little different and i can just feel everything let go... You may have some issues that a foam roller may solve.. They have those hand rolllers that are great for your arms and chest..

Well

I have the same problem! I must use my feet to assist the first few, them I am GTG.............the problem is the rotator.......dips are actually bad for the shoulder cuff, so really watch that you DO NOT DO FULL ROM............but MY dips start with the eccentric movement first.

Just a thought but try some really slow deep push ups first not a lot of them but something to pull on your chest and tri's a bit... I know in my case many times ill be lifting and not feel my normal strength and ill do something a little different and i can just feel everything let go... You may have some issues that a foam roller may solve.. They have those hand rolllers that are great for your arms and chest..

To be honest the idea of feeling everything all of a sudden let go exactly describes what hapens.
I have the same problem! I must use my feet to assist the first few, them I am GTG.............the problem is the rotator.......dips are actually bad for the shoulder cuff, so really watch that you DO NOT DO FULL ROM............but MY dips start with the eccentric movement first.

I ALWAYS do 80% ROM, I can get into a good power groove in this range and my joints feel better. well everythign but the wrists but that kind of comes with the territory. on dips when i bottom out im not physically bottomed out. I stop before the spot where i know i get joint pain if i go deeper. usually takes the elbows alittle past 90% but not much.

P.S. i start at the top as well with the eccentric.

Last edited:
I have this same issue with both dips and squats. Especially with squats. My knees take time to warm up.

I have this same issue with both dips and squats. Especially with squats. My knees take time to warm up.

For squats i do 3 singles with the working weight before i go after it, that helps from rep 1. doesnt help with the dips though.

I have the same issue when going heavy.. usually happens at 4+ plates. If I start at the top, on the way down I get some odd pain in my elbow and shoulders, but if I do that slow or, like you said, half-reps, I am completely fine and strong after that first one or two. Seems strange but I'm sure has something to do with fiber recruitment.

thanks!

I'm glad you posted this T... same thing happens to me too and I was wondering if there was something "wrong" with me (well, more so than usual :))

It helps so that I don't try to force myself to complete that first or second rep with full ROM and potentially injuring myself. I too start at the beginning of the eccentric portion.

While the above part is unintentional, I may intentionally try this on my squats. I've noticed that while I am able to complete a full rep on my first working set, it's somewhat difficult, BUT, the rest of the following reps are OK.

I WONDER if it also means the muscle isn't fully warmed up/prepared though? I'm just speculating here... the golgi tendon reflex causes the muscle to relax to protect it under heavy loads... I wonder if the muscle isn't properly warmed up (or maybe even still "too pumped/tight" from a previous exercise) this reflex is trying to kick-in and there's a "battle" between the autonomic part of our nervous system trying to shut down and our conscious trying to contract the muscle.... or, I'm just way off base hahaha :)

it happens to me as well . I always thought its a Pavlovian response , muscle recruitment as a habit happens only after part movement.

I think so

I'm glad you posted this T... same thing happens to me too and I was wondering if there was something "wrong" with me (well, more so than usual :))

It helps so that I don't try to force myself to complete that first or second rep with full ROM and potentially injuring myself. I too start at the beginning of the eccentric portion.

While the above part is unintentional, I may intentionally try this on my squats. I've noticed that while I am able to complete a full rep on my first working set, it's somewhat difficult, BUT, the rest of the following reps are OK.

I WONDER if it also means the muscle isn't fully warmed up/prepared though? I'm just speculating here... the golgi tendon reflex causes the muscle to relax to protect it under heavy loads... I wonder if the muscle isn't properly warmed up (or maybe even still "too pumped/tight" from a previous exercise) this reflex is trying to kick-in and there's a "battle" between the autonomic part of our nervous system trying to shut down and our conscious trying to contract the muscle.... or, I'm just way off base hahaha :)

On me heavy set, I go down progressively deeper each rep....try that, its awesome. My first rep may be 1/8, then 1/4, then 1/3...etc

Good deal

On me heavy set, I go down progressively deeper each rep....try that, its awesome. My first rep may be 1/8, then 1/4, then 1/3...etc

Will try that... thanks.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner