over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

dips for chest and triceps

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Im guessing im not the only one that will be doing alot of dips with gyms closed. I noticed just about every playground has a piece of apparatus that you can do dips on, im lucky the one near me is very good for dips.

Do you guys consider these more of a tricep or chest exercise>/. My routine I do not work tri and chest in the same day just due to how I divide things up. I have heard in the past you lean forward to hit chest more, and stay more upright to hit triceps more, is this true?

Also, the dip stations at gyms are usually elevated so you can hang a weight from a chain or belt, playgrounds this is not the case. So there is no room. I guess maybe a backpack would work? Do you think it would be better to wear it in the front while you dip, or the way it is designed on your back? I guess an alternative would be to put chains around your neck but you probably cant hang more than 20 or so lbs that way without hurting your neck and the chains themselves aren't heavy. Im guessing Home Depot is closed now too so weights in a backpack may be the only option

Depends how you do it. If you are more upright then it's mostly triceps. If you want to hit chest then you have to stick your feet out in front of you a bit and tilt your head down. Look up gironda dips.

I’ve tried it every which way, dips has always been a staple in my workouts, but it always only ever felt like I was hitting my triceps. That being said my triceps are by far my best looking muscle and I do attribute it to dips.

Hey qbkilla,

It works both, tris and pecs (for me).

Here is how I utilize dips.

My chest really 'took off' when I ditched flys and presses and just focused on dips
with with weight. I did drop sets, removed the added weight and immediately,
with zero rest, continued with body weight. Both to complete failure. I did / do
nothing else for my pecs.

For tris I do dips immediately, no rest, after any triceps exercise, with just body
weight to failure. Then I do push-ups with my feet elevated on a bench, hands
forming a small triangle, as many reps as possible. With your feet elevated
and your chest down, it drives the blood into the tris. Great pump.

And I would put the backpack on your back. My opinion. Could work either way
I suppose as I never done them wearing a pack on the front. See what works
best for you.

You are unique, just like everybody else ;)

Hope this helps.

Body upright with a narrower grip will emphasize triceps more. Wider with body leaning forward a bit will be more chest.

I think it's the best chest exercise there is. As to which form, do it in a way you feel it the most where you should feel it. That's what I always say when someone asks me about form/execution. It doesn't have to look like you're doing it right from the outside as long as it feels right to you from the inside so to speak.

I lean forward for chest.Im upright for triceps.

I do dips both ways. I also will lower slowly then explode up for as many reps as i can. Repeat with no rest. Deep stretch at the bottom

bench dips with your hands behind u will smoke the tris more than the pecs ive found.
when i put the weighted pack on ill try it front and then back to see what difference it makes...just experiment, see what works best for your goals

As posted it all depends upon how you execute the movement. They are great for chest and tri-ceps. For the later in simple terms you need to be more upright with your head facings forwards (so you can't go all the way down). Go on you-tube and search for chest and tri-cep dips so you can visually see the difference. I have always done drop sets so weighted then straight onto bodyweight. It can be awkward to hold weight but you can between your legs (db, bag etc) if in a standard gym or outside. Ideally you could fill up a backpack with weight if doing them outside in a park. I am lucky as my gym recently got chains in so they can just be wrapped around your neck for added resistance.

Im not going to repeat any of the same messages you're getting haha
But dips are great.

Before I got into BBing stuff I PLed for awhile and I would read that every single one of the strongest dudes (bench number wise) would incorporate weighted dips into their training. And because of that, it became a staple of mine.

I also notice that throwing in dips that first week you're going to feel weak and wobbly. Your shoulders are trying to stabilize just how far back you need to be and so on. The weeks following, shit REALLY starts to kick and most people see big jumps in reps and weight.

dips can be done in lots of ways to change the focus.
i used to do dips with weight for years now i havent and find that if you get real nasty with the form by and large weight isnt too necessary.

however you do them, warm up then go for one all out set do not lock your elbows at any point, flex your triceps and chest hard at the top then really slow 5 second negative, pause, explode, repeat.

20-30 of those n tell me how you feel. lol

dips can be done in lots of ways to change the focus.
i used to do dips with weight for years now i havent and find that if you get real nasty with the form by and large weight isnt too necessary.

however you do them, warm up then go for one all out set do not lock your elbows at any point, flex your triceps and chest hard at the top then really slow 5 second negative, pause, explode, repeat.

20-30 of those n tell me how you feel. lol
Preach!! Spent 18 months doing these, push ups, leg lifts. Over head presses. Best shape of my life. No AAS Shit ton carbs 3x per day Lol

Forget the backpack and pick up a weighted vest. CAP makes a decent one for cheap.

I'm a long-armed guy and about 6/6'1. I've only always felt them in the front delts and chest. I've never gotten much stimulation in the triceps with them. When i've tried to do them with an upright torso it really hurt my shoulders; like a ton of pressure, even if i limited the ROM so i've found better exercises for my triceps. I think a lot of the where and how for this exercise, like most, will depend on how you're built (ie limb length).

I'm a long-armed guy and about 6/6'1. I've only always felt them in the front delts and chest. I've never gotten much stimulation in the triceps with them. When i've tried to do them with an upright torso it really hurt my shoulders; like a ton of pressure, even if i limited the ROM so i've found better exercises for my triceps. I think a lot of the where and how for this exercise, like most, will depend on how you're built (ie limb length).

Exactly. Which is why I said forget about 'perfect form' when looking at it from the outside, just get into a position that is most comfortable for YOU and where you feel it the most in the target muscle. This goes for all exercises.

You're trying to train muscles the hardest way possible when training for hypertrophy, not do exercises 'properly'. I've seen way too many clients of PT's in gyms do exercises exactly as instructed by the textbooks while they were clearly not properly overloading the target muscle(s).

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131