over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dips for triceps

Maelstrom

Registered
Any got any tips or advice to improve my triceps engagement when I do dips?

I find my front delts and pecs always seem to give out way before my triceps, on both dips and close-grip bench press.

I already do my dips with a narrow-ish grip, and try and stay as upright as possible (which I find quite difficult, my natural tendency is to lean forward slightly). I use a dipping belt as opposed to chains around my neck when I do them weighted, as the chains really do pull me forward.

I generally stick to dips in between benches when I am training tris. That's one of my go to exercises for tris

I love bench dips for triceps ... helps width, great pump

Bar dips with slight lean forward for chest ... awesome pump

Try not to let your elbows flare out too much. Keep your back tight, pull your shoulder blades together. Don't go too deep. Try to concentrate on pushing with your triceps and feeling the stretch, not just going from point a to point b. you could be using too much weight, it's easy to do.

never worked for me and only gave me bad elbow issues,however it worked great on the HS machine...have you tried machine version?

I typically do dips at the end of my workout so theyre alredy fatigued. That way i dont have to use a ton of extra weight and i can really focus on feeling the triceps working

Dips feel best when I lean way forward, may not isolate the best but I try to listen to my body. I don't know why you would want to isolate on tri's for dips, there are other exercises which isolate and destroy your tri's enough I think.

Use a close grip dip station, keep your torso completely vertical, head looking up, feet pointed straight down, pull elbows back and rubbing along the lats during the entire movement, only descend half way, think only about having triceps to support you = problem solved.

Last edited:
I have to really concentrate in order to feel the dips in the right place.

Especially when adding lots of weight.

When I want to do low reps for mass I don't worry about isolation and do regular weighted dips.

If I'm trying for isolation and extreme pump, I'll use the HS machine. Ad I grip the handles as far back as possible.

Never liked dips for tris. Always felt they were a decent chest exercise though

Try pre-exhausting with push downs and or overhead extensions, also play around with the angles, try decline close grip bench.

I love seated machine dips
Trick with any dip to hit the tris best is not to lean to far forward
Try to keep body as upright as possible

I love seated machine dips
Trick with any dip to hit the tris best is not to lean to far forward
Try to keep body as upright as possible

you are correct, leaning forward seems natural but always seems to engage more muscle groups.

Bench dips are not very healthy for the shoulders. When the shoulders are internally rotated, which is how their set up when doing bench dips, it causes shoulder impingement and stress on the rotator cuffs. Bench dips put the majority of the stress on the lateral head. Parallel bar dips put the shoulders in a neutral position which causes no impingement and places the stress on all 3 heads more equally.

I find my front delts and pecs always seem to give out way before my triceps, on both dips and close-grip bench press.

I already do my dips with a narrow-ish grip, and try and stay as upright as possible (which I find quite difficult, my natural tendency is to lean forward slightly). I use a dipping belt as opposed to chains around my neck when I do them weighted, as the chains really do pull me forward.

Before I forget, when doing your dips whether it be chest or for triceps you should always have atleast SOME forward lean, it will just be more so when focusing on chest. Also what are you doing with your legs? Check out the video below:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuaUTOMQQrc"]Dip - YouTube[/ame]

I find it useful when trying to use an extensor (like the triceps) to picture extending or unfolding my arm at the elbow instead of pushing down or pressing my body up from the shoulder.

This might mean you feel weaker or do fewer reps, but they will be hitting the target precisely.

If you really focus on flexing and extending the elbows, a lot of the correct form will happen naturally.

Weighted bench dips and sitting reverse on the hammer strength dip machine are my favorites

Keep your head up..legs straight,, and try not to lean forward.
Try to do a straight up and down motion.
When I do dips for pecs,,I cross my legs behind
me,,keep my head looking down and lean forward

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner