over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dips... opinions on using them for the chest

Love dips but limited on equipment as of having none. And gyms are still closed here and no sign of opening anytime soon
if at all rest of the year. And beings I'm in the home repair business thinking of making something out of 2X4's. I've built benches and preacher curl equipment before using lumber. If I could afford to buy equipment I still refuse to spend the money these sharks want now...

That sounds like a great idea! Brother..I bet that whatever you build using quality solid wood..it would last for decades. I remember the time me and my dad built a killer bicycle ramp for me using solid wood from the Home Depot like 2 decades ago. We just nailed a bunch of wood together to make a ramp. I used to jump on that ramp every single day for HOURS on my Fat Boy Pro 415 BMX bike during my BMX days..and that ramp always held up. Guess what? To this day..that ramp is still in the garage..still strong and ready to take decades MORE abuse LOL.
Go for it..build it and promise us you will take pics of it after your done building it okay?

That sounds like a great idea! Brother..I bet that whatever you build using quality solid wood..it would last for decades. I remember the time me and my dad built a killer bicycle ramp for me using solid wood from the Home Depot like 2 decades ago. We just nailed a bunch of wood together to make a ramp. I used to jump on that ramp every single day for HOURS on my Fat Boy Pro 415 BMX bike during my BMX days..and that ramp always held up. Guess what? To this day..that ramp is still in the garage..still strong and ready to take decades MORE abuse LOL.
Go for it..build it and promise us you will take pics of it after your done building it okay?

LOL ! Yea I will. It may not look pretty but serve the purpose. Drawing up my blue print tonight. About your ramp, when we were all kids my buddies and I did the same. Build ramps out of dad's junk pile wood. Was left out in the rain for years and still worked till we got our drivers license.

With the social distancing, I'm just going to choose to hog the pullup/dip machine at my gym. Someone's gotta do it.

I've actually just used mostly those two to great effect training without weights.

It s a great stretch exercice. I often use dips at the end of my chest training, no weight, lots of reps

I love dips. Prefer the machine over moving my body as it destroys my shoulders.

Wrong
If you can't do these, then you have shoulder mobility issues that will get worse from all the presses you do that do not allow the scapula to move freely
People who say this usually weigh no more than 180 pounds and have t-rex arms...

Wrong
If you can't do these, then you have shoulder mobility issues that will get worse from all the presses you do that do not allow the scapula to move freely
I banged out 31 yesterday in a row and weigh about 192lbs right now, they don't hurt my shoulders and what everyone has said is great advice. The stretch on them is the best, plus they make your arms pumped at the top.
Now I see what has been missing for about a decade...…. will put the weight belt to use for them next workout

Anyone using fat grips for dips? I'm training at a new gym (temporarily moved to another country where gyms are already open), and the dips bars are super thin which forces my hands and wrists into a very weird position.

Ok, So I've not been the vocal , contributing member ever on this board. I started the brotherhood of Iron when I was 16 and have nearly 45 years of consistent training (not competing) under my belt. Everyone has there own motives and goals. With regard to dips (or any exercise); the angle of the movement is everything in where the focus will be on the muscle. Just a few degrees of difference either direction completely changes the effect and muscle you are attempting to hit. I have found doing the dips wide grip with my upper body up and over the top of the dip bars will begin to give your chest stress similar to a decline press. Yes I actually lean over the top a little bit. I have to laugh, one morning I was training with my 28 yo daughter using this exercise. While she was doing her set I was across the gym filling my water bottle. One of the (Young) training instructors had come over to the dip machine and rotated the dip bars back in and was proceeding to tell her how this way would help her triceps. He hadn't seen me working with her. So . me, (Gym elder) walks over and was very understanding. I opened the dip bars to wide grip again and just smiled and said that we were working lower chest today but thanked him for his input. I mentioned gym elder as I am old school. I was planning to start a new old school thread but here are a couple photos of when it all began. I read these cover to cover ( No fitness apps back then) after riding my bike over to 7 Eleven or Walgreens to buy these. Peace folks.

Attachments

• Resized Vintage M and F Dates.jpg
    Resized Vintage M and F Dates.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • resized Vintage M and F.jpg
    resized Vintage M and F.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 8
Dips = upper body squats.
If you are able to do them, master the movement and your whole upper body will show in thickness and definition.
There are variations and until it become a "natural" comfortable move for you, I prefer you NOT to leave them to the end of the work out.

I had a local welder build me a v dip stand last year for my specifications. Stands at 60 inches so I can keep legs straight and it v’s out from 24 inches to 35 at end. I am 6’3 and when I dip strict at the end nothing shreds my chest more then those. Complete hit especially upper pec region. In fact I been doing 10 sets of 10 lately and doing those this evening

I had a local welder build me a v dip stand last year for my specifications. Stands at 60 inches so I can keep legs straight and it v’s out from 24 inches to 35 at end. I am 6’3 and when I dip strict at the end nothing shreds my chest more then those. Complete hit especially upper pec region. In fact I been doing 10 sets of 10 lately and doing those this evening
how much did you pay

weighted dips are for chest what is squats for legs
Or more accurately stated: weighted dips are for chest, delts & triceps what squats are for thighs, glutes and lower back!

You sure about that?

You sure about that?

Absolutely! My pecs tell me the next day, lol. My bars v out to 35 inches. Not sure or highly doubt gyms have bars that dip that wide. Dropped commercial gyms a decade ago. I remember cybex had a dip tower that went wide. Look not into the specifics of angles and all that but after a solid dip session, I know it the next day.

Being a Phil Hernon fan......anytime you move your body through a plane it is the most effective muscle builder and training.

Squats > leg press
Pull ups > pull downs
Pushups/dips > bench press/flys

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420