over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dips... opinions on using them for the chest

grizzly978

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How many of you guys do dips regularly, let’s say just using body weight and how many sets and reps is a good point?
I just bought a home dip machine from Cap barbell, it’s just a normal dip bar and I haven’t done them in a decade , kind of forgot if they were good or what to be honest.....

I love dips. I like to add weight everytime I hit atleast 20 reps. Normally I do a push pull legs type routine and I’ll use them on my push day as a tricep exercise to kinda hit the chest some more. I think they’re a really great bang for buck exercise. As far as sets it’ll generally be a dc style rp set. Just be careful with how deep you go if you have shoulder issues like I do.

I like Mountain Dog style setup for training chest

1. Activation: Usually a DB Press movement
2. Loading: Incline Barbell
3. Maximum Pump: Some type of Fly
4. Stretch Position: Dips (this is the best spot I've found personally for them). Usually do them bodyweight till failure. I've done them for triceps progressive overload style, and got pretty strong at them, and then started developing elbow tendonitis so had to back off. For chest though, I much prefer it this way, zero soft tissue pain and great exercise to end a session.

Dips were great................until about early 30's. Not so friendly on the joints after that but it most likely depends on your personal level of joint integrity.

I did love strapping on a 45 plate or 2 and ripping them out back in the day!

I use them for triceps mostly. I like the bars that come out at an angle, and do them on the bars where they are narrow. Going out more where they are farther apart seems to put more stress on my chest.

I used to try to compartmentalize things. Chest....shoulders....triceps. Now I look at things from the 30k foot level, more basic. PUSH muscles. I include dips on push day when I train all my upper body push muscles. A sample push day might be: Incline Smith Press, Flat DB press, Dips, Cable Laterals, PJR Pullovers. Approx 2-3 working sets of each movement. Chest, shoulders and tris are smoked after. Were dips for chest or triceps? I dunno…. but my chest, front delts and tris were smoked after hitting them for failure a couple times.

I used to try to compartmentalize things. Chest....shoulders....triceps. Now I look at things from the 30k foot level, more basic. PUSH muscles. I include dips on push day when I train all my upper body push muscles. A sample push day might be: Incline Smith Press, Flat DB press, Dips, Cable Laterals, PJR Pullovers. Approx 2-3 working sets of each movement. Chest, shoulders and tris are smoked after. Were dips for chest or triceps? I dunno…. but my chest, front delts and tris were smoked after hitting them for failure a couple times.
I agree, that's how I do it now too. I just like going narrow on dips because it seems to take some stress off chest and more on triceps. I feel like it works similar to close grip bench.

How many of you guys do dips regularly, let’s say just using body weight and how many sets and reps is a good point?
I just bought a home dip machine from Cap barbell, it’s just a normal dip bar and I haven’t done them in a decade , kind of forgot if they were good or what to be honest.....
Nothing gives me the inner pec stretch like dips! I do machine dips due too many injuries. They feel great after my pressing exercises.

I am 65 and do them all the time (well . . . when the gym was open). Never a shoulder
problem. Deep with weight, before or right after (rush) a triceps exercise. I don't
do them for chest (it's the first thing to sag when you get older), primarily for shoulders
or tri's. Do them once a week, maybe twice. A couple of drop sets is all I need or
want.

Once I dropped all other chest exercises and just did dips, my chest 'took off' (for me).
It was really, truly, serendipitous.

I think it is one of the best chest exercises, that, along with decline presses. And one of
the best movements for the tri's.

I am 65 and do them all the time (well . . . when the gym was open). Never a shoulder
problem. Deep with weight, before or right after (rush) a triceps exercise. I don't
do them for chest (it's the first thing to sag when you get older), primarily for shoulders
or tri's. Do them once a week, maybe twice. A couple of drop sets is all I need or
want.

Once I dropped all other chest exercises and just did dips, my chest 'took off' (for me).
It was really, truly, serendipitous.

I think it is one of the best chest exercises, that, along with decline presses. And one of
the best movements for the tri's.

First I am glad to see a board contributor north of 60. I too plan on doing this shxt until the day they bury me. So for a "youngster" like me at 51, what do you mean by chest "first thing to sag when you get older?" Are you saying that an over developed chest can become a problem as we age? No spite here, truly want to hear what you mean by this. I am 51 and always appreciate tips from anyone who has been in the game longer than me. (Note: I started hardcore in 84 and have been at it ever since).

I love weighted chest dips! I usually chain on a 40lb-60lb kettle ball. So many people think there doing chest dips when there actually doing tricep dips. The key for me is the forward lean while locking my legs behind me. I’m guessing but I would say I hit a 30 degree lean. It really gives me a good pump in my shoulders and arms too.

First I am glad to see a board contributor north of 60. I too plan on doing this shxt until the day they bury me. So for a "youngster" like me at 51, what do you mean by chest "first thing to sag when you get older?" Are you saying that an over developed chest can become a problem as we age? No spite here, truly want to hear what you mean by this. I am 51 and always appreciate tips from anyone who has been in the game longer than me. (Note: I started hardcore in 84 and have been at it ever since).

Yes sir. Do not overdevelop your pecs. If you live long enough, which is really not that long,
you will regret it. There is no going back. It's like the bulk (fat) you put on for whatever
reason, that to will be a daily reminder of your youthful indiscretion. These 'players' that get
fat get skinny get fat get skinny they have no clue what awaits them . . . but how would they
know, they know everything ;)

Yes sir. Do not overdevelop your pecs. If you live long enough, which is really not that long,
you will regret it. There is no going back. It's like the bulk (fat) you put on for whatever
reason, that to will be a daily reminder of your youthful indiscretion. These 'players' that get
fat get skinny get fat get skinny they have no clue what awaits them . . . but how would they
Yeah, the problem is lose skin i think. Once you lose muscle, the extra skin is left behind. Sucks.

There are countless older body builders that don’t get saggy tits. It’s all about not letting yourself go like Arnold did.
This guy is 78 and vegan.https://goodblacknews.org/tag/african-american-bodybuilders/
180BBE8F-6F37-4EA2-9288-403EB207C22A.jpeg

give a great stretch for pecs and anterior delts. unfortunately for me, they are not kind to my shoulders and have done very little for my triceps. used to love them for chest ten years ago and even got fairly decent at them. i have long arms for what it's worth.

Bodyweight dips are truly the best exercise you can possibly do. I make better gains on that than I do on the benchpress..seriously.
Hell..im making better gains in the park than in the gym with ZERO joint pain. It will make you more sore than you can imagine for at least a week.
The secret key to dips is doing at least 15 sets of at least 15-20 reps each set with the shortest possible rest time between sets. You will get a pump that you have never known before. Even if you have to triple drop set each set to reach your 15-20 rep target per set..do it.
The same applies to all bodyweight type exercises..MORE SETS=BETTER..MORE REPS=BETTER. Go for that massive pump..and then keep going on and on until you can't even do one more rep. It becomes a full body exercise once you reach past that point of no return..and the best kind there possibly is. Need I say more?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws