over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DISCUSSION: Benefits of BCAA's... Glutamine (L-/Peptides).... Taurine

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Iv read time and time again how vital BCAA's are to muscle growth. Iv read how megadosing substantially supports muscle growth and people have seen a huge difference (Massive G comes to mind).

I read about the benefits of Glutamine all the time for dieting, how it is vital for muscle sparing. I also read how peptides can be absorbed in the presence of a whole protein source, while L-glutamine cannot. Are there any benefits of L-Glutamine compred to peptides? Does glutamine have any significant benefits towards muscle growth or is this just great for diet support to maintain muscle?

I been hearing alot latly about Taurine and its benefits also.

What can you tell me about these supplements and how do you feel about them and their incorporation in your diet and bodybuilding program?

The problem with most supplements is that they cause such an un-dramatic effect that its very hard to honestly credit results to them. Especially when your doing 30 other things at the same time. needless to say though i still use glutamine, and bcaa's on a daily basis. I have confidence in glutamine. Its hard to say that about a lot of supplements though.

here is the cheapest L-taurine on the net if your interested:
$2.86
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Bump^ i would like to know what some others think about this? Phil, SZONA, Pputnam? what are your thoughts on this?

The following portion of an article below was taken from a website I like to look at called the Alternative Medicine Review. In a nut shell it pretty much explains this amino acid to a tee. I feel its is an absolutely vital part of anyones supplement program. I recover quicker when I use it and also never seem to get sick. Glutamine seems to boost ones immune system which is why if I do feel like Im getting a bit run down I'll bump up the glutamine a little more. Its one of the best anti-catabolics in my opinion and I'm a firm believer in year round use. Have a read down below.

L-glutamine is the most prevalent amino acid in the bloodstream and because human cells readily synthesize it, is usually considered a non-essential amino acid. It is found in high concentration in skeletal muscle, lung, liver, brain, and stomach tissue. Skeletal muscle contains the greatest intracellular concentration of glutamine, comprising up to 60 percent of total body glutamine stores, and is considered the primary storage depot and exporter of glutamine to other tissues. Under certain pathological circumstances the body's tissues need more glutamine than the amount supplied by diet and biosynthesis. During catabolic stress intracellular glutamine levels can drop more than 50 percent, and it is under these circumstances that supplemental glutamine becomes necessary.[1] In times of metabolic stress, glutamine is released into circulation, where it is transported to the tissue in need. Intracellular skeletal muscle glutamine concentration is affected by various insults, including injury, sepsis, prolonged stress, starvation, and the use of glucocorticoids. Therefore, glutamine has been re-classified as a conditionally essential amino acid. Research demonstrates glutamine supplementation may be beneficial when added to total parenteral nutrition (TPN) for surgery, trauma, and cancer patients. In addition, evidence suggests it may provide benefit for certain gastrointestinal conditions, wound healing, critically ill neonates, HIV/AIDS patients, immune enhancement in endurance athletes, and prevention of complications associated with chemotherapy, radiation, and bone marrow transplant.[1,2]

I use at least 20grams of glutamine a day and it really helps recovery rates particularly during PCT. I think DC highly recommends glutamine too. I don't use any other supps apart from protein powder as I have tried lots and think they are a waste of money, a good diet is my favourite supplement

I have to bump this because like TP4U, I still can't be absolutely certain that I'm just not making my pee turn yellow. I use glutamine, almost with every meal, which means about 15-16gm/day. I can't honestly say, without a doubt, that I notice a difference. A few years ago, before I tried some of my current supplements, I felt it helped my recovery time. Even still, I didn't bump up my workout schedule to add more workouts. Now creatine? I notice a difference. BCAA's? Nope. I'm just so in the habit of taking glutamine. Taurine is another one. They've even started putting it in energy drinks at the kwik-e-mart.

If you take a good whey or egg protein along with a good diet and a multi-vite. What else can you recommend that has unmistakable good results? I'd love to know. (don't count pro-hormones)

Here's what I think. I think when I'm sore or tired from a workout and I'm making a meal and I see that big-ole-bottle of glutamine up there I say "Yeah, better add some of that too just in case!" If it wasn't there, I doubt I'd miss it.

my .02

OuchThatHurts said:
If you take a good whey or egg protein along with a good diet and a multi-vite. What else can you recommend that has unmistakable good results? I'd love to know.
That plus creatine covers it pretty much for me personally. If protein needs are covered BCAAs and Glutamine are not worth it from a muscle growth standpoint IMO. Whey is already loaded with BCAAs, taking more is useless IMPO. Maybe on a diet it could help marginally.

Need more aminos, drink another protein shake. ;)

IMO you can see if BCAA work for you is while doing a serious cut do not use the BCAAs for a couple weeks, then add in mega dosing of the BCAAs and Glut and see what happens. I believe many will be very pleased with the results.

CROWLER

One supp. not talked about yet that I love is ZMA. I don't know how it contributes to muscle building but all I know is I sleep much better and wake feeling rested. Sleep is ridiculously important so I don't see how this could be a bogus supp.

Jwillbc55 said:
Sleep is ridiculously important so I don't see how this could be a bogus supp.
I agree with that. I use a bunch of stuff for mood, sleep support etc. I absolutely love Ashwagandha. Great for sleep and relaxation. Relora is another one I've been playing with recently.

Not anabolic per se, but if it helps sleep for example that is certainly beneficial sort of indirectly.

Yeah guys, sleep is important totally agree but what about BCAA's, (glutamine, taurine, tryptophan)

I forgot to mention I also take L-tryptophan up to 3 grams on sleepless nights. I don't know if it has much muscle-related effects but half of this stuff you read, it sounds like "if you take this supplement, sunshine will surely come out of your ass"

I just thought we could hammer out the beneficial from the wasteful. I don't mind springing for supps but I don't want to just throw it away!

The only time I really see it helps with me is when dieting for a contest........and i load up. But I just dont see a need of taking when your not dieting. Well im trying the new MHP glutamine SR that has a 12 hour release........it was gave to me so what the heck I'll try it and see how it does. But just dont see spending loads of money when your not dieting when theres tons of food to eat!! I know when i was dieting for the State i took BCAA's, glutamine, all day long.....even put in my room at night and when i got up to pee I took 10 grams of each in the middle of night:D

OuchThatHurts said:
Yeah guys, sleep is important totally agree but what about BCAA's, (glutamine, taurine, tryptophan)

I forgot to mention I also take L-tryptophan up to 3 grams on sleepless nights. I don't know if it has much muscle-related effects but half of this stuff you read, it sounds like "if you take this supplement, sunshine will surely come out of your ass"

I just thought we could hammer out the beneficial from the wasteful. I don't mind springing for supps but I don't want to just throw it away!

Where is those pancakes for your avatar? I liked looking at those babies!!

muscle69 said:
Where is those pancakes for your avatar? I liked looking at those babies!!
Yes, it's true. Everyone misses the pancakes... they'll be back!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131