over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DNP and cataracts

alteredbeast

Registered
I remember several years ago reading a post on another board by a guy who had just come back from having cataract surgery - he was of the opinion that the cataracts were caused by his DNP usage. If I remember right, the guy was in his young 30's. Does anyone else recall this? Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem from DNP use?

found this in the Article's Forum (posted by xcelbeyond)

DNP and Cataracts

MDGADPC has kindly sent me a photocopy from the French journal Annales des Oculistes, concerning the effects of DNP on the eyes. Since this paper may be of some general interest, I have translated it and attach it below.

For those who may be unaware, DNP or dinitrophenol is a toxic compound which was used for weight loss in the 1930’s. It was withdrawn from the market as a result of severe side effects, including deaths, but recently it has been suggested that it could have a role in the contest preparation of elite bodybuilders.

One point to consider in the text below is that cataracts may develop 6 to 12 months after the DNP treatment is completed.
Note: the intake of DNP was chronic and continuous.

Citation: Sedan, Jean. 1939. A propos de deux cas de cataracte par phenols dinitres. Annales d’Oculistes. 176:191.
Translation Copyright 1996 by Robert Ames. All rights reserved. Concerning Two Cases of Cataract Caused by Dinitrophenol By Jean Sedan (Marseille)

The implementation of the treatment for obesity by dinitrophenol dates only from 1933, the year when it was suddenly and rapidly put in the limelight by the work of the Americans Tainter, Mehrtens and Cutting.

These authors have established that the ingestion of dinitrophenol accelerates metabolism, causing a marked elevation in temperature. It seemed that dinitrophenol was a specially effective treatment for obesity. In 1936, Horner estimated that in the first 15 months following the appearance of the medication in the market, one hundred thousand persons used it to lose weight.
Note: 100,000 people used it.
Incidents and accidents multiplied and appeared sufficiently serious that the American Medical Association warned the public against the dangers of unsupervised treatment.

Here we discuss only the case of cataracts, which Horner had said that it occurs in one case in 1000 treatments. At the end of this report we will note the principle bibliographic references concerning the American literature devoted to the subject and which is of a great value, but we wish to emphasize how the European work and especially French are on the other hand still
rare and even exceptional.
One can say that it is by the work of Onfray and Gilbert Dreyfus presented to the Congress of the S.F.O. [Societe Francaisedes Oculistes?] in 1937 that French opthamologists had their attention drawn to the subject. This remarkably precise work is enriched by two observations of which one is due to Doctor A. Gallois, of Besancon. We frequently reference this, for it contains in addition to minutely observed details, important physio?pathogenic considerations and a complete history of the subject.

Apart from this work, we should also to point out the observations of Van de Hoeve and Polak?Daniels published in Hollandin 1936, as well as the French summaries and reviews of Halbron on cataracts and of Laignel?Lavastine on dinitrophenol intoxication.

Finally, we emphasize the interest of the work of Vogt on the cataracts caused by dinitrophenol in Switzerland and of G.Ciotola of those caused by alpha dinitrophenol in Italy, both published in 1937. The same year, Stein and Crevecoeur pointed out that in their opinion this affectation was, when all is said and done, quite rare if one thinks of the enormous dissemination of
dinitro treatment. This was also the opinion of Andre Mayer, based on the fact that despite the considerable number of intoxications by dintrophenol observed in munitions factories, no cases of cataracts have been noted.
Note: Because they were not intoxicated with it continuously.

Finally, in 1938, Carlotti and Rivoire de Nice presented a case of cataract by dintrophenyl?lysidine which developed "with almost lightning?like rapidity."

It was possible for us to observe two very demonstrative cases. In one there was an arrest of development of opacity after the patient stopped taking dinitrophenol, which is more than a rarity, a real exception in the pathological history of dinitrophenol cataracts.

OBSERVATION I.—Mme. K... Lea, 32 years old presented herself to me in December 1937 with a marked lowering of the vision of both eyes, which began a few weeks earlier, developing extremely fast and was all the more disturbing since she works at a very visual profession in the editing of a newspaper and as she is especially partial to this pleasant and remunerative
position. I noticed a beginning of bilateral cataract appearing striated and fleecy which is found almost constantly in the description of toxic lens opacities of this kind. The opacity is situated mainly at the level of the equator of the lens, but also involves the posterior part of the central mass. The vision is only 4/10 in the right and 5/10 in the left, these two acuities correctable to 7/10 O.D.G. ?? 2.50.

Mme K... thus learned that she was rapidly becoming myopic.

The most minute research were done in view of identifying a possible cause of this bilateral cataract. All the blood and urine tests were negative. Very complete clinical examinations by Doctor P..., referring physician, point to the same conclusion that it is impossible to relieve Mmme. K...’s pathological process at all.

It is then that I thought of asking her about the possibility of a dinitrophenol anti?obesity treatment, even though the corpulence of my client did not seem excessive. She told me then of having taken two pills each day of 0.30 grams of dinitrophenol in series of ten days with a rest of 15 days, for the past year and a half.
Note: That is a long time!

She had, without the least dietary restriction, lost 19 kilograms out of 87 [42 pounds out of 191]. It was at that point that she began complaining about her vision.
Note: She lost a lot of weight, too!

I wasn’t aware of the topic at that time except by the short summaries of American works, but I didn’t hesitate to warn her against what I considered to be the real origin of her sickness. Very anxious about her state, she was easily convinced and stopped that therapy suddenly and definitively.

I had the opportunity to see her in March, July and October 1938 and I noticed with great interest the complete arrest in the development of these cataracts, which accompanied in very precise fashion the progressive and total disappearance of myopia to the extent that although it was possible to note an appreciable modification in the lens opacities, the visual acuity was spontaneously returned to 7/10 (uncorrected) at the end of October 1938.

We add that Mme. K..., doubly happy, very far from regaining weight in spite of the renunciation of dinitrophenol, had lost another 5 kilos by a very strict nutritional discipline complemented with rigorous gymnastic practices and the introduction into her life of a new intoxification, certainly less dangerous than the preceeding—tea.

In this case, the role played by the toxin in the opacification of the lens seems to us demonstrated in an almost experimental fashion by the disappearance of the myopia at the moment of the cessation of the intoxification and even more by the incontestable and enduring stabilization of the state of opacities that maintained itself for six months. In contrast, the development was very sudden in a month before the application of this measure. It is presumed that only the precocity of the requested medical consultation and of the medical diagnostic given, has permitted a stop in the development of this toxic cataract—a completely unusual phenomenon.

We emphasize that the treatment had included plainly excessive doses and that however the opacification only appeared late in the treatment. On this topic remember that in the discussion which followed the expose made to the S.F.O. in 1937 by MM.Onfray and Gilbert Dreyfus?Arruga, who had occasion to observe and operate in America [illegible] ... don’t generally appear except at the end of many months and even sometimes six to twelve months after the cessation of treatment. These late?developing cataracts are almost always bilateral.

OBSERVATION II.

[Not included. Summary: A 32 year old woman weighing 90 kg. (198 pounds) began taking dinitrophenol on February 1st,
1937. She began with 9 to 10 pills daily, each being 30 mg. of DNP. After a week she increased the dose to 12 pills / day
(360 mg.). At this dosage she lost 800 grams per week, or 10 kg. (22 pounds) in three months, without changing her diet. She
stopped taking DNP for four months and then began again. So she took 32.4 grams of DNP in the first 90 days and the same
amount in the second course. American reports indicated that cataracts had resulted from doses as small as 100 mg. per day
for a total of 40 grams.

On June 10th 1938, after several days in a very sunny seaside resort, the patient began to lose vision in her left eye, and on July 12th, the other eye was affected. By August 1st she was unable to see to drive. By September she was blind. Fortunately, surgery produced favorable results.]

It is necessary, indeed, to publicize cases in order to attract the attention of physicians and of the French public to the danger of intoxification by dinitrophenol. The fact that we have been able to stabilize, if not make regress one cataract of this class by stopping all toxic ingestion is but another reason which compels us to make it known.

These arguments and our observations are so needed to challenge the imagination and influence young women against harmful weight loss techniques that the work appears discouraging.

Indeed, in ending, we repeat the unlikely remark that our second patient made to us upon taking leave following the success of her first operation: "And now, Doctor, do not oppose my taking of dinitrophenol since I no longer risk having cataracts."

alteredbeast said:
I remember several years ago reading a post on another board by a guy who had just come back from having cataract surgery - he was of the opinion that the cataracts were caused by his DNP usage. If I remember right, the guy was in his young 30's. Does anyone else recall this? Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem from DNP use?

It's quite easy to prevent most negative sides of DNP. Pyruvate will prevent the cataract isssue, you should also be using taurine, glycerol, magnesium, potassium citrate, nac, and good amount of idebenone. Along with other beneficial antioxidants.

there really is no cataract issue that has been directly linked to DNP. It was believed to have caused it in females only but that was later disproved. Speaking of this horrible compound that I love and hate, I just finished a cycle today....thank fucking God. Its still in my system but feeling much better already since I didnt take my am dose. I think I saved about $200 in heating costs over the last 10 days or so, I could not have timed this better.

Hey guys... as far as DNP and cats are concerned.. from what I know it mostly happened with women exclusively. Something dealing with glutathione. They guys are correct.. alot of DNP sides are combated with high levels of antioxidents. ALA and R-ALA are the best in high dosages.. also grapeseed is excellent. Now after studing up on Bromocrit... its been shown to halt cancer and tumor growth.. and other fat burning benefits as well.. so its a must in the usage of DNP. Please take precaution when using DNP everyone. I have used it before.. so please respect it more than any other compound. Basically keep in mind the biggest long term risk problem associated with DNP is free radicals and the damage they do on cells. So take stuff that eats those free radicals up.. aka Antioxidants.. and TONS OF them!!!

I've heard that too - that DNP only causes cataracts in women and that that was later disproved... it's repeated all the time on posts about DNP. Can anyone verify how it was disproved? The above study seemed pretty conclusive that it is a possible side effect...

Aesop, can you explain how pyruvate prevents cataracts?

alteredbeast said:
I've heard that too - that DNP only causes cataracts in women and that that was later disproved... it's repeated all the time on posts about DNP. Can anyone verify how it was disproved? The above study seemed pretty conclusive that it is a possible side effect...

Aesop, can you explain how pyruvate prevents cataracts?

Good question! I don't know the exact method of action but I do know it has something to do with maintaining proper cellular hydration, which is why taking taurine, glycerol,pyruvate and water helps reduce the sides associated with DNP. All of these compounds also have anti oxidant properties. More on why maintaining cellular hydration is important for preventing free rad formation later.

The generation of cataracts, from DNP use, is due to excessive free radicals in body and that persons inability to deal with them. This is why only a small percentage of the population who took dnp were susceptible to cataracts. In general people who are cardiovascularly fit and exercise regularly have sufficient natural anti-ox production to counter the elecation of free rads. Another potential cause of cataracts would be low O2 levels which interferes with aerobic respiration.

This brings us to the crux of DNP related side effects, DNP DECREASES THE PRODUCTION OF REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES (ROS) in the mitochondria. Now how could DNP prevent ROS formation, which is a very good thing because ROS is generally the main cause of free rads in the body, and lead to an increase in free rad formation? IMO the increased free rads are produced as a result of increased mitochondrial temperature and increased rates of beta oxidation, leading to free rad formation of unsaturated fatty acids, which then escape out of the mitochondria and are not metabolized. Since this is happening in every cell of your body the free rads start to accumulate and then you have issues.

So basically maintaining proper cell hydration and glycogen stores within cells will help keep the heat production of the mitochondria under control leading to less free rads produced as a result of using using an uncoupler like DNP.

Lots of anti ox are essential, Ala might be a good choice while on D because of its insulin like properties, but the essentials are pyruvate, glycerol, taurine, potassium citrate(or another buffer but sodium bicarb is a bitch and has to be taken on an empty sromach) and magnesium (taurate is the best form I have used. I have taken 4 grams of Mag T and not had the shits which is great. I think that equates to 500 mg of elemental Mg. Folic acid and trimethyl glycine which are methyl donors are also a good idea.

Maintaining proper hydration and blood glucose levels are essential to having a pleasant experience on D.

Last edited:
excellent post Aesop, I appreciate the research.

Now if I was to total up all the supplements I was told to take by various sources while on DNP, the list would look like this:

Alpha Lipoic Acid
Magnesium
Taurine
Glycerol
Pyruvate
Potassium citrate
Folic acid
Trimethylglycine
Essential Oils
Peptide Glutamine
Multivitamin
Grape seed extract