advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do 20 rep sets build muscle for upper body?

headtrainer

Registered
I love doing around 10 reps per set because it’s where I seem to make the most gains. But at age 55 my joints don’t like it. I’m going to switch over to using high reps (15-20 per body part). I might also try increasing my work sets eventually in order to create more muscle damage if my tendons will take the extra work load. I think this might be my best option because the strength of my muscles has surpassed the strength of my tendons due to taking steroids. Has anyone on this board been able to build muscle using higher reps while keeping the intensity and volume high?

Absolutely! I'm 65 and been doing exactly that. 15-20 reps for upper body and 20-30 for legs. Joints are in pretty good shape and no problem holding muscle. I work body parts twice over a 9 day period instead of a week. The extra recovery time is perfect for me. Hope this helps!

I'm 55 also. For me it's a few more warm up sets and I try to keep the reps for multi joint exercises above 10, for single joint above 12 or so.
Legs are always above 12, most of the time above 15.

I also stay away from anything that has a history of causing me issues as well as slow down the negative a bit.

As long as it's progressive. If you take any exercise and hypothetically start at 95 lb for 20 reps and turn it into 365 lb for 20 reps, you're going to be a monster. Even if you can't get to 365 lb, the path of trying to is the one you want to be on.

Higher reps stress the CNS and joints much less and give you a greater TUT as well. The only downside is mechanical tension isn't as great.

I dropped the heavy weights and lower reps,went lighter and increased reps,and follow strict form with a good 2-3 second contraction at the end of each rep for a good squeeze. I'll be 50 in a few weeks and have made very good gains following this change up in my routine.

I physically can't train heavy anymore so I adapted my training to my injuries and figured out a game plan that has been working so far.

Once I got past the fact and accepted that I'll never be as thick or strong as I once was and can't hang with the younger guys,I enjoy hitting the gym 6 days a week again

Yes you can keep gaining size and strength with 20 rep sets. Anything that is progressive overload should work.

Also try it and see. If it works for you bo one can argue.

I forget the guys name but he was in the MrO and recently interviewed by Dave Palumbo and the guys does 20 rep sets for all muscle groups.

Sho nuff!
20 rep sets target slow twitch muscle fibers.
6-8 target fast twitch muscle fibers.
Mix it up. Do both. 👍

Numerous studies show no real difference in protein synthesis in regards to failure at 8 reps or failure at 15 reps. In the study the rep cadence was the same in both ranges and they went to concentric failure. No difference in synthesis as long as intensity was there. But as always if you wanna continue to progress in terms of size etc then you must progress in load over time ..

Yes, all my sets are between 12-20 reps. I try to go to near failure, but I make damn sure I don't go to total failure. I have no injuries or chronic pain (knock on wood) because I am careful.

LATS,

I was hoping you'd chime in:cool:

I've went through the archives and you and Dante are the forerunners for pointing out that progress can be made in almost all rep ranges.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 rep sets alone, by themselves, wont build a lot of muscle. But 20-rep sets are definitely useful for building muscle when incorporated properly into a scheme which focuses on progressive overload in the lower rep ranges.

For me, moving to 12 reps was enough to ease joint pain and still progress with my strength. I used 8 reps before.

LATS,

I was hoping you'd chime in:cool:

I've went through the archives and you and Dante are the forerunners for pointing out that progress can be made in almost all rep ranges.

Studies have shown the same

any weight used from 30-90 percent of 1 rep max, taken to failure or up to 3 reps short of failure, will accomplish almost the exact same thing. strength and size almost equally.
i quit logging workouts, chasing that constant add-weight-or-else.
i do 20+ one week, 12-15 the next, and 5-8 the next, then repeat.
works so good now and yes, i get stronger after those 20+ rep weeks.
the ONLY thing is, is a bitch hitting failure at high reps.
hell, i even do 100 reps rest-paused every 3 leg workouts, grew back an inch on my quads in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I'll be 35 this year and have almost never been going under 12 reps for anything on any exercise. For one, I simply love the feel of it. Secondly, it's just better for me in every way. My warmup would seem excessive to most, but I think it'll benefit me in the long run. Work sets are often 15-20, even on some upper body, like triceps.

Sets per week

I am just getting back into heavy weight training/bodybuilding after about 10 yrs. I am 51 now. I keep reading that over 50 should work each body part 3-4 times per week with a max of 15 sets per week divided by those workouts.

Any experience the need to go that route or what routine have you experienced as the best method of growth?

I am just getting back into heavy weight training/bodybuilding after about 10 yrs. I am 51 now. I keep reading that over 50 should work each body part 3-4 times per week with a max of 15 sets per week divided by those workouts.

Any experience the need to go that route or what routine have you experienced as the best method of growth?
this rep scheme and training protocol is typically for natty or older guys not on the sauce. The premise is to keep the body in an anabolic state by training each muscle group 3-4 times per week. But, if ur on the sauce ur body is already in an anabolic state and its not necessary to train that style.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131