advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do anybody count protein calories when dieting?

Ocean cool

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know this has been argued over and over again. But i see a large number of bb that only count carbs and fats pre-contest.

They eat as much protein as they like when hungry. Many of them swear by it and argued that u can take as much protein pre-contest and u will still lose weight.

I know excess protein can lead to fat gain. BUT IS IT REALLY THE CASE?

A few of my friends who are top level competitors come in shredded to the bone told me they ate as much protein. I have a IFBB Pro in my country that eats excessively (protein) because he was hungry. He never count them and said protein will never make u fat. Forget what science said.

I know its hard to believe but even Big A in his threat
Dieting and getting ready for Competition

Give your opinion and no haters. If u're going to be close and negative don't post.

I know this has been argued over and over again. But i see a large number of bb that only count carbs and fats pre-contest.

They eat as much protein as they like when hungry. Many of them swear by it and argued that u can take as much protein pre-contest and u will still lose weight.

I know excess protein can lead to fat gain. BUT IS IT REALLY THE CASE?

A few of my friends who are top level competitors come in shredded to the bone told me they ate as much protein. I have a IFBB Pro in my country that eats excessively (protein) because he was hungry. He never count them and said protein will never make u fat. Forget what science said.

I know its hard to believe but even Big A in his threat
Dieting and getting ready for Competition

Give your opinion and no haters. If u're going to be close and negative don't post.

who are these people?
some examples?

I've heard of Pros/Bodybuilders eating more when they are dieting than off-season due to the extra drugs they are taking. But personally i have never heard of anyone not counting calories, i dont see why they wouldn't it makes things so much easier when chopping and changing things. I could never imagine a Prep guru either outlining a diet like so for meal 2 & 3 have as much chicken as you want with 1 cup rice. Just doesn't seem on to me. I could be totally wrong

This is ridiculous, of course you need to count your protein cals!

Eating too much protein will put you in a surplus, and the OTHER cals from carbs and fats will be stored as adipose tissue.

Your posts get more ridiculous every time. Please name these people/bb's as they don't exist. Everyone I know or ever read about who who counts cals counts protein. Sure some may pay more attention to the carbs and fat but they definitely count protein. They may look at lowering/upping fat/carbs first but they always count protein into the equation.

Fibrous Veg/Greens and sups like fish oil may be something some guys don't count but definitely not protein. If anything protein is the most counted macro out of them all. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule but can you name the bb's and posters on here who have ever said that?

Ironically I had a similar conversation with Bronston Austin a few days ago. The question I asked him was, did you or any other competitors ( that he was aware of ) of your era count their calories or ratio out their macros. His response was No. And stated he ate as much as he possibly could, regardless of which macro.

Bronston was big on blending-up his foods during his career in Bodybuilding, and still does today.

Last edited:
For non pros I think counting protein is important if for no other reason to ensure you are eating enough protein as to not lose too much muscle

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Ironically I had a similar conversation with Bronston Austin a few days ago. The question I asked him was, did you or any other competitors ( that he was aware of ) of your era count their calories or ratio out their macros. His response was No. And stated he ate as much as he possibly could, regardless of which macro.

Bronston was big on blending-up his foods during his career in Bodybuilding, and still does today.

That's different though. Obviously if you don't count macros you don't count protein. I don't count anything... I haven't a clue what I am eating in a day. The most detail I will usually go for is perhaps trying to get at least 300g protein a day but right now I just eat whatever I want when I want.

Ronnie started this thread with does anyone count protein cals when dieting? Personally everyone I know who counts carbs or fat will count protein too. I know loads of people/bb's who count nothing. Why would a person spend the time and effort counting carbs and fat and not protein too...seems stupid (cos it is). I should add sure if you are getting a certain number of carbs and fat then protein isn't that important (they spare protein) as long as it is above a certain amount. But again can Ronnie provide names of guys who have said that.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous, of course you need to count your protein cals!

Eating too much protein will put you in a surplus, and the OTHER cals from carbs and fats will be stored as adipose tissue.

Your posts get more ridiculous every time. Please name these people/bb's as they don't exist. Everyone I know or ever read about who who counts cals counts protein. Sure some may pay more attention to the carbs and fat but they definitely count protein. They may look at lowering/upping fat/carbs first but they always count protein into the equation.

Fibrous Veg/Greens and sups like fish oil may be something some guys don't count but definitely not protein. If anything protein is the most counted macro out of them all. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule but can you name the bb's and posters on here who have ever said that?

LMAO! Ronnie's threads... :banghead:

Still waiting on those pics hoss

That's different though. Obviously it count macros you don't count protein. I don't count anything... I haven't a clue what I am eating in a day. The most detail I will usually go for is perhaps trying to get at least 300g protein a day but right now I just eat whatever I want when I want.

Ronnie started this thread with does anyone count protein cals when dieting? Personally everyone I know who counts carbs or fat will count protein too. I know loads of people/bb's who count nothing. Why would a person spend the time and effort counting carbs and fat and not protein too...seems stupid (cos it is). I should add sure if you are getting a certain number of carbs and fat then protein isn't that important (they spare protein) as long as it is above a certain amount. But again can Ronnie provide names of guys who have said that.

Right, it is different in some regards. That's why I stated similar, my point was Bronston never counted kcal or placed ratios on macros. Not sure when all the mathematical sciences of kcal and macros came about in Bodybuilding? Any history buffs on this?

I do see what you are saying. If you're going to count two of three macros, why would you not count protein...? Hey, to each their own I guess.

Last edited:
Right, it is different in some regards. That's why I stated similar, my point was Bronston never counted kcal or placed ratios on macros. Not sure when all the mathematical sciences of kcal and macros came about in Bodybuilding? Any history buffs on this?

I do see what you are saying. If you're going to count two of three macros, why would you not count protein...? Hey, to each their own I guess.

This is just my assumption, but I would guess for the guys who don't count anything, they eat close to the same thing every day and have developed a baseline diet (for lack of a better term). They know if they eat their baseline diet, they are going to stay the same weight, so for them, all they have to do is add or subtract food to grow or diet. You can use the mirror as your judge and if you are gaining to fast, reduce the amount of food you added.. not losing enough weight, reduce food more... And isn't that what dieting really is? If you eat a variety of food though, the only way to know you are at your baseline is to know the macro breakdown of your foods

never heard of such a thing as not counting protein. there is some to a lot of fat calories depending on your protein source, so it would be difficult to estimate your calorie intake with out knowing about your protein consumption.

I have never heard of anyong doing this or talk about doing it ever

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I've heard of people not counting certain vegetable calories but never protein. I'll drop protein down a little if it let's me eat more carbs personally so long as I'm getting 250 protein im good. It's not so much that protein leads to fat gain although it can. It's the fact it is still energy that your body can tap into rather than bodyfat.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

I don't understand why you wouldn't count them if your going to count calorie us a calorie good or bad,,,,shit I count mine makes me feel Luke I've done something

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

This is just my assumption, but I would guess for the guys who don't count anything, they eat close to the same thing every day and have developed a baseline diet (for lack of a better term). They know if they eat their baseline diet, they are going to stay the same weight, so for them, all they have to do is add or subtract food to grow or diet. You can use the mirror as your judge and if you are gaining to fast, reduce the amount of food you added.. not losing enough weight, reduce food more... And isn't that what dieting really is? If you eat a variety of food though, the only way to know you are at your baseline is to know the macro breakdown of your foods
I don't compete, but I have a buddy that does. And this is what he does. I asked him if he counts his calories and he said no. Said he's been doing it so long he knows how much he needs to eat. Sometimes I see him eat. And it looks to me that he does portion control. He just knows how much to eat. Now in the off season, he's a bottomless pit. Dude can eat. !! Lol

400g of protein at 4 calories per....why in the hell wouldn't you??

you cant keep track of your fat if you dont keep track of your protein. Not if you are eating meat anyway.

I don't see the point in dieting to cut weight if you are not disciplined enough to count everything

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131