advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you do leg extensions and why? I don't.

i just do squats 1 all set to failure after a few warm ups, then after that i do leg press 750(all i can put on the machine) x 30 - 35, and then atleast 5 to 6 drop sets

....i am dead for atleast 10 mins... this has given me great growth. now if some one comes and says why dont you do leg extension, or whatever (i wud tell him "just get lost man").

i alternate staright sets to failure weeks/ high intensity (straight sets + HI techniques) weeks..

Last edited:
Like any other exercise, if you do it correctly (use the correct form and not over do it with weight) then you can benefit from it. If you choose not to check your ego at the door and want to impress other people in the gym then you can very well injure yourself. To say it's a completely useless exercise is non sense.

You get the same arguments with flat bench. Do guys get injured doing them (pec tears) yes, do guys do them for years and have no problems, also yes. To say that you shouldn't do them because you could get hurt, well with that reasoning there are several other exercises we should toss out to help avoid injuries.

I agree with you and DC on this... its just a feel good exercise Like super heavy shrugs looks good doing them but doesn't do a whole lot for you.
I have notice as of late a pain in what feels like the ACL area from doing leg extensions.
Amazing...one thing Ive noticed is DC is not wrong very often. Always a wealth of info.
But what about lying leg curls? Is this the same problem but in reverse?

Your hamstrings are meant to bring your leg back and propel you forward. The movement is natural.

rarely.....but if i do

its almost no weight for reps in the 100s
AFTER my REAL workout

I use them at the very end up my leg workout, usually 1-2 sets in a high rep range. My thighs, however, need a lot of work compared to my upper body. I'm considering eliminating extensions and adding in more pressing type movements.

Last edited:
I used to do them years ago, But as Dante stated is really the reason I do not do them anymore. My doctor after my quad surgery was explaining to me as stated before of how it is not designed to carry that heavy of a load as you extend. Just imagine your knee cap forcing what ever bits of cartilage underneath and just grinding like gravel, then add the weight ooohWeee makes me have goose pimples just thinking about it. Such a negative impact.

I start with squats, then to leg press.

After that I move to leg extension but always go high reps with lower weight. Ex) This Wed I did 2 sets, 100 reps x 80lbs.

There is no other exercise, for me anyways, that isolates the inner tear than this movement. I have a hunch that if you ask each person that injured themselves with this exercise, you'd find out that they were lifting extremely heavy weight. Then in this sense, yes, I think it's a very unnatural weight to movement.

I finish legs with them. I only use about 30lbs. I bring the weight up and hold it for 10 seconds and then lower it in 5 seconds.

Attachments

• a legs.jpg
    a legs.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 480
I used to do them years ago, But as Dante stated is really the reason I do not do them anymore. My doctor after my quad surgery was explaining to me as stated before of how it is not designed to carry that heavy of a load as you extend. Just imagine your knee cap forcing what ever bits of cartilage underneath and just grinding like gravel, then add the weight ooohWeee makes me have goose pimples just thinking about it. Such a negative impact.

why you don't keep the reps at 30-50 reps....I think you could avoid any injury that way......

I do like this exercise, but as Tenny said...Its after the REAL leg work. I do a few sets with high reps med light weight and very slow and controlled.

Used to do super heavy extensions for close to a year, then had a meniscus injury...

Cant say for sure they were related, but wouldnt be surprised at all to find out it contributed. Never went back, I do ham curls from time to time wt light weight single leg.

I use them at the very end up my leg workout, usually 1-2 sets in a high rep range. My thighs, however, need a lot of work compared to my upper body. I'm considering eliminating extensions and adding in more pressing type movements.

I wouldn`t eliminate extensions, I never hed any injury by incorporating in my leg rutin, and many other bbs with big leg devolapment(Tom Plaz, Phil Hernon just a few exemple) In a muscle stimulating study, safety squts hed 88% muscle fiber stimulating effect, seated leg extensions 86%, hack squats (90 degree angle) 78% and leg press 86%. If you know how do them correctly you will have no injury.

Yes if is to heavy.

Like any other exercise, if you do it correctly (use the correct form and not over do it with weight) then you can benefit from it. If you choose not to check your ego at the door and want to impress other people in the gym then you can very well injure yourself. To say it's a completely useless exercise is non sense.

You get the same arguments with flat bench. Do guys get injured doing them (pec tears) yes, do guys do them for years and have no problems, also yes. To say that you shouldn't do them because you could get hurt, well with that reasoning there are several other exercises we should toss out to help avoid injuries.

2x yes.

Leg extensions cause an unnatural torque on your knee. the extension of your leg is not designed to lift weights but to simply kick out to run. doing these put stress on the tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and even your meniscus. you can get all the leg development you'll ever need simply doing front squats.

I agree with Tom and DC on this. After my bilateral quad tendon rupture injury was repaired and I completed all my rehab, my surgeon told me I could train my legs with anything I wanted to do. He told me just keep my feet on a flat surface when training legs and NEVER do leg extensions.

I wouldn`t eliminate extensions, I never hed any injury by incorporating in my leg rutin, and many other bbs with big leg devolapment(Tom Plaz, Phil Hernon just a few exemple) In a muscle stimulating study, safety squts hed 88% muscle fiber stimulating effect, seated leg extensions 86%, hack squats (90 degree angle) 78% and leg press 86%. If you know how do them correctly you will have no injury.

Thank you Emeric. I've never had a problem with leg extensions, it's just that lately I haven't been sure if they are really that effective for building mass, which is what I desperately need. I do enjoy the feel I get from them though. I'll take your advice and keep the extensions in my routine.

Thank you Emeric. I've never had a problem with leg extensions, it's just that lately I haven't been sure if they are really that effective for building mass, which is what I desperately need. I do enjoy the feel I get from them though. I'll take your advice and keep the extensions in my routine.

Leg extension is one of the best for peak contraction for the front thighs.

Wish I could. After I got out of the Marines, my knees kill me when i try to do leg ext. All those hikes and jumping off a 7-ton destroyed them.

Anyone got tips on working around it? The pain is on the negative.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131