advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you do overhead press exe of various kinds for delts or have u abandoned them ?

For shoulders I have always done presses.
Lately for me Ill do them Standing in the rack. There brutal.

My other favorites are seated with DB`s
Or seated to the Front in the Smith Machine.

Then I will use Light weights and do all the raises after. I always like to press first though myself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAM6jCLRGOU"]Road To The Olympia 2010 Phil Heaths Shoulder Workout - YouTube[/ame]

Have not done military or db presses for years and do not miss them at all
Shoulders have never been better

As one poster said, this really varies according to a person's body structure. Some of us have different shaped collarbones and shoulder girdles. Some of us also have scar tissue from injuries, postural disturbances from being overweight as kids or sitting at computers all day, and some of us have impingement issues already wearing at our rotator cuff.

Behind the neck anything always makes me cringe just because the cervical spine is almost always compressed funky when doing it, not just because of the impingement of the cuff. But I can't sit here and say anyone is wrong or right.

What I can say is that just because you do something a certain way and haven't had an injury yet is not a good indicator of whether or not an exercise is safe for anyone else OR you for that matter. It takes time to erode away at tendons and ligaments. Some of us wake up decades later and wish we never did something a certain way.

So yeah, I'm discussing this more from an injury prevention standpoint rather than a proficiency standpoint.

No matter how you do your shoulders, it would make a huge difference to work with a trainer who understands scapular positioning and have them work with you when you train.

I am as guilty of it as anyone. It is soooooo easy for the scapula to protract or come right out of its natural position during certain parts of any raise or press. When you do this, you risk injury.

I think this is one of the main reasons people find flat bench so unhealthy. It's damn near impossible for people's anterior dominant muscles to be reigned in by their posterior stabilizers during the pressing movement.

If you're wanting maximum size etc, then listen to everyone else, because I don't have anything to share.

If you want to be able to throw a ball when you're 65, without wincing in pain, spend as much time as you can, and exercise as much humility as you can, retraining how you move weights with your shoulders retracted. Spend as much time as you can correcting your posture when sitting at a desk, or driving a car. Take time to learn how the body should be aligned. Get STRAIGHT before you work on getting STRONG. You'll be much happier in the long run.

And for many of us, there is most likely a lot of scar tissue that is built up over the years from misuse or from injecting AAS into our delts. Make sure you are doing corrective exercises and breaking down that tissue as much as possible so that you can retain natural movement. An overhead press with adhesions in your delts will cause some serious disturbances in movement patterns.

SUCK UP YOUR CROSSFIT HATE FOR A SEC > This could save your shoulder's lives...

Scapular Mobility | Feat. Kelly Starrett | MobilityWOD - YouTube

Kelly has a ton of videos that will help you understand how to move properly, so you can lift forever.

I could make a million comments, but look at 2:10 to notice how he corrects the arm floating too far away from the ear. Notice how much you might want to move your arm away from your ear when doing this kind of fascia manipulation...
Good read discohornet. I've been doing these for weeks, as I too have a bad rotator injury. My pain has subsided 50%. These are great tools to aid in muscle recovery also.

A bit off topic in regards to the original post but electroacupuncture is a worthy treatment protocol. I get it done twice a week for trigger points in my delts and back. Pm me if you have any questions. Worth the investment, some insurances will cover it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Since I started working with Queefer I have fell in love with presses on the smith machine!!!!!!!!

Kind of. In the short term maybe. Many people will say(for example) "I can't squat to parallel because my hips are tight, so that's why I squat high". OK well isolate the problem, and fix it. You don't just build all these limitations around issues which in many cases are rectified with some knowledge and effort.

I have a friend who had multiple shoulder surgeries(one botched by a military Dr) and surgery on both knees(both done poorly). When starting to train with me he could not even get his hands onto the bar when squatting. He'd literally have his hands touching the plates. He'd also squat 4" above parallel because his "knees hurt". I assessed the issues and we put a plan in motion. This took him having to check his ego(this is where many fail to improve).

We began an aggressive mobility protocol for his shoulders, pecs, lats etc. Literally in 2 weeks his hands were now 2" inside the collars,today a year later his hands are in a normal squat position.

His knees hurt because he didn't know how to squat correctly. We reprogrammed his movement pattern starting with the bar and over weeks, slowly, as long as technique was flawless we'd creep up in weight. Day one he was 1/3rd squatting 405 for reps, could barely get 185 at depth, 6 months later he was burying 405 for a few, and miraculously no knee pain. Go figure.

It just comes down to isolating the problem. The actual problem, which may not be what you think it is because you've conjured up all these notions in your head, and are SURE you can't do it. Why can't you do xx lift? What limiting factors? And correcting it. Many times this takes a second set of eyes to figure out. Shit I'd consider myself extremely competent with the technical side of lifting. I'm extremely good at isolating problems in people's technique and correcting them but sometimes struggle to figure out what is causing a certain issue in my own lifting. Sometimes it's hard to be truly objective with yourself. Luckily I'm surrounded by some highly skilled lifters and we all are constantly helping each other in this regard.

Sure there are some issues serious enough where doing a movement might not be worth the risk, or effort. This needs to be evaluated as well. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Imo one of the most important aspects in lifting is technical mastery. It's one that's extremely overlooked especially in the BB/Aesthetic guys. "feeling" the muscle and stuff like that is only part of the battle. Doing movements in a safe, and technically proficient manner is paramount for injury prevention, and longevity. Technical mastery is a life long pursuit.

Just, of course ;)

Oh wow is this every true. Even most of the top strength coaches don't do their own programing, Charles Poliquin one of the top strength coaches of all time has hired John Meadows not that long ago. It is definetly hard to be objective when it comes to yourself and sometimes the more knowledge you have the more you can mess things up, the phrase "paralysis by over analysis" comes to mind. I remember reading a good t-nation article by Dan John which talked about how he himself worked with a training once a week to make him do that stuff he hated but knew he needed.

I had a similar experience to yourself working with a buddy in the past that was a professional kicker, he could put his hand behind his head but his elbow would be flared to 90 degrees, he could not bring his arm up further. Same thing, crazy tight pecs, short/tight lats, thoracic mobility was brutal, tight immobile ankles, shitty glute activation etc.

My shoulders came from powerlifting. To many years toasted them. I still can do dB incline but over head barbell takes me out! Sucks... I still give a run every now and again and expect to pay for it though

On my cut I haven't. ..and tbh they r rounding nicely. Jus work front..rear and sides with maybe some trap work thrown in.

Altho when bulking I feel the presses add on some size and mass on the overall development

Work on scaption exercises for shoulder stabilization. Thumbs up, at 30 degree angle between ant deltoid flexion and middle deltoid flexion. Closer to middle deltoid flexion and u should feel better

She-ra pink weight

Weightlifter chiming in, I'm in the overhead position everyday in some form. All is well!

pressing movements for myself on shoulders is either dumbbell or behind the neck smith

Seen some info on the net that Overhead presses with dumbells /barbell /machines is unnessary for delts work and will potentially lead to overuse injuries down the road (as rotators gets involved in all overhead pressing movements).

Apparently there are three types of shoulder joint. For one of them, the bone insert point kind of curves inward, and people with that type tend to have more shoulder problems in general, but especially for overhead press and bench press. I'll try to dig up a diagram....

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear